Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• mpython
    mpython Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nototentsdirect,

It is the same company as judith chalmers used to be photographed for, I presume she's outside their target demographic now.

However, I don't understand how you can call hpb an investment? Unless you mean like shares, their value can go down as well as up? Without knowing the initial sums, and how they've performed over time, & resale value, i don't think its right to describe it as an investment.

It may not be in the same category as holiday clubs or timeshares, but still has downsides. In the thread below (which also miraculously attracts lots of newbies singing its praises), user Alhambria admits to losing £1750 on a £13,000 purchase. Still that's way better than losing £6,000 like my in laws have on a £6,000 timeshare.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=426909&page=2

On the positive side, the newbies do at least admit that it is expensive but the properties reflect that.
    From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!
  • deewrigg
    deewrigg Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    You have got your sums all wrong. If you want to know how the system works get in touch with seasons holidays.

I know that we are lucky to have taken a number of holidays a year and now in our retirement our whole life is a holiday ...

Good luck to you.
  • mpython
    mpython Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi dee,

Please show me where I have got my sums wrong. This is the way I've done it (if I remember my o level maths right).

n=60
    S£2,371 *(1.06)n = £1.2m
    n=1

I've no intention of contacting seasonholidays and would consel anyone not to waste their time doin so either.

EDIT:- someone kindly sent me this link, OK, so the prosecution is a few years ago but the tactics and marketing offer sound remarkably similar.

http://www.carmarthenshire.gov.uk/eng/index.asp?locID=1&docID=3539
    From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!
  • charley38
    Options
    I'm a newbie to forums but is it me isn't £3750 for 1 week in the uk a lot of money, even if I have won it. Must be an exceptional 5 star place.:eek:

If I have won this wonderful prize why am I being asked for money. I have always been told if it's being given away as free with a hidden charge then it's a con. Geniune prize wins involve no costs to you. I think I will follow the majority and file it away in my recycling bin.
  • Esther_McVittie
    Options
    Anyone getting an essence of cod here! ;)
    "You give a little love and it all comes back to you! La La La La La La La!"
    Just loving comping and the good guys here!
  • simch
    simch Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Received on of these "prizes" by recorded delivery this morning.:j

I have filed the letter next to the downstairs loo, "in case of emergency".:D

I am just pleased they spent an extra 90p on the recorded delivery.

It's a very underhand tactic IMO and makes me thnk they must be scum of the highest order.
  • beachnut_2
    Options
    Hi I am new to this forum. I have come across this site several times now so decided to join.
    I have read the debate on the subject of the “Free” membership and thought I would give you my opinion.
    I have not been offered this deal nor do I own a membership or work for the company so this opinion is not bias.

The basics are that you are given a membership to a timeshare organisation for free. Many people will pay for a membership so it is sounding good at this point.
    On taking the membership you find that you will have to pay an annual fee of £367.00
    That is not so good if you can’t afford it. Don’t forget paying members will also have to pay this so you are not paying extra than others.
    If you can afford it you have to think about what you are getting for your money?
    7 nights accommodation for 4 people in a resort in the UK or Europe. That’s £13.10 pp per night for accommodation.
    I would guess the accommodation is at least 3 star so on that basis it sounds like a good deal.

I travel quite a bit and admit to owning timeshare with Disney. I pay an annual fee of $1000 (£650.00) and stay for 2 weeks in Disney’s Boardwalk or the Yacht and Beech Club. (4 people) so it works out £11.60 pp per night. If I was to stay as a regular guest the price for 2 weeks per person is over £1,000 giving me a total saving of over £3350.00 each year.
    I paid a little over £10,000 for my membership and would have been delighted if this was offered free!!!!
    So you see when you actually do the maths it is a good deal even if you had to pay for your membership so to get it free is fantastic.

If anyone can find me equivalent accommodation for less pp per night then I want to know about it !
    Even in the UK when I stay in Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow or any other city I pay at least £80 - £150.00 per night and that’s just for a single or double room!!

I annoys me as a timeshare owner how other people can call this a scam! A scam is where you pay money and get little or nothing in return. This offer seems to give you a good deal in return so my advice would be GO FOR IT. You have nothing to loose and can always say NO.
  • Hollypear
    Hollypear Posts: 1,265 Forumite
    Options
    bubbles8 wrote: »
    Sorry what do you mean "And I work for"?

I am currently involved with the timeshare.org.uk peole re these scams. YOU Bubbles are one the the reasons people fall for this. These theiving companies deliberately post on websites like this praising these companies to make it seem genuine.

As the man from timeshare.org plus my local trading standards said If something seems to good to be true it usually is.

Look at your post count 2!!!! and you think we are stupid on here to think you are genuine.

Here is a link to the Timeshare Council of Great Britain's long list of companies blacklisted.. http://www.timesharecouncil.eu/

Anyone who has dealt with a dodgy company can now reclaim it via a credit card payment refund via a London law firm..

Malcolm Bruce is also taking it up.

Also check out https://www.timesharetalk 's website. It is truly scary out there. Millions of people have been scammed and defrauded.
    Clique member no 1.:D
  • Hollypear
    Hollypear Posts: 1,265 Forumite
    Options
    beachnut wrote: »
    Hi I am new to this forum. I have come across this site several times now so decided to join.
    I have read the debate on the subject of the “Free” membership and thought I would give you my opinion.
    I have not been offered this deal nor do I own a membership or work for the company so this opinion is not bias.

The basics are that you are given a membership to a timeshare organisation for free. Many people will pay for a membership so it is sounding good at this point.
    On taking the membership you find that you will have to pay an annual fee of £367.00
    That is not so good if you can’t afford it. Don’t forget paying members will also have to pay this so you are not paying extra than others.
    If you can afford it you have to think about what you are getting for your money?
    7 nights accommodation for 4 people in a resort in the UK or Europe. That’s £13.10 pp per night for accommodation.
    I would guess the accommodation is at least 3 star so on that basis it sounds like a good deal.

I travel quite a bit and admit to owning timeshare with Disney. I pay an annual fee of $1000 (£650.00) and stay for 2 weeks in Disney’s Boardwalk or the Yacht and Beech Club. (4 people) so it works out £11.60 pp per night. If I was to stay as a regular guest the price for 2 weeks per person is over £1,000 giving me a total saving of over £3350.00 each year.
    I paid a little over £10,000 for my membership and would have been delighted if this was offered free!!!!
    So you see when you actually do the maths it is a good deal even if you had to pay for your membership so to get it free is fantastic.

If anyone can find me equivalent accommodation for less pp per night then I want to know about it !
    Even in the UK when I stay in Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow or any other city I pay at least £80 - £150.00 per night and that’s just for a single or double room!!

I annoys me as a timeshare owner how other people can call this a scam! A scam is where you pay money and get little or nothing in return. This offer seems to give you a good deal in return so my advice would be GO FOR IT. You have nothing to loose and can always say NO.

There is nothing wrong with timeshare in itslef. I have been some great holidays. It is these resale companies and you have won a free holiday companies that are scammers.
    Clique member no 1.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport