Making fairy dust of the mortgage

Options
Accountant_Kerry
Accountant_Kerry Posts: 628 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 8 January 2019 at 5:54PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Hi All.
So 2019 is the year I can really start sorting the mortgage hence I've decided to start a diary for all the usual reasons.
A bit about me, I am a single mum to a 8yr old DD, separated but looking to divorce this year as can get a no fault divorce from later on in the year and didn't fancy any mud-slinging that would have occurred previously.
With some careful planning I am hoping to clear the 90k mortgage in the next 10 years, lets see! Wish me luck! :-)
Mar 24 - Mortgage Balance £249,794.45
Credit Card - £8,182.23 + £4,731.65
Goals: Mortgage Free by 2035, Give up full time work once Mortgage Free, Ensure I have a pension income of £20k per year from 2035

Comments

• A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :wave: Welcome and wish you luck with your new diary.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • Accountant_Kerry
    Options
    Oh and as you can see I’ve an awful habit of never reading back what I’ve written and it being full of typos etc! I promise I will try harder on this! ��
    Goals: Mortgage Free by 2035, Give up full time work once Mortgage Free, Ensure I have a pension income of £20k per year from 2035

• Accountant_Kerry
    Options
    So a bit more about my circumstances, I had a flood in my flat from the flat above back in July, since September I’ve been living in a rental property paid for by the insurance, finally the property is dry and the insurance have paid me the money to get it back to normal, the aim is now do this as quickly and cheaply as possible and through any extra money at the mortgage. I need all new flooring, 2 rooms completely decorated and a new kitchen in by mid Feb! It’s going to be a lot of work

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Accountant_Kerry
    Options
    Welcome all,

So today I’ve received £150 compensation from the insurance people for being utterly useless!

Straight into the pot which is good.

Tomorrow I’ve the over cleaner chap coming over which will be £60 and the plumber to do the kitchen adjustments, IF that works out less than £180 for the plumber the remainder will go in the pot.

Plus picking my DD up from her dad tomorrow, not seen since Monday so really looking forward to it ❤️

• Hazelnutty
    Options
    Welcome! I'm in a similar position to you (9yo DD) also separated. I am very much hoping XH will wait for the 2 years (this summer) as the alternative is just sh!tty for both sides. There was some talk of a change in the law, which is badly needed, but I don't suppose it'll arrive in time as parliament are kinda busy right now... Anyway, hope your flat comes together soon.
    Choose kind:)
  • Accountant_Kerry
    Options
    Thanks Hazel, totally agree the law change is really necessary, you have to put down something otherwise that just causes even more upset and it’s the children that always suffer in these things.

I just want it all done and whilst I don’t think my STB ex will cause any issues you can’t be certain until it’s done.

Thanks for replying it’s nice to know it’s not just me x

• Accountant_Kerry
    Accountant_Kerry Posts: 628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 January 2019 at 7:54PM
    Options
    So the plumber has yet to tell me how much I owe him but as he had to replace an unexpected parts o suspect it will be over budget.

Started painting today, spent £135 on Dulex Trade paint but from experience most other paints are false economy and decorating time is the thing I’m most short of so hopefully it will work out ok.

Elextrician is coming Monday and then kitchen fitter Tuesday! Woohoo progress.

Took £40 of stuff back to B&Q and spent £20 on other stuff, the balance is going in the pot.

I’ve worked out targets for this year.

£6000 mortgage overpayment
    £3000 credit card
    £3000 savings

• Accountant_Kerry
    Options
    Progress so far
    0/6000 - Mortgage
    150/3000 - Credit Card
    0/3000 - Savings

• Accountant_Kerry
    Options
    Well its been a quiet couple of days so didn't spend much, treated myself to a Tesco finest pizza yesterday but as the alternative was a takeaway felt quite virtuous about it! :-)

Back to work today, well working from home so it wont cost me anything, I am lucky that all my work travel is paid for but as I am out and about so much taking lunch with me is a pain as I have to carry it everywhere as well as my laptop etc so usually don't bother and end up spending too much really.

Still no bill from the plumber and have the electrician in today which I am expecting to be about £500 as there's a lot to do.

Can't wait to get back into my flat, I've put 9th March on the calendar as my intended moving back date so at least have a solid target.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback