Electric cars

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Remember that the US truck weight limits are very different to European - over here, we have a BIG breakpoint at 3.5t GVW. Above that, you get into tachos, O licences, and different driving licence categories.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2018 at 11:52AM
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Remember that the US truck weight limits are very different to European - over here, we have a BIG breakpoint at 3.5t GVW. Above that, you get into tachos, O licences, and different driving licence categories.

True, and there's no indication of the Kerb or Gross weights, but as long as it's under about 2500kg empty it'll be fine. But I honestly don't think it'll be available to the European market; if it's successful we'll see a lot of similar platforms.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    (Deastons)
    I'll buy an electric car when both these apply:

a) Doesn't look ugly/futuristic/different
    b) Doesn't cost £50k+

When I can buy a car that happens to be electric, I'm in. I reckon it'll come in the next few years.

How about the Renault Zoe, launched in 2014? How about the eGolf?

(Martyn)
    Now, that's not a bad thing, in fact I'm impressed they are doing so well so far, but, you need to understand that Tesla was also profitable against variable costs as proven by their reaching profitability after the S, then after the X and (taking their word for it) shortly after the 3 reaches the adequate production levels.

Yes. Let's leave it at this para, which I agree with. I got ahead of myself with Zoe profitability, and I'll back it up to 'Renault are ahead of other 'legacy' manufacturers in terms of profitability. They're not there yet, per unit, but are closest. Never had any problem with any of the Tesla part there.
    But, and this is genuine, you said a while back that I'd posted positive spin. That's not been my intention. Can you point me to these as I may need to revise/edit them if that's true.

Maybe we need to define spin? I'm taking it to be adding opinion to fact - At the basic level 'Tesla aren't in profit, but that's not a bad thing' I suggest is positive (pro Tesla) spin. 'Tesla aren't in profit, and that's a bad thing' is negative spin. Spin free would be 'Tesla aren't in profit' - I guess that's what I've been banging on about.
    There is nothing wrong with 'spin' (if you accept that definition), you're wholly transparent about being pro-EV, and I am too. But it's opinion added to a fact, and can lead to opinion and fact being confused.
    For instance, (made up numbers alert) let's say sales of EV's represent 2% of all sales, but the sales are rising approx 40%pa, then we will see an approx doubling every two years. I might say that theoretically they could hit 64% and 100% in 10 and 12 yrs time. That's being positive. Positive spin is if I say they will hit 100% in 12yrs.

Absolutely. I think we've been through this one in this very thread! (More madeup numbers) - you say 'EV sales have doubled this year, that's great' - that's a fact, plus positive spin.
    AdrianC replies saying 'yeah, they make up 2% of cars on the road, not great' - that's another fact, with negative spin.
    You're both right, but using different facts to forward your different hopes and dreams (agendas? Having an agenda isn't a bad thing either!).

(zeupdater)
    Hi

Maybe I could help here

You did, the penny was already dropping, but it has landed!
    It's pretty simple really! ....

(Martyn)
    You are kidding, right? My head is still spinning

Agreed!

(Car54)
    Neither. I was simply pointing out that there’s is a difference between facts and predictions/projections/guesses.

Yes! We just need to be careful about keeping these separate.

(zeupdater)
    it's often possible to move an entire product line from being loss-making into profit through reducing prices (yes reducing prices!) to grow market share ...

I'd argue (without a shred of evidence to back me up!) that this is what Renault did in 2015, and how they got me into an EV in the first place. Get the things on the road, build awareness.
    Yep, massive disruption. I think it was Koenigsegg (can't spell it) that said the Tesla Roadster had re-written the rules and no ICE car without an element of EV could be on top any more.

I hope they leave 'some' performance cars alone. They have a place - not commuting, nor a school run, but I'd hate to lose the sound of a V10 to history! Hopefully we'll be left in a situation where enthusiasts are prepared to, an able to, pay a bit of a premium to buy and keep 'special' cars on the road.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    That'll be hugely disruptive to the truck market; it destroys all of the previous justifications for having a big petrol/diesel engine - it's faster, more powerful, larger capacity, more storage, (potentially) more range.

That'd be a serious contender for our next family car if it was available in a SWB SUV body, because I've got no need for an open back (and was available in the UK in RHD for under £40,000).

The stats look good, the same can be said about the Tesla pick up, but until they are made, or bolted down a bit more I think we need to keep one eye on the price, after all, as one commentor points out, 300 miles from 100kWh sounds 'iffy' given that the big Tesla's do that with a little bit of better aero.

But great news that the competition is growing if you include the Workhorse range extender pick up.

And another but, also note the size of US pickups, they are monsters. What we call pickups, Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger etc are 'small pickups' in the US. The F150, Silverado 1500 and Ram 1500 are massive (and I love em!) :o

Some great stuff coming ................... eventually.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    almillar wrote: »

Maybe we need to define spin? I'm taking it to be adding opinion to fact - At the basic level 'Tesla aren't in profit, but that's not a bad thing' I suggest is positive (pro Tesla) spin. 'Tesla aren't in profit, and that's a bad thing' is negative spin. Spin free would be 'Tesla aren't in profit' - I guess that's what I've been banging on about.
    There is nothing wrong with 'spin' (if you accept that definition), you're wholly transparent about being pro-EV, and I am too. But it's opinion added to a fact, and can lead to opinion and fact being confused.

Hmm. I'll have to think on that, where does positive opinion become spin. Perhaps your example is correct,
    'EV sales have doubled this year, that's great'

I'd call that me adding an opinion to the news, but I can see how it could be read as my defining it as good news. Obviously in this example I think it is good news 'fact' as I'm 100% convinced that EV's are better than ICE's (as a transport solution), but some may not .... hmmmm, tricky.

Will have to consider 'micro-spin' in future. What I'm against is 'proper' spin, such as, Tesla hasn't made a profit recently, so therefore Tesla is unprofitable as a company. The start is fine, that's how spin works, but the conclusion or intonation goes too far.

So long as most of us are aware of anti-EV and especially anti-Tesla spin and posters, then none of it really matters in the big scheme of things, especially if they are profitable now, or next quarter - then there's no going back on EV's, but I bet the old and big US companies will resist as long as possible.

I hope they leave 'some' performance cars alone. They have a place - not commuting, nor a school run, but I'd hate to lose the sound of a V10 to history! Hopefully we'll be left in a situation where enthusiasts are prepared to, an able to, pay a bit of a premium to buy and keep 'special' cars on the road.

Big smiles from me. I'm a V8 rumble lover, hardly ever bothered to take the removable stereo with me for a spin when I had the Firebird.

And I like the purr of a V12, but the somewhat unbalanced racket from a V10, like the 8.3lt Viper (or Ram SRT truck) is perfection ..... in my opinion.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2018 at 11:27PM
    Options
    As far as I can tell the emissions restrictions only apply to road registered vehicles. There's nothing to say we can't have track spec cars made with V8 or V10 engines that people can take to track days on a trailer pulled by an EV. I know I'd rather be blasting a muscle car round a track than sitting on the M6 in rush hour.
    The move to electric should in theory free up what's left of the petrol for leisure use.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely. I think we've been through this one in this very thread! (More madeup numbers) - you say 'EV sales have doubled this year, that's great' - that's a fact, plus positive spin.

AdrianC replies saying 'yeah, they make up 2% of cars on the road, not great' - that's another fact, with negative spin.
    Point of order, Sir.

2% of new car sales in a given year is very, very different to 2% of cars on the road...

<grin>
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Point of order, Sir.

2% of new car sales in a given year is very, very different to 2% of cars on the road...

<grin>

But how different? By a factor of 2 say, or 22?

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Point of order, Sir.

<grin>

Sure thing. Just a made up, hypothetical example remember.
    I'd call that me adding an opinion to the news, but I can see how it could be read as my defining it as good news.

Will have to consider 'micro-spin' in future. What I'm against is 'proper' spin, such as, Tesla hasn't made a profit recently, so therefore Tesla is unprofitable as a company.

Well... If you can argue that they CAN make a profit in the future, DESPITE not making one now, because they have a plan, why can't someone else argue that they CAN'T make a profit in the future because they haven't done yet?

And I don't think our lovely gas guzzlers should be restricted to tracks. I don't think they need to be banned either. Economics will mean you only run one because you really want to. Nobody's going to be passionate enough about Vauxhall Zafiras to use them on the school run, when the 'e-Zafira' is cheaper and kills children less.

When ICE cars on our roads are the exception, rather than the rule, the problem is already solved, and there will be other big polluters to chase - shipping, air freight, industry etc. The motor industry has already cleaned its act up massively (kicking and screaming prehaps) and having 'most' cars on the road being EVs is 'enough' for me.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Well... If you can argue that they CAN make a profit in the future, DESPITE not making one now, because they have a plan, why can't someone else argue that they CAN'T make a profit in the future because they haven't done yet?

Again, for clarity, they might be making a profit now, but we won't know for another month, though I assume no profit, or a small profit (IMO). Again, I've pointed to you accidentally making many false claims when misunderstanding correct claims I have made. So, if you know that Tesla is not making a profit now, then you need to provide that information to support your position of fact - whereas I have only said that current profitability is possible.

But, Shirley law of averages kicks in, if their business plan has worked so far each time, then one can assume (only assume) that when the required conditions apply (chiefly production numbers) that they will make a profit again.

That's not spin, just a calculated guess, with supporting information, whereas denying profits, past, present and future isn't a guess, it's simply a wish based on a person's dislike for EV's or Tesla.

In all of the profit discussions so far (myself and Z) I believe we've referred to past results and business models, and production numbers to justify comments and opinions. That doesn't mean we aren't speculating, but at least we are being rational about it.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback