New home - but no gas bill?

Options
13»

Comments

• peddles
    Options
    maxcy wrote: »
    Really?

And you say Eon told you that? In clear breach of the most basic of GDPR principles?

I'm smelling something, and it's not the sweet smell of roses.;)

Thank MSE for their ignore list. I didn't know they even had one until you posted, but it's all quite simple to use. Good-bye.

Huh? Ok...curious what you're "smelling" though?
  • peddles
    peddles Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2019 at 11:52AM
    Options
    maxcy wrote: »
    Really?

So you've contacted Eon and they have seen that your electricity account is in your name, yet the gas account for your address is in a different name entirely

And you say Eon told you that? The name of who the gas account is in?
    In clear breach of the most basic of GDPR principles?

I have the transcript if you want proof lol....what's the problem here? That they shouldn't have told me the name of the account holder? Why would you "ignore" ME because THEY broke GDPR? It doesn't make sense
  • peddles
    Options
    Talldave wrote: »
    It's always worth taking a quick photo of the meters on important dates such as move in, move out, and change of supplier. They can help push back against the industry's "unanswerable to anyone" body that takes it upon itself to change such readings if it feels like it.

I usually do, but as it was a new build and the readings were basically nil, I didn't bother!
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    peddles wrote: »
    I have the transcript if you want proof lol....what's the problem here? That they shouldn't have told me the name of the account holder? Why would you "ignore" ME because THEY broke GDPR? It doesn't make sense

Some newbies to the forum, like yourself, come seeking advice and welcome all input. Other newbies appear to join with a wealth of forum knowledge disproportionate to their length of membership and proceed to get a kick out of highlighting their superiority over others. Ignore it, you'll rapidly spot the accounts exhibiting the same behaviour.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

I usually do, but as it was a new build and the readings were basically nil, I didn't bother!

The meters may have been 'basically nil' when installed, but of course the builders would be using energy for their gadgets.

Did you get readings when you got the keys, or rely on the builders having taken readings?
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Options
    Hi all,

I moved into my new build home around 6 months ago. I've received electricity bills since moving in, but no gas. I can't even see it on my eon account online, which is who I should be supplied by. (and yes - I definitely have a gas supply to the house ;) )
    I've spoken to my neighbour, who moved in at a similar date, and they've got the same thing!

I know I could chase this up with the site managers, or the supplier to get this sorted....but what if I don't? Let's say one day it catches up to me. Would I have to pay a bill of 6 months/1 year/2 years/10 years + worth of gas? Or can they not do that?

Has this happened to any of you before?

Cheers!
    Peddles
    When I moved in the site manager told me it would be all set up with eon. We checked the meters and everything. I received my electricity bill as expected. I just assumed the gas one was maybe coming later.
    I contacted eon. It is under their name still.
    Getting it sorted now

Hello peddles and hope you've settled in to your new home.

With new builds, the builder/developer or their agents let us know details of what meters are at each property. They also tell us when responsibility for the energy passes from them to the new occupier/owner and give us readings for that day. It sounds like they gave us details of the electricity and not the gas.

It's good you're talking to us. It'll help if you let us have the Royal Mail postal address, the meter serial number (from the meter itself), plot number if applicable, contact details, the handover date, readings for this day if you have them and up to date readings. Photos would be good if possible.

We'll use this information to set up an account. Check the meter serial number on your meter matches the one we bill to. Do this for the electricity as well as the gas. We sometimes find the information given us by the builder/developer isn't always right and meters become mixed up between different properties. I'm not saying this has happened here, it's just something to be aware of.

Let me know if you need any more information peddles as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure