PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    If we get water supply problems we have a brook running on the other side of the road to the front garden although having said that it feeds from the hills and is currently running dark brown and full of mud. Though to this end, if I need water I know how to make a gravity fed sand and gravel filter, I'm going to get a gravity fed stainless jobbie with a ceramic filter and then I'll boil it before using it as drinking water. If I still have concerns there's the teaspoon of Milton Liquid in 5 litres and leave it 15 minutes method on top of all the others, surely after all that it must be potable?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You could get yourself a Sawyer filter.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Having seen a cadet gently handed down after the minutes silence - we think all that standing did a number on the blood pressure - my scouts wanted to know how to prevent it.

Most of us were clear that anyone who is stood still is in a tricky situation, but that lots of layers help. Leader most vehement looking whippet thin, and yet swathed in 3 layers under official shirt. I rather doubt preppers do a lot of standing still, but the layers advice is good stuff.

We reassured our scouts the cadet would be absolutely fine, but I will have a pack of salt & vinegar crisps & a flask of tea ready for next year.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Having seen a cadet gently handed down after the minutes silence - we think all that standing did a number on the blood pressure - my scouts wanted to know how to prevent it.

Most of us were clear that anyone who is stood still is in a tricky situation, but that lots of layers help. Leader most vehement looking whippet thin, and yet swathed in 3 layers under official shirt. I rather doubt preppers do a lot of standing still, but the layers advice is good stuff.

We reassured our scouts the cadet would be absolutely fine, but I will have a pack of salt & vinegar crisps & a flask of tea ready for next year.

There's also shifting weight between the feet, clenching the various muscles in the legs, behind and lower torso to keep the blood from moving and ensuring they eat a good breakfast including slow release carbs, protein and fat to avoid issues with hunger/low blood sugar. Many cadets will fuel themselves with Monster energy drinks and then wonder why they can't manage a couple of hours on their feet in unpleasant weather. Plus, s/he may have been unwell (or if a 'she', anaemic/dealing with the usual monthly threat to remaining upright).

I've definitely noticed that I'm struggling without eating during the day - I'm tired and unable to stand up for an entire lunchtime duty (which is OK, as they're content for me to sit on the steps for the period) - and despite my revulsion for anything beyond one tea, two black coffees and two cigarettes by 11am, I'm going to have to find something I can stomach - partly because random kids coming up to me and handing me sweets/biscuits because I 'look pale' and 'need to eat' is rather embarrassing.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Anybody upping their preps or plans after the news today re a no-deal Brexit getting more likely?
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Anybody upping their preps or plans after the news today re a no-deal Brexit getting more likely?

Nah. I always thought it was the most likely outcome with our Illustrious Leaders.

Cynicism goes hand in hand with prepping.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    :p They'll make a deal at one minute to midnight on the last possible day. You won't even hear anything sensible until 2019 at the very earliest.

I bought two jars of olives - eat one a week - one cannot be too careful. ;)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Even if they don't make a deal we'll get by somehow. Life surely is meant to be about change and challenges otherwise how do mankind grow as a race? We've a wealth of experience and ideas that can become solutions to any problem that arises and we've all made some preparation for what we can see happening so with a bit of innovation and the support of each other we'll be OK!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Just wondered what other people were stashing MrsL :)
  • It appears to be tinned tomatoes and baked beans in our house and I've already stashed tea lights (currently have 900) and boxes of cooks matches (14) and I've got to get tea bags and loo rolls as I've not stocked up again after the move and given the amount of pulses that we seem to have not having loo roll in the same quantity is NOT on is it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure