Hope is not an Effective Financial Strategy

Options

Comments

• michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well the interest saved on that mortgage should be able to knock at least one year off! My retirement age is 68, but OH's pension can be cashed out at 61 and I'll be damned if I'm going to work for seven years while he sits at home. So the aim is to have it all sorted so we can both knock work on the head at that point.
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Busy_Mee1 wrote: »
    I totally agree that working until age 68 is a horrible thought ( that is my SRP age too ) If I work until 68, I will have worked for 51 years :eek:
    I think the point is we want to be in good health to enjoy the best years of retirement. I know i'll be a wreck if i'm still working at 68!
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Ug, those retirement ages are horrendous :( Rooting for you, Jimmy and BusyMee and all.
    I could live happily being a part time prescription delivery driver for 5yrs once i hit 60! Not looking too far ahead but in 6 years time i may need a new diary called retirement planning, but which board would it live in?????
    michelle09 wrote: »
    Well the interest saved on that mortgage should be able to knock at least one year off! My retirement age is 68, but OH's pension can be cashed out at 61 and I'll be damned if I'm going to work for seven years while he sits at home. So the aim is to have it all sorted so we can both knock work on the head at that point.
    I can hear the same disagreement that happens in our house:
    "Your not retiring before me"
    "Well I'm not working longer than you, so if you finish at 60 so am I"
    "But your 3yrs younger than me so technically you should work 3 years more..."
    " Well you can (Insert appropriate expletive), if you think your sitting at home whilst I'm at work"
    "I wont be sat at home, I'll be golfing..."
    "(insert insulting name calling)"

The thing is i know that i can't win!!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • shangaijimmy
    Options
    Well the weather behaved so the patio is grouted. So i have done the major part of preparing the garden for the summer, following on from powerwashing and then hoovering the artificial lawn.. Mrs SJ will now do her bit with the plant pots. I can sit and enjoy!

Now i have the right to enjoy the golf on the big TV, so i'll have a brew, take the dog out and get settled in for the final couple of hours.

The next jobs on the outside job list are painting the fence (I hate that job more than any other), and then cleaning the gutters, facias and conservatory. I am determined to have these done in April... You heard it here first!!

We're heading to the caravan tomorrow after work for the final week of the school holidays. Planning on drinking beer, eating rubbish and generally lazing around. Hopefully the weather behaves enough so that the kids can pretty much play out from morning till it goes dark (they can come back for a sandwich at lunch).

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a great time at the caravan! Hope the tv there is big enough :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,304 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Enjoy your time away :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Have a great time at the caravan .....fingers crossed for good weather
  • shangaijimmy
    Options
    Caravan will be fab, can't guarantee how the weather will be but it won't deter us!

Got the week up and running with an 18p TT. Now have a bit of running round to do and loading the car before heading off to work. 11hr day for me but i don't care as i'll be heading off on hols straight from work!!

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have a great holiday jimmy .We were away all last week for Easter in ours we had a brilliant week and weather and i know you will too
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I could live happily being a part time prescription delivery driver for 5yrs once i hit 60! Not looking too far ahead but in 6 years time i may need a new diary called retirement planning, but which board would it live in?????

It would be here, Jimmy, don't be so silly - you never graduate the MFW boards.... once here, you're here to stay, even without a mortgage! *insert evil laugh*
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    It would be here, Jimmy, don't be so silly - you never graduate the MFW boards.... once here, you're here to stay, even without a mortgage! *insert evil laugh*
    And I'm living proof of that :rotfl:

At one stage, there was talk of a Financial Independence board, but it wasn't quite the thing, and it died out. So here we are, and here I am :D

Have a great hol - setting off straight from work is *so* satisfying!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure