PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• Larumbelle
    Options
    Welcome emptynester :wave:

TMD, huge hugs :grouphug: it sounds like you are really going through it right now. Please do not go, we want you to stay!!! We all have bad times, and this is a place that you can share that and get it all out there, knowing that we will understand and support you.

Your other kids will learn to be more sensible and helpful, these are not skills that most of us are born with but we acquire them through necessity! Until then things might be a little more chaotic, but you are giving them life skills that will be hugely valuable to them in the future. And please do not worry about them having to help you. I had to do a lot around the house at a young age because of my mother's illness (epilepsy and severe depression) and my dad not being around a lot of the time. I never minded, in fact I think it made me a better person and a lot closer to my mum than I would have been otherwise. And if I ever have kids, they are going to be given plenty of household chores, partly to give them a good grounding and party to reinforce the idea that we are a family unit and all have a role to play in it!

Your job as a mum is not to run around after your kids doing every little thing for them. Your job is to bring them up to be good people (kind, considerate, and dependable) and to encourage them to take a good path in life. You have obviously done this marvellously, as you DD sounds like she is an absolute credit to you! University terms are not that long, she will be back before you know it, and in the meantime your other kids will adjust and keep things running smoothly, I'm sure.

It sounds like you are experiencing a triple whammy, a big upheaval, TOTM, and new meds (I hope you don't mind but I googled them, and this could be side effects as you get used to them). You WILL get through this and feel better. In the meantime please don't bottle it up. And please don't feel like you can't share how you are feeling!!!

You are in my thoughts xxx
  • Toomuchdebt
    Options
    Thank you all. I've had a lovely chat with her tonight via facetime and I feel a bit better. It still seems odd her not being here. I think it's just been a really hard 10 months from when I was in hospital to my diagnosis and now her going.I'm still getting used to not being 100% well-I mean I've been feeling ill for years but always put it down to just having lots of kids and being tired. And I didn't get the aches and pains then-it was just tiredness so I kind of ignored it and carried on. I've been on my own with the kids for 5 years but lately it's been harder rather than easier. I'm not sure why. Different problems I guess. My son has dyspraxia and hypermobility syndrome so he can be challenging sometimes. My dd4 has a problem with lying. I'm exhausted trying to cope with not only my physical problems but also fibrofog and the kids, the house, the car, everything. And then there's money problems and trying to pay debts off and being torn between cooking something and being too tired to eat it or just buying something. I'll get there in the end I hope.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    TMD I think your daughters departure for uni has just brought everything to the surface . I would advise you strongly to make the appointment to see your doctor .
    When you are calmer make a list of priorities . I don't know if you have an affordable arrangement in place for repaying the debt . I was lucky never to have debt so it must be hard when you have that hanging over your head . Others will probably be able to advise you on that than myself .
    On your list put yours and the childrens welfare as that's a top priority and does mean you will learn to take better care of yourself meaning you can care for them .
    I posted about my basic list - work out yours . Just what will keep things ticking over for now as it seems you need to just get from day to day at the moment .
    Does your ex have access to the children ? can he take some of the load by taking them out ?
    I would look to seeking some support for your situation , your doctor may be able to point you in the right direction .
    You'll get there love but as I said yesterday baby steps .
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Larumbelle
    Options
    Good morning all! :wave:

TMD I hope that you got a night's sleep and are feeling a little better and calmer this morning. I have been thinking of you :grouphug: I don't have much to add to everybody's wonderful advice other than to say, please remember that we are here for support x

Pollyanna you are right, it was so very kind of my group to donate the cabinets. I helped to build them when we first got them, so it's strange but very nice to have them in my home now that they are no longer needed. It's a small, tight-knit group for DIYers and 'makers', and I was surprised that they wanted me around. In my head, my mental health has consumed my entire personality. It still surprises me that they just see me as Larumbelle, who is going through a rough time with illness but is still worth knowing. They help in the best way, by just being normal but understanding, and nudging me towards these little DIY projects that I know are meant to give me a sense of achievement as much as they are to get my flat liveable! While I can't always do as much as I would like to within the group, I am constantly amazed and humbled by the friendships that I have made there.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Welcome aboard Emptynester.

TMD I'm glad you're feeling a little better after speaking with your DD; I'd be upset if you left us, so you can't! OK? :o
    Re the "mess" in the living room - baby steps - start with finding a home for one item, then congratulate yourself it's one bit less in the wrong place. ;) I speak as a paid-up Flylady. :o
    suki1964 wrote: »
    I can't mind who it was who posted about the damp affecting joints more. My GP tells me it's tosh. I know it's not. The first few days of the week it was either humid or peeing down and I was in agony. Friday was lovely, Saturday even better. Both those days I felt great. Today I could cry. All I've managed today is get a dinner cooked and hubby had to peel the veg and today it's dull, and mizzerly and cold.
    I can generally tell Mr LW what the weather's doing before he opens the curtains or logs onto the weather site.:D I knew it was drizzling this morning, because I couldn't move any of my joints without accompanying the effort with some "interesting" language! :cool:
    I was watching our little dog, Bonnie, she is a really happy creature - sometimes she just finds a warm sunny place and sits calmly there enjoying the world around her for a few minutes. I'm trying to spend time during the day with the same attitude ... 'I'll just sit here for a bit before I carry on.'
    Aww, bless her - animals are such a comfort. I love it when we have dogs here (for the past seven years we've been a host family for a dog-sitting service) - they provide a reason to shift my aching carcass in the mornings. :o

In fact, further on the retirement thing - I think a lot depends on whether you're doing a job you enjoy, or if it's hell-on-earth dragging yourself in to work every day. :cool:
    I was given medical retirement on both physical and mental health grounds at the age of 41, and I definitely felt like I'd been chucked on the scrap heap; but that said, I loathed and detested my job, so I wasn't at all sorry to never have to set foot in that place again.

Re opening jars and bottles - I have something very similar to this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bygone-Easy-Grip-Jar-Lid-Opener-Screw-Top-Bottle-Cap-Can-Hand-Remover-Gadget-New-/351758739600?hash=item51e6746890:g:zQMAAOSwc1FXX84r
    It originally belonged to Mr LW's grandmother, and it adjusts to pretty much everything, from wide-necked jars right down to KX bottles (supermarket version of R£d Bu11, which I drink for a caffeine kick when it's too hot to drink coffee).
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to post Pollyanna. :)

The problem is that DH and eldest DD are helping. Too much! I know it's stupid but that's my domain, my control, my purpose in life. I need to do it. I've gone with salads this week with protein that 'can be stuck in the oven'

I'm still waiting on my latest chest x-ray results (I was told it would be a quick come back but no, I have to wait 7 - 10 days trying not to tip the flu into pneumonia). I'm feeling better flu wise but interestingly I have been away at the caravan this weekend where I dramatically improved in terms of chest pain. Today, back at home my chest is sore and feels irritated again. I am wondering if my lovely little house rabbit is exacerbating things. I've never had a problem up until now though if it is her.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Larumbelle You will be doing your part within that little group too .
    You sound much more positive as you've taken on the challenges . You write such thoughtful posts here and I'm sure do the same elsewhere in real life . I have been happy to get to know you and I hope you continue to challenge the various thoughts your mental health has implanted . Remember you are you and not the past and make good use of your voice when needed x

Fuds You know what I'm going to say don't you ? Patience love hopefully this phase won't last much longer and you can ease yourself back into your routine . I can picture you seething with impatience but please give it time or I may have to do the northerners SHOUT and you really wouldn't like it . x
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TMD. I'm glad you are feeling a bit brighter this morning. Do stay posting, you need the support

Now you have your diagnosis, have you been in touch with any fibro support groups in your area? Seriously do try and get in touch with one. Just to be around other people with the same condition is helpful

I know on your last thread you were really struggling to get help around the garden. I was thinking more on that, did you try the Salvation Army or even the scouts?

Fuddle that's how I feel about the kitchen it's my domain. Salads and protein sounds good enough to me , I do that often as well. It's healthy, it's easy

I don't know what kind of area you live in, but for years I had the most terrible shortness of breath and hay fever type symptoms. Until I left London and moved to the country. For me it was the pollution that was a problem I notice I get very wheezy when I visit the city
  • oceanspirit
    Options
    Have just read through the thread and wanted to say thank you to everyone for sharing such useful information. I will probably start by buying the end for Henry hoover to see if that makes things easier before looking into buying something else. Henry has been with me for 26 years so I'm not keen to let him go when he still works perfectly and looks as good as new!
    I have a bit of stuff i go from OT - dycem which is really useful for gripping things too

I love Dycem too. If you buy it in the sheet version it can have multiple uses and you can cut it to a size that works for you. I use it for opening bottles and jars - one piece to grip the jar whilst holding and the other to twist the lid or one piece under the jar on the worktop and then use two hands to grip the lid. Also it can be wrapped around pens to make them thicker to hold, around car keys to help grip, turning taps on and off etc etc.

I keep some in my handbag to help whilst out and about and if it gets dusty, just wash in warm soapy water and the "stickiness" comes back.

This is what I use for opening ring pulls - it's brilliant as you use the tail end for flipping the ring up, then the hook goes onto the raised ring and you push down on the handle so that the gizmo pivots on the can lid whilst pulling it open:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinare-Ring-Pull-Opener-Blue/dp/B00K2TO0IW/ref=pd_lpo_201_tr_t_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PT1EQT7DPZH0PXTHJ6EG

I do have another gadget for opening jars which I am unable to find online and unfortunately don't remember where it came from. It has two rubber loops which hook over the top of the jar - one on the neck of the jar and the other over the lid, then a wing nut type handle on the arm of the gizmo then turns to tighten the loops which create the pressure to pop the lid open. It looks similar to this http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/kitchen%20and%20household/openers-with-adjustable-gripping-surface-p/cap-gripper-0046081-2286-information.htm but it's not quite the same as the one I have - I don't think I would be able to turn the wheel thing with my thumb.

For getting in and out of cars, I found a thick plastic carrier bag on the seat was much easier to use and more comfortable to sit on than one of those turntable things.

Soft grip clothes pegs are used to reseal bags of porridge oats, berry fruits in the freezer etc - so much easier to use than more traditional wire closers or klippits type closers.

If I can think of anything else, will post later as having bother today with fatigue and need to pace for going out later.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    oceanspirit thanks for the fantastic idea! I'm going to try my dycem on my crochet hook - I have some of those soft touch ones but just don't like them - I like the hook on my old favourite so shall try a bit of dycem on it and see if that helps!
    I got two smaller squares and a bigger bit to cut up from OT years ago and as you say it keeps working forever just with a wee wash now and then. Super stuff!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure