Options

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 September 2018 at 2:28PM
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Thanks. Certainly explains the benefits of dumping policies, and why of course in most scenarios for everyone else, that's a bad thing ..
    Hi

More realistically, it explains why companies that don't have the necessary product throughput can't make a profit at globally competitive prices and therefore claim that overseas competition must be dumping goods below cost.

If you use the example provided and take it to represent an entire company producing 1 million units, it's possible to say that on (say) £110million of annual sales the company reported no profit - ie they weren't profitable. If you're one of a number of competitors making a similar product at a similar price which also resulted in a break-even situation and noticed that in the next year you were losing market share to a competitor which had reduced their price to £100 despite their previous year published accounts showing that they made no profit, the initial assumption would be that they were dumping production at a loss, however the example shows that through doubling throughput it's possible to accommodate a £10/unit price reduction and move the company from break-even on £110million turnover to making £15million annual profit on a £200million turnover!

As an example ... this is exactly the argument that the EU based solar panel manufacturers used to convince the EU to impose MIPs on Chinese made solar panels as an anti-dumping measure - EU panel manufacturing may be just as efficient in technology terms, but the market share isn't large enough to compete on overhead dilution grounds ... the EU manufacturers (probably with an eye on shareholder & stock-market reactions) historically refused to lower their prices to maintain market share in an expanding market, so they simply lost out on taking advantage of economies of scale - by the time they'd noticed the game was already lost, turning to EU protectionism became the only available option for survival ... my thoughts, it's never really been a problem with Chinese dumping, it's lack of strategic foresight, poor management decisions & a general belief within the EU that protecting prices protects margins which in turn protects jobs ... it all comes out in the wash - eventually!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ouch! That changes the game somewhat.

Dirty Reality Catching Up With Fossil Fuel Vehicles

That's pretty painful reading for ICE vehicles, but it's long overdue and likely to really push EVs forward. Flsgship performance cars either having to be power restricted or banned from sale until fixed. This could easily mean the next M3 will have an EV component to avoid falling even further behind Tesla.

That's going to be seriously disrupting.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 September 2018 at 5:15PM
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Where did I say I disagreed?

It was clearly implied:
    Car_54 wrote: »
    So your “fact” checking includes suggestions and predictions?

Spin and FUD, FUD and spin.

You didn't point out any differences between facts and predictions/projections/guesses.

I 'suggested' the info in the link I attached proved the 4m figure was a fact. The 'projection' in the discussion was after / above and beyond the 4m figure.

All you did was ignore the facts, facts placed in front of you, to project FUD and spin . Of course shortly after your original interjection, Ade admitted he was wrong and confirmed the 4m was fact.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Tesla to build and deliver twice as many cars in Q3 as Q2!

Bombshell: Tesla Announcement Implies HUGE Quarter 3
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    That's pretty painful reading for ICE vehicles, but it's long overdue and likely to really push EVs forward. Flsgship performance cars either having to be power restricted or banned from sale until fixed. This could easily mean the next M3 will have an EV component to avoid falling even further behind Tesla.

That's going to be seriously disrupting.

Yep, massive disruption. I think it was Koenigsegg (can't spell it) that said the Tesla Roadster had re-written the rules and no ICE car without an element of EV could be on top any more.

I'm going to have to get an EV as I find braking annoying every time now thinking of all that energy being wasted and somewhere around 4x as much FF energy that created it. Also, is it just me, or do main roads now sound louder - I'm sure cars have gotten quieter over the years, but lately I'm noticing just how much noise there is - old and grumpy perhaps? ;)

• silverwhistle
    Options
    Thanks for your explanations Zeupater: I intuitively understand them, just not the maths!
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Article on a mighty pick up truck for the US market (2m pa) with great specs, prototype launch 2019 and limited production in 2020. But note the article is sponsored by the company.
    300-500 mile ranges, plus

Equivalent or better payload capability to current trucks, up to 5,000 lbs

Equivalent or better towing capability to current trucks, up to 35,000 lbs GCWR for fifth-wheel towing

Gradeability 6% at 65 mph indefinitely (no time or distance limit other than battery capacity) at full load for all versions

Extended cab or crew cab

0 – 60 in less than 5 seconds, unloaded
    0 – 60 in less than 18 seconds, fully loaded at max GCWR
    Top speed 120mph

Pricing from $45,000

Atlis Motor Vehicle Sets The Bar For The Fully-Electric Truck

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I may regret stirring here... But what do we reckon the impact on Tesla is of Elon Musk's antics? He's clearly harmed the share price a few times - is he going to be a significant factor in putting off buyers?
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    I may regret stirring here... But what do we reckon the impact on Tesla is of Elon Musk's antics? He's clearly harmed the share price a few times - is he going to be a significant factor in putting off buyers?
    Buyers? No.
    Investors? Yes.

And they're the ones that matter most.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,741 Forumite
    Options
    Article on a mighty pick up truck for the US market (2m pa) with great specs, prototype launch 2019 and limited production in 2020. But note the article is sponsored by the company.

Atlis Motor Vehicle Sets The Bar For The Fully-Electric Truck

That'll be hugely disruptive to the truck market; it destroys all of the previous justifications for having a big petrol/diesel engine - it's faster, more powerful, larger capacity, more storage, (potentially) more range.

That'd be a serious contender for our next family car if it was available in a SWB SUV body, because I've got no need for an open back (and was available in the UK in RHD for under £40,000).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback