Should the housing association have removed these tiles?

Options
I moved into my housing association house 8 years ago. When I moved in there was some vinyl tiles on the kitchen floor, i was never told anything about them at all. I decided to just leave them and cover them with my own ceramic tiles. Then when I moved in I asked the housing association if there were any asbestos tiles in the house, ( I was concerned as it’s a 1930s house) and they sent me a ‘cloned sample survey took from homes of the same house in the same around’
It said ‘sink pad level 2 pressumed’ ( this one doesn’t concern me coz it’s under cupboard on sink
And ‘floor tiles 50m level 2 presumed’
So then that’s when I realised it’s a good job I didn’t remove them. But they didn’t inform me of them containing asbestos UNTIL I ENQUIRED ABOUT ASBESTOS IN THE HOME. Which I think is so wrong as I could have removed them putting us in danger. Anyway I pulled back my carpet grip from the door way between living room and kitchen and there were loose bits of tile underneath that have give way, now I’m worried the damage this has done to my health coupled with the fact my toddler could have got some of this in his mouth without me realising. Also by the back door my tile cracked which also made the asbestos tile crack and break and over time I’ve just swept them up as I didn’t fully realise the extent. Should the housing association have removed these before I moved in? They had chance to whilst the property was empty and even if they couldn’t remove Should they have properly informed me of this? And does the ‘presumed’ bit mean ‘maybe contain’ so they actually don’t know for sure ?

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Helena2006 wrote: »
    I moved into my housing association house 8 years ago. When I moved in there was some vinyl tiles on the kitchen floor, i was never told anything about them at all. I decided to just leave them and cover them with my own ceramic tiles. Then when I moved in I asked the housing association if there were any asbestos tiles in the house, ( I was concerned as it’s a 1930s house) and they sent me a ‘cloned sample survey took from homes of the same house in the same around’
    It said ‘sink pad level 2 pressumed’ ( this one doesn’t concern me coz it’s under cupboard on sink
    And ‘floor tiles 50m level 2 presumed’
    So then that’s when I realised it’s a good job I didn’t remove them. But they didn’t inform me of them containing asbestos UNTIL I ENQUIRED ABOUT ASBESTOS IN THE HOME. Which I think is so wrong as I could have removed them putting us in danger. Anyway I pulled back my carpet grip from the door way between living room and kitchen and there were loose bits of tile underneath that have give way, now I’m worried the damage this has done to my health coupled with the fact my toddler could have got some of this in his mouth without me realising. Also by the back door my tile cracked which also made the asbestos tile crack and break and over time I’ve just swept them up as I didn’t fully realise the extent. Should the housing association have removed these before I moved in? They had chance to whilst the property was empty and even if they couldn’t remove Should they have properly informed me of this? And does the ‘presumed’ bit mean ‘maybe contain’ so they actually don’t know for sure ?
    You need some proper advice and the facts before worrying. If the tiles on the floor were vinyl then they probably don't contain asbestos. Did you have permission to remove them even if you had? I very much doubt the loose bits you refer to are asbsestos.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 January 2019 at 11:35PM
    Options
    Welcome to MSE. :)

As a social housing tenant you would usually need to seek written permission of the landlord before DIY/ decorating. Additionally you would usually be expected to report any repairs or maintenance issues to the landlord.

Ask the Housing Association what they mean by "presumed".You might be getting stressed over a simple misunderstanding. We seem to have had a number of newcomers preoccupied by asbestos of late.

When doing landlord permitted DIY/ decorating and dusty cleaning, use basic protective equipment such as disposable filter dust masks, safety glasses or rubber gloves. Not expensive at Wilko etc.

Statistically there are FAR more common household dangers than asbestos, and plenty we all can/ should be doing to safeguard ourselves. Check your smoke alarm/ carbon monoxide detector regularly. Re-read the manuals for household appliances and keep up with the maintenance tasks/ service washes/ empty or replace filters/ check fridge and freezer temperature for example.

Maybe get a babygate for your son. Do not smoke nor allow smoking in your home. Avoid sunburn ........
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No is the answer. There is no legal requirement for asbestos to be removed from any domestic property if safe and undisturbed. Nor are they obliged to provide information routinely.

As above most tenancies require permission for alterations. This includes ceramic tiles. Your HA provided you with a report upon request so you knew that they were presumed to be absestos. They did well here. Many dont have reports to provide. Therefore you treat as if it is but it is untested.

Most asbestos reports will presume tiles and artex which are untested but similar to those that are in appearance as presumed asbestos. This means you act with caution as would the HA if they were needing to work on them.

Unless you have reported cracked tiles and requested they are removed (the broken ones) your LL would never know and it is highly possible they have cracked during your tenancy from walking on them.

The risk is minimal and thats if they even are asbestos.

If you ask for the broken tiles to be removed its unlikely they would refuse.

However there is no need for them to remove all tiles as this would be an unnecessary expense when they arent a threat.

Many ex council houses contain asbestos as do offices, warehouses, police stations, schools, shops etc
  • Helena2006
    Options
    Thanks everyone. When I moved in they didn’t say I couldn’t put down my own flooring in the kitchen nor did they tell me NOT to remove the current flooring. They didn’t say anything. I just left it there. I know if it’s in good condition it’s said to be safe but when I pulled up the metal thing that separates the two rooms between kitchen and living room ( sorry forgot what they are called) I saw underneath bits of broken tile and edges look a bit frayed. I’ve given the housing association a call and they are going to send someone out to look at them. I wish they didn’t contain asbestos but I’m guessing they will.

The sample report they sent me said it was a sample from similiar properties so it’s not actually from the property I live in but from similar ones in my area I think.
  • Helena2006
    Options
    “ I have attached the records we have regards asbestos within your home. These are cloned from sample properties of the same type of home in the same area“

That’s what the report says
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Options
    how much are you after?
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2019 at 3:10AM
    Options
    Helena2006 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. When I moved in they didn’t say I couldn’t put down my own flooring in the kitchen nor did they tell me NOT to remove the current flooring. They didn’t say anything. I just left it there

This is your home, but it is your landlord's property. None of us have the right to alter someone else's property without their consent. I own my flat (long lease), but still have to get written permission from the freeholder (a type of landlord) for certain changes. This is because these changes may affect other flats, or increase the risk of damage to the structure over time.

Often social tenants can make certain easily reversible additions or alterations to a landlord's property without their consent (eg. fit a carpet over bare floorboards, click-together laminate flooring). But require express consent for additions or alterations that damage the property, or that cannot easily be reversed (eg. gluing down vinyl sheet flooring) and/ or that the structure or existing fixtures and fittings may not be able to handle (eg. laying ceramic tiles).

At the end of a tenancy, all tenants are expected to return the property to the landlord in the same condition as it was at the start, minus any fair wear and tear. 'Fair' means that, however careful you are, the 'wear and tear' cannot be avoided. Obviously there is more fair wear and tear in eight years than eight months! :p So carpets might fairly be worn thinner near doorways, but not stained, dirty or scratched/ chewed by pets.

Do re-read all the paperwork you were given or signed when you took on the tenancy. This should include rights and responsibilities of both parties as far as repairs, maintenance, DIY, reporting problems, seeking permission and so on.

HTH. :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Helena2006
    Options
    What do you mean by this?
  • Helena2006
    Options
    Bazza52 what do you mean by this?
  • Helena2006
    Options
    What about sanding floors and varnishing? Would they be against rules as an alternative To laminate
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure