Half a house

Options

Comments

• Silence101
    Options
    FLOORING
    I've ordered the underlay for upstairs and as soon as Mr S gets back from work, we'll order the carpet. Both should arrive mid week. It looks like it'll be about £300 ish for the whole lot, instead of £300 per room! So a massive saving, which is great (especially if we might need a fitter after all!)
    Mr S gets paid Monday, so we will have more of an idea of how much funds we've got for downstairs.

PAINTING
    I just realised I can't paint tomorrow as we might have to remove the skirting boards, so that's a job for next week. I might still go up to plant some bulbs.

Miscellaneous
    Because the upstairs flooring is much cheaper than anticipated, I can start buying accessories and storage. We might have to do an Ikea trip by the end of October, but I'll also have a look at what we can DIY.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Woo hoo.
    Great news on all accounts. How exciting.

Have a fabulous weekend and make sure oh carries you over the threshold.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Silence101
    Options
    Woo hoo.
    Great news on all accounts. How exciting.

Have a fabulous weekend and make sure oh carries you over the threshold.
    Thanks! I'd forgotten about that :rotfl: will have to remind him tomorrow!
  • Silence101
    Options
    I'm a bit grumpy (I sound like my children :) ) today. It's been a bit anticlimactic as we can't actually do anything in the house at the moment, and (un)reasonable Mr S is vetoing all my attempts at buying pretty things as apparently there's nowhere to put them at the moment. (Unfortunately for me, he's right).
    I think timeline wise we'll be moved in by mid October which seems so far away! And most of the jobs are either a two person job or just for Mr S's as he's stronger. I could possibly be packing, but where's the fun in that?
    In the mean time the house we're actually living in needs a bit of TLC, in all the excitement and nerves the housework has been forgotten, so that's my fun Saturday sorted...
  • Silence101
    Options
    Flooring
    Today we'll be putting the carpet grippers in place, ready for when the underlay arrives (should be Tuesday).

The Move
    Mr S has told me that we might be able to borrow a van from work for free, but only if it's available (obviously). It does mean we might be moving next weekend if that's the available slot. Suddenly packing seems to be a much bigger priority than it was yesterday!

School
    We still can't apply for schools as we don't have proof of address. I'm hoping we get the paperwork asap, as the sooner we get it sorted, the sooner oldest child can get settled.

Utilities
    Mr S has made a list of who we need to contact, so we'll be working through the list this week, and I'm hoping we'll have the phone line/internet sorted before we actually move in properly. The new house is 1h30 walk away from current place, and I've got to do the school run in the opposite direction, so I'm a bit worried about how I might need to be in 2 places at once!
  • Silence101
    Options
    The office space
    We've decided my desk will be in the bedroom, there's a little recess there, perfect for my desk. Initially I wanted shelves over it, but I've just remembered that we have two antique wall cabinets (one is an old humidor) that we've been keeping without being able to use in the rented accommodation, and they should be just right for what I need. I initially thought they would work downstairs, but they would actually get in the way, and end up being clutter spots. With this new idea, they would have a very practical use, and be out of the way.
    And it's free! (Biggest bonus!)

Flooring
    Mr S managed to put grippers down in the bedroom yesterday, but he finishes work late tonight, so I'm not sure if he'll be up to doing much tonight. Tomorrow I'll be stuck at home waiting for deliveries for the underlay and maybe even the carpets. I guess it'll be a perfect time to continue packing (start, if I'm honest :) )
  • Silence101
    Options
    Flooring
    So today we're getting all the deliveries for the flooring upstairs. I had to order it to our old address as I need to do the school runs. I'm not sure how we'll be able to take it up to the new house with our little car, but I'm sure we'll figure something out. Might need to create some kind of wooden contraption for the length of the carpet rolls to keep them rigid (I'm worried they'll fold over in the middle and that the fold will still be visible after fitting.)
    We still don't know what flooring we're having downstairs. We'll have to decide by the weekend as time is going to run out if we're not careful.

Packing
    We can't borrow the work van after all (or at least not weekends) so we will have to hire one. It'll probably be towards the middle of October at this rate, although if we manage to sort out flooring sooner, it could be before that. We'll start taking bits and bobs over once upstairs is carpeted. I think we can fit more than expected in the car, especially if we're doing multiple trips.

Painting
    We've got 2 walls to paint, one upstairs, so we can do that soon, as we're not moving the skirting boards, and the downstairs one will have to wait until we know what flooring we're going for. As you can see, there's a recurring theme at the moment :)

School
    Still no paperwork (we've been told it'll be tomorrow) so I haven't been able to send the application. I doubt eldest child will be in the new school until after half term now, but you never know.
  • Silence101
    Options
    I can't wait for us to be settled and know just how much our budget will be on an average month, so we can try and make regular OPs. If we get our deposit back, and the cash back from the mortgage as well as find a way to keep flooring down, our emergency fund should be coming close to the £5000 goal, which means we'll be able to overpay more every month.
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Congratulations on getting the keys!! Wishing you the best of luck in your new home!
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • Silence101
    Options
    Thanks! I can't wait for the weekend, when we'll be able to start taking stuff up to the house!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure