Options
124»

Comments

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stretlow wrote: »
    I've just spoken to three and they're saying that the 12 months are included in the increase

"Your Minimum Commitment: You agree to stay with us for the Minimum Term. The minimum price for Three Services provided under this agreement is the Monthly Charge for the Minimum Term. Each May, your Monthly Charge will increase by an amount up to the January RPI rate (published each February), unless you're on a SIM plan, in which case your Monthly Charge will remain the same."

When you say 12 month, do you include sim only in that, because according to the terms they are excluded.
  • nsl101
    nsl101 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    this has been an interesting read, I have 4 devices with Vodafone, been a customer of theirs for years, but seriously considering buying out of my contracts with them now, as there all up in November this year. The text about the 4% increase is just pushing me to think about doing it sooner.

I was too distracted by the offers of new phones and nice upgrade deals but TBH i just don't need the expense, my kids can get a new phone with warranty from envirofone at a much cheaper cost and so can I for that matter. None of the new handsets appeal to me anyway....

I will give em a call tonight and get a price to break contract, the sooner i consider biting the bullet the better I think.
    Fresh start & LBM #2: 21/12/2017 : DFD: 02.02.2024
    Debt at 21/12/2017: £46,506.94
    Status at 12/05/2019: £29,623.32 | FD Loan: £6,076.68/£35,700.00 | O% finance: £3191.80/£3191.80
  • fransmith
    Options
    So I’ve had a text from Vodafone informing me that my tariff cost with increase by 3.6% from my next bill.
    I have looked up on Which trading standards and only if the increase is within the RPI can they still keep me locked into the tariff I am on.
    If the increase is above the current RPI then I am within my rights to cancel the contract with no penalty.
    I have checked the RPI online with National statistics. It was published in March as 2.5%. Vodafone are over that with their increase. As far as I can see there is no reason for me not to be able to cancel without penalty.
    However when I called Vodafone today they seem to think otherwise.
    I have checked and double checked my information and will be calling them again tomorrow. Watch this space!
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    fransmith wrote: »
    So I’ve had a text from Vodafone informing me that my tariff cost with increase by 3.6% from my next bill.
    I have looked up on Which trading standards and only if the increase is within the RPI can they still keep me locked into the tariff I am on.
    If the increase is above the current RPI then I am within my rights to cancel the contract with no penalty.
    I have checked the RPI online with National statistics. It was published in March as 2.5%. Vodafone are over that with their increase. As far as I can see there is no reason for me not to be able to cancel without penalty.
    I have checked and double checked my information and will be calling them again tomorrow. Watch this space!

Where have you seen RPI as 2.5% for March?

The ONS site states February's (which was published in March) RPI is 3.6%. The CPIH is 2.5%, but that's a different measure.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fransmith wrote: »
    So I!!!8217;ve had a text from Vodafone informing me that my tariff cost with increase by 3.6% from my next bill.

I don't know where you're getting your figures from, but the RPI in March was 3.6%...

4.0% if they use February figures....
    U.K. Retail Price Index

Release Date Time Actual

Mar 20, 2018 (Feb) 10:30 3.6%
    Feb 13, 2018 (Jan) 10:30 4.0%
    https://uk.investing.com/economic-calendar/rpi-267

PS

The CPIH rate on the ONS site is not the same as RPI.
    ====
  • d123
    Options
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't understand why people are upset by this. OFCOM clarified some years ago that a price increase mid term on a fixed term contract was a breach of contract and a valid reason to cancel without penalty. The main providers changed their contract structure so that an RPI increase was built into the contract. These RPI increases are something that those affected agreed to when they took out the plan or upgraded. Its in the T&C's. Plain and simple.

Now if you want to get upset by something... Most plans now are structured so that the contract price is high but then loads of discounts are applied to get the price down. The RPI increase can be applied to the full price of the plan and not the price paid. I.E. You have a £40 plan with a £20 discount so the price you pay is £20 per month. RPI is added at 4% to the £40 so the new price is £41.60 minus a £20 discount you pay £21.60. An 8% increase in what you pay. Whether this is legal or not is an interesting question.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • d123
    Options
    Xbigman wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are upset by this. OFCOM clarified some years ago that a price increase mid term on a fixed term contract was a breach of contract and a valid reason to cancel without penalty. The main providers changed their contract structure so that an RPI increase was built into the contract. These RPI increases are something that those affected agreed to when they took out the plan or upgraded. Its in the T&C's. Plain and simple.

Darren

In this case I think @fransmith just didn't know where to find the RPI figures and presumably thought the headline CPIH figure (2.5%) on the ONS homepage was somehow the same as RPI.
    ====
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Which is precisely why the governmant at the time decided to fool people by appointing the CPI as their headline measure in place of RPI - to make inflation appear lower.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Which is precisely why the governmant at the time decided to fool people by appointing the CPI as their headline measure in place of RPI - to make inflation appear lower.

Governments and politicians eh, eternal examples of how to use statistics to prove just about anything you like!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure