Half a house

Options

Comments

• Silence101
    Options
    Painting
    I'm off to buy a roller, so I can paint the bedroom wall before Mr S puts the carpet down in our room.
    I'll be doing that this morning while Mr S is at work, and then I can help him putting the carpet down, or the grippers for the stairs.
  • Silence101
    Options
    What a long day! I'm not used to this much physical activity anymore!
    Painting
    I've painted the wall in the bedroom. We'll check it tomorrow to see if it needs one last coat.
    Flooring
    It took me 3 hours to put the grippers on the stairs and another 2 to put all the underlay down. I've just had a nice hot bath to try and recover!
    The girls bedroom flooring is finished, lovely pink carpet! We'll be putting the carpet on the stairs and our bedroom tomorrow (if we have enough time, it all takes so much long than anticipated!)
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    I'm impressed you are laying carpet yourself.
    I wouldn't even know where to start.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Silence101
    Options
    Mr S has fitted the carpet following YouTube videos. I'll be helping/hindering him tomorrow, although I did do all the underlay and grippers for the stairs, which was a much bigger job than I anticipated!

We are thinking of going to see different flooring options for downstairs tomorrow morning, as time is ticking and all the options seem to be labour heavy, so we need to get started as soon as upstairs is done (hopefully by Sunday!)

The local council is giving plants away tomorrow, so we're going to see if we can have some for the garden. I think it's going to take a long time before we know what plants work in the soil, and how to have colour all year round.

We noticed a for rent sign in front of our place so I'm expecting the estate agents to want to do viewings. It's going to be tricky to get the place neat enough now we've started packing. Once the upstairs of the new place is carpeted I think we're going to start moving stuff into there, but there's still a lot of boxes that belong downstairs. I'm sure they'll be used to it, but it's the first time we've been in a position where viewings might happen while we are still here.
  • Silence101
    Options
    Flooring
    We've made a decision for downstairs. We've bought engineered wood flooring for the living room, and the underlay. It was just over £420 so not bad for the size of the room, and about half the price of other options we were looking at.
    We'll probably do tiling in the hallway.

Garden
    We managed to get quite a few flowers, so they'll brighten the garden up for the time being.

Appliances
    Mr S is picking up our freezer and washing machine from his parents' garage today. We still need to buy a fridge and a dishwasher (2nd hand).

Furniture
    We've decided we will try and get a bunk bed after all, so I'm going to see what I can find online. We also need wardrobes, but I've seen some 2nd hand ones for about £50 so it won't break the bank.
  • Silence101
    Silence101 Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    First day of the month!

Busy day planned, we're hoping to get all the carpet down today. I made a mistake with the stair carpet yesterday so have wasted quite a bit of carpet, so it's going to be tight. We're bringing a roll of paper to make templates today, to avoid wasting anymore.

We're also hoping to have time to paint, garden and start putting underlay downstairs.
    We're planning on tiling the hallway, but we should have a big enough carpet remnant to cover it for the time being if we run out of time before we need to move.

I've set up my goals for the month, some should be more manageable than others (the first 2 are going to take a lot more willpower, especially the fizzy drinks one!)

October Goals

Dry October
    0/31
    No Fizzy Drinks
    0/31
    Daily Tilly Tidy
    0/31 £0 total
    Set up rent and mortgage Standing Orders
    Set up internet banking for mortgage
    Overpay £100
    £0/£100
  • Silence101
    Options
    Another long day, but all the carpet has been fitted, the underlay is laid downstairs, the 2nd wall has had 2 coats, and I managed to plant some more flowers.
    We had a takeaway, so not a very cheap day, but still cheaper than if we'd paid for fitting.

Last night I actually wrote a list of jobs for both of us to do, and we managed to tick them all off. By midday I really thought we might only manage half as the stairs were a lot harder than anticipated, but we did it all in the end.

Tomorrow is going to be spent at home packing, cleaning and resting.
  • Silence101
    Options
    The plan for today is to pack all the books, and start packing the bedroom stuff. There's a lot of things that we might be able to declutter too.
    Mr S might be able to put some of the flooring down tonight, depending how tired he is after work.

October Goals

Dry October
    1/31
    No Fizzy Drinks
    1/31
    Daily Tilly Tidy
    £1.39 total
    Set up rent and mortgage Standing Orders
    Set up internet banking for mortgage
    Overpay £100
    £0/£100
  • Silence101
    Options
    Yesterday I packed half the books and now I need to look for more boxes. Mr S managed to put 1/4 of the living room flooring down. If he continues at that rate he should be done by Friday.
    I've spent the morning trying to tidy and clean the old house, it's getting really messy and difficult to keep on top of it all. I can't wait to move now, both houses are getting messier, because of all the boxes and lack of storage. I think we're hiring a van for this weekend, so I need to empty all the furniture asap.

October goals

Dry October
    2/31
    No Fizzy Drinks
    2/31
    Tilly tidies
    £6.39
  • Silence101
    Options
    Big sigh of relief, eldest child has a place in the local school. We find out this week what day she starts.
    I've packed a bit more, but I need to go food shopping for tonight. We're thinking of doing daily shops as we've been wasting quite a bit of food recently.

Another change of plan, it looks like we'll be doing the big move next weekend (we'll be running out of weekends soon!) so we might be able to sort out the hallway flooring this weekend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure