Money Moral Dilemma: = Is it fair for me to scream every time I see yet another fake problem

Options
Can we just stop with these rubbish fake dilemmas that are flooding this board?
The opposite of what you know...is also true

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 September 2018 at 8:33AM
    Options
    Do you live in a flat? How loud will the scream be and at what time of the day?
    If you scream into a pillow that could help relieve your stress without disturbing people so I'd say it's ok ....
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    ska_lover wrote: »
    Can we just stop with these rubbish fake dilemmas that are flooding this board?
    Actually, some aren't fake.

I would have bet anything that the most recent MMD - the one about using a child's premium bond winnings (the winnings are currently non-existent) to pay off the mortgage) was a made-up one.
    But apparently not.
  • I used to subscribe to a personal finance magazine. On browsing an older copy prior to recycling it, I thought the reader's 'problem' about mortgages looked familiar. On comparing the current edition I found the reader's letter, and reply, was identical to one published over a year ago - even to the extent that numbers quoted in the answer were identical, despite the fact interest rates had changed in the meantime.

I contacted the editor to ask if all the problems were made up (as I'd naively actually submitted a query of my own, obviously never published) but needless to say I got no response. I cancelled my subscription not long after that.

Not related to finance matters, but the most memorable reader's problem I ever saw published online in a national newspaper's website, was one from a gentleman who said he was bisexual. On meeting his new girlfriend's father he realised he'd had a liaison with the father in the past. Now his dilemma was, should he tell the girl of his dreams that he knew her father in the biblical sense. To say there was some scepticism that this was a 'real' problem is putting it mildly.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    I don't scream, my usual reaction is more like 'oh !!!!!! not another one'
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options

Not related to finance matters, but the most memorable reader's problem I ever saw published online in a national newspaper's website, was one from a gentleman who said he was bisexual. On meeting his new girlfriend's father he realised he'd had a liaison with the father in the past. Now his dilemma was, should he tell the girl of his dreams that he knew her father in the biblical sense. To say there was some scepticism that this was a 'real' problem is putting it mildly.

I think they lifted that from a film or TV programme, I'm sure I've seen that twist in something.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »

I would have bet anything that the most recent MMD - the one about using a child's premium bond winnings (the winnings are currently non-existent) to pay off the mortgage) was a made-up one.
    But apparently not.

It does indeed beggars belief that some of these are real.

However, real does not mean that they are above making fun of when they are ridiculous...
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I really loathe the mse originated ones and have complained often. I was assured that people send them in and because they're too busy to respond they post them for us to comment.

Even that response sounds fake to me. Why would someone pose a question to the mse team? Why not start a genuine thread of their own?

It's bad enough when a genuine poster starts a thread and then doesn't return but to just pose a silly question and disappear is pathetic and rather patronising IMO. You'd have thought the mse team would have better things to do with their time.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I really loathe the mse originated ones and have complained often. I was assured that people send them in and because they're too busy to respond they post them for us to comment.

Even that response sounds fake to me. Why would someone pose a question to the mse team? Why not start a genuine thread of their own?

It's bad enough when a genuine poster starts a thread and then doesn't return but to just pose a silly question and disappear is pathetic and rather patronising IMO. You'd have thought the mse team would have better things to do with their time.

What you will see though is there is a hoard of people who only come to the forum when the link is posted to the ‘dilemma’ in the newsletter. I imagine those people submit them and wait patiently for their money dilemma to be solved...
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »

But apparently not.

I remember this MMD appearing on here as a real thread once, so while it might be slightly adapted the underlying dilemma is entirely real. Unless of course the original poster was a troll, which is possible given the subject matter.

I also remember a similar one where two young siblings both had premium bonds and one of them won a sizeable amount of money, the question was should it be split.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Having once sent in a MMD that was featured, there were still sceptics doubting its authenticity.

I don't really understand why people start screaming when MSE post a possibly fictitious MMD, but happily accept the nonsense that random users post without complaining. If you don't like it, then just move on.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure