Breaking Through, Travelling On

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You sound a lot more chipper today, KC. A good night's sleep has obviously restored your joie de vivre:j. Sorry to hear you are in pain though, I hope a less physical day remedies that for you:beer:
    Thanks! It's not pretty :o:D
    I had a day from hell yesterday, well, not a whole day but about 6 hours which was long enough. Not going to bore you all with it except to say it was car-related (again!!!:mad:). Worked out OK in the end though, cost me nothing financially and has restored my faith in the great kindness of total strangers:j. Couldn't sleep though after such an ordeal (unusual for me, my Dad used to say I could sleep on a washing line:rotfl:) and have woken up headachey, tired and grumpy. I really feel for those who suffer from insomnia, it must be hell. One poor night has done for me:o
    Ow, that sounds baaaaaad :( though I'm glad it worked out in the end. I remember that saying too - and I saw a note somewhere once upon a time that it originates from navvies passing out drunk at the pub, and instead of leaving them where they fell, they were tossed over a rope and left there to sleep it off, doubled up over the thing :rotfl:
    Just noticed your sig, KC. Only a year to go!
    Thanks Squirrel! Isn't it exciting :j:j:j This is the beginning of week 56 in the countdown, and there's 6 weeks holiday in there, so I only have 50 weeks more work :eek::cool::rotfl:

Eager, moi?

2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 4 August 2015 at 3:26PM
    Options
    It must be so exciting to be so close to your retirement (the first day of the rest of your life:beer:)

Thanks for the explanation of the washing line saying. Alcohol doesn't contribute to my ability to do it;), I've always been able to sleep anywhere I lay my head. Has been a real blessing for my whole life:j.My Dad had an Irish friend who used to say it, I expect that's where he got if from. I heard Terry Wogan say it on his old breakfast radio show a couple of times too. Maybe it originated from Irish navvies. Not being racist or whatever, I adore Ireland and the Irish:j
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lots of Irish in my family and an often used phrase. DH literally sleeps through take off in a plane.
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,984 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I too have concluded the kindle disturbs my sleep.
    I check this on a regular basis - or maybe I just don't want to believe it :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Karmacat
    Options
    CBC, no racism involved, as far as I was concerned it was Irish pubs in Liverpool - I've got 3 different strands of Irish in my background, and one lot are navvies, absolutely :j Al is also proof of that :D

Watty, I don't want to believe it either, about kindles :p but I've found something even worse :eek: for me, anyway - cow's milk in the evening, sob ... I've been having a ball with Bird's Eye custard recently ;) but it triggers what I've thought of as my cheese allergy - thats why my head has been falling off my neck, not the kindle! I finally recognised the symptoms :( still, I'm glad to know, because its a bit much, quite frankly.

This is my busy day, and I'm still partly comatose :eek::cool:, so any kind of sensibleness is strictly reserved for work. Expect hallucinatory levels of tiredness :rotfl: and honestly, no LSD is involved :rotfl: just strong tea
    :coffee:
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Hi Karmacat, great to read that you are so close to retirement. That time is going to fly - if I were Gally I'd have a suitable smilie to put in there :)

Sorry to read that you've been in pain but hopefully it will reduce/cease if milk is the cause.

@Watty, we have two cats as well as hounds and one of the hound variety has a bit of a thing for one of the cats. We aren't quite sure whether he wants to love her or see her off :eek:

Best wishes Tilly x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Hi Tilly! Yep, retirement is really quite close! I'll keep on with the blogs - I like them :)

I'm pretty much clear of the horrible milk symptoms now, tho really tired, work has been done, and done well, I think. Phone to my mum, off to France tomorrow with my sister, and I'll be watching a comedy video and then off to bed really early. I may even bring the kettle upstairs so I don't have to faff about downstairs in the middle of the night :D

I've been out picking blackberries! There are some bushes that still only have flowers on, but quite a few with ripe berries - astonishing!

Hope everyone has a good evening :beer:
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Glad you are feeling better now.

I'll be checking out the local blackberries tomorrow. They are in a shady spot, so I doubt if there'll be many ready for picking, but I'll have a look

Have a good time in France
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 5 August 2015 at 10:00PM
    Options
    Blackberries, lovely:j. Have frozen most of our early ones ready for winter. Not all that many have ripened since and very few to be foraged locally:(.

The rowans are laden with berries already and I really must make an effort and find recipes using them. The birds have a wonderful feast with them every summer/autumn but it's high time we had a share too. Free food.....I'm all for it:j. Sadly, the birds made short work of our few cherries, we never got to eat a single one ourselves:eek:

I was very disappointed to discover today that the local pick-your-own strawberries will be finished by the weekend:eek:. They've been wonderful this year, we've been having them nearly every evening for dessert for weeks now. They have a strain of later ones nearly ready but from past experience they don't taste as good as the main crop. We're not pudding fans but love to end our evening meal with something fruit-based. Strawberries are just so easy;). Lots of apples on our apple trees nearly ready so stewed apple and its various variants looks like being on the menu from now on.

All this talk of food has made me hungry:rotfl:. Better not succumb, I was planning an early night as feeling very tired despite not having done much at all today that used a lot of energy:(. Just getting old I suppose.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    CBC, hope you slept well - I can see your light on again, here's hoping. Shame about the strawbs - and yes, I'm doing what you do, freezing everything till there's a decent crop to process. I've noticed how good the rowan crop is this year, and I have two lovely trees on my rec ground, but they're very near a *lot* of traffic, so I'm not using those. But in the little wild spot by our cricket ground, I found another lovely rowan, maybe 100 yards away from any roads, so I'm going to take a few sprigs from there.

Goldie - I phrased that badly, sorry - my mum and my sister are going, not me - its not my idea of a holiday to go to a cottage in the middle of the French countryside, arriving at midnight, when its only occupied for a few weeks a year :eek:

No paid work today, so I'm focussing on the blogs - a bit of mopping up in the garden to get stuff into the bin, maybe its even time to lay some mulch :j:j:j I love mulch :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport