PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Coincidently re chqs, I have a client who pays by chq every week (most pay by bank transfer, a couple pay cash). The bank in the village has, of course, closed. I therefore have to drive to the nearest town and pay a parking fee in order to bank the chq. Sometimes i incorporate other things into the visit, so i don't mind but most weeks I only go there to bank the chq. Time and money 'wasted'. I was thinking about it this morning, as i drove to town for this very reason. I may well start charging for payments by chq, to go some way towards the cost, perhaps just a pound per chq. It feels a bit mean but I am losing out atm. I'd prefer clients to pay via online banking so they are happy that my income is easy to scrutinise for tax purposes and I save time and costs.

Bag dropped off at charity shop - staff delighted with men's shoes!

Recycling out for collection.

Chores to do, must dash.

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    I pay cheques in via the post office, if needed (I do have special envelopes from Barc1ay5 for that purpose) - may be worth having a quick chat with your local PO staff? Plus, if you have to take a drive somewhere to bank it it's possibly more economic to spend the money on a 2nd class stamp to post it?

I know the folk in the PO, I'd rather not be banking this size of cheque there.....

Don't really mind a drive out today, feeling a bit stir-crazy. I work from home and am on a deadline, could do with a bit of a break.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Slinky, maybe you could opt for BACS payment next time? I have done that and if a refund is due it is paid within days of the tax return being submitted.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • iamsalt
    iamsalt Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Kittie, we are currently mid move and the storage unit is looking full....mum lives alone but "needs" 4 sofas to move with her to her soon to be built one bedroom bungalow. I think there will be another cull later when we start moving things out and she can see the space she will have.

Kittie, mum is 75 and this is a very tiring and tough move for her, anything you can do to prepare now means that you and those helping you are doing in a more positive way. We had discussed using removal firm, but mum feels uncomfortable about people being in the house and potential judging her, so we are trying to do as much as we can with friends help. Right back to the packing of stuff to be sorted later, feels a bit like a waste of time, but balancing the need to be speedy with her capability to sort when it's emotional means it's something I need to do.
    £400,000 starting Jan 2020 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £4000 so far £20 paid
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    Slinky, maybe you could opt for BACS payment next time? I have done that and if a refund is due it is paid within days of the tax return being submitted.

Thanks Floss, my accountant submitted it so I don't know why they didn't do/suggest this.

I've just driven to my nearest bank.......arggh, for whatever reason they no longer have stamps to stamp the paying in book counterfoil like our village bank did. No, they issue a paper receipt...... more clut. Will try and remember to check the account tomorrow to make sure it shows up, then force myself to trust the system and shred the piece of paper.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Magsterly
    Options
    Hi All,

I am a newbie to this so please bear with me.

I have started K'Ming books, CDs and DVDs but the charity shop don't want them and it seems a waste to throw them away - do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks, Magsterly
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Magsterly wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am a newbie to this so please bear with me.

I have started K'Ming books, CDs and DVDs but the charity shop don't want them and it seems a waste to throw them away - do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks, Magsterly
    :) Welcome to the madhouse.

Plenty of charity shops take those items, do you have an alternative chazzer(s) to offer them to? There's always carbooting, freegling, offering them to family/ friends, putting them in a box in your workplace/ outside you home with a FREE - Help Yourself! sign.

Also fundraising jumble sales for various causes would be pleased to take them, please don't throw these items away.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Depending on the genre of CD and DVD then you could try the high street chain C E X (you can check the value online by entering barcodes) or there's Music Magpie online where you can enter them all, they give you a price and a print off label and you box them up and send them off.

If you have a FB account then check out your local selling groups, bulk loads of cds and DVDs often sell on there. Most bootfairs round here have piles and piles of them and they rarely sell many. Saying that I did buy 4 compilation cds at one on Sunday for 50p each.....
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Z1ffit and Mus1c Magp1e work similarly - you can scan the barcodes in using an app on your smartphone, if you have one - otherwise it's typing them in by hand. I use Z more than MM - can send off a mixed package of CDs/ DVDs/ Books. They won't take everything. Worth scanning items in one and then scanning the rejected ones in the other app. Can also get cashback through quidc0/ tcb for them :) Can then give the remaining ones away (by whatever method :))
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Magsterly
    Options
    Thanks all for your suggestions. I am keen to avoid adding to landfill!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure