The Happiness Fund.

Options

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 February 2017 at 5:57PM
    Options
    I was woken up by a call from the hospital who have invited me in for a scan on my larynx in two weeks. That really cheered me up. The lady couldn't hear a word I said so she told me to write the appointment down.

I am using Storm Doris to my benefit. It is so windy I have hung two lots of washed clothes out to dry.Am keeping an eye on them so they don't blow away. I used a lot of clothes pegs!!!:rotfl: It is so windy outside I wont walk in that. I might blow away.

That's the advantage of sickleave. You actually get to see the weather.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    I am so pleased you got such a quick response from the hospital SW at least its a short wait.

Hope your washing didn't blow off the line. The wind here seems to have dropped now and the sky has turned blue so its a brighter afternoon which is a bit more cheery than the pouring rain and howling gale this morning when I left for work at 6am !
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Hello Skint Again, all washing dried in less than an hour. Each towel had 6 pegs on it.

I am hoping tomorrow will be a calmer day as I want to have a walk and mop my floor.
  • savingwannabe
    edited 24 February 2017 at 5:43PM
    Options
    Woke up this morning feeling ok. Tried speaking and it hurts so I went back to bed. I am such a wimp. Woke up now and I am going to enjoy myself. [STRIKE]I might clean my windows. Must pick up drs note. [/STRIKE]That's it for today as I don't want to burn myself out.

Also texted someone who might be able to fix my vacuum cleaner. Noone got back to me and I can't stand clutter so I ordered a new Miele from Ao.com on at a fab price through Top Cashback as no vouchers worked. Total cost £139. Thank goodness for credit card, but I will pay it off even if I have to empty the Christmas Fund. Delivery is Sunday as I think I am meeting friends tomorrow.

I bought a second hand one last year for more money than this- what a waste that ended up being. Note to self : I shan't be buying a second hand Miele ever again.

Weather is gorgeous, it looks like summer. I just saw the bulbs I planted a few weeks ago, I don't believe it they are coming up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hurrah a bonus, one year early.
  • bobobski
    Options
    Congratulations for finishing your marking, what a weight off your shoulders!

Sorry to hear about your throat - hugs! I have no idea if it's good for sore throats but crushed garlic is one of those magical things that helps with general illness. It sounds gross, but following my friends' advice if I'm feeling under the weather I crush a clove of garlic, put it on a spoon, fill the spoon up with olive oil then down it in one go (DON'T chew - just throw it down your throat). Immediately follow it with something sweet to take the edge off - I use honey but I know you need to be careful with that so maybe some tea with sweetners or something? I have no idea if this is a good website, but see for example point 3 here: https://authoritynutrition.com/11-proven-health-benefits-of-garlic/.

Well done on the cross trainer - 5 minutes is 5 minutes more exercise than I've done in months! If you're out of practice just getting on the thing is a big deal, and you shouldn't overdo it anyway, so I think you should be proud of that.

I'm glad your flowers are coming up, and that Doris didn't blow them away.

How's your bank account switch coming along? x
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Enjoy your day out with friends SW and well done on the bargain price hoover. I have to admit I've never used cash back sites - do you find the cashback usually comes through ok ?
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Enjoy your day out with friends SW and well done on the bargain price hoover. I have to admit I've never used cash back sites - do you find the cashback usually comes through ok ?

Just to add my two cents: I do use cashback sites but am not always successful. I find Top Cashback pays more but Quidco is more robust in actually getting you your money. My most recent failure was TCB --> Go Compare --> car insurance provider. The cashback was supposed to come from Go Compare but they claimed they had no way of tracking my purchase, even though the way cashback and comparison sites work is by tracking purchases!
  • savingwannabe
    edited 25 February 2017 at 3:39PM
    Options
    I haven't used them for ages, I couldn't even remember my password! luckily Norton does. I think I last used it about 4 years ago.

I have cancelled going out as I don't think I could cope with a pub and noise I am staying in but [STRIKE]I might go for a walk in a bit as I have a fleabay parcel to post.
    [/STRIKE]done.
    I wish vacuum cleaner was coming today but I will find some cleaning to do. Thanks for the suggestion, but I am a coward, yikes to garlic! I daren't risk it, it might repeat and I don't want to lose my friends!!!! lol.

Seagulls are going bonkers in next doors garden. You see a lot when on sick leave.

I have just seen two large book cases on G+mtree, which will be great in the garage. I am texting to see if my handyman can pick them up for me and fit them. £40 is the cost for both but I will have to pay for his building and transport. Mission declutter! Next week I can take out old rubbish cupboard in garage and get him to put these up. Hurrah something to look forward to!

Bread and water next month I think if I have new bookcases and vacuum cleaner. The vacuum cleaner is a necessity as I will DIE without it. I can make do with the cupboard but I am going to go for it as I need to keep busy whilst I am off work so i don't get depressed watching Dooonald on the News. It's cheaper than therapy. lol.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    How exciting and nice to have something to look forward to :cool:
    Its good to have a clear out and get some order in your life, being more organised = less stress. Just wish I could do the same :D

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    edited 25 February 2017 at 7:22PM
    Options
    If I was at work there is no way I would be able to do this. I just about manage to feed myself after work. It is the only plus of being off work. I only do projects like this in the summer holidays.

It is so cold outside. I don't know if I fancy clearing out garage. I will though as it will pass time.

It's raining outside now. I am quite excited about the hoover coming tomorrow.

PS my new card for new current account came today. I am hoping I will get payment soon so I can use it to pay for the vacuum cleaner or my house insurance. Yay to MSE:D

OK in the spirit of being moneysaving I thought I would cook chicken fried rice - so glad I didn't put the peas in as it was pants. Why can't I cook like the Chinese takeaway????? Is there anyone who has ever worked in a takeaway that can tell me why my rice is mushy? I wonder if I used the wrong kind? Balls I will have to cook something else tomorrow as it is going into the bin.:(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure