How much water do YOU use?

I took the plunge last week and had a water meter installed. When I contacted Yorkshire water it appeared that I was going to be a borderline case on whether I would save anything (Family of 2 adults + 2 teenage sons). Anyway, I know its early days but after 1 full week of usage in which we have made no special efforts to actually save water we have used just less than 3 cubic meters of water. (All of us have showered every day - couple of baths included - dishwasher used every day, 6 or 7 washing machine loads and I've also washed both cars). Anyway this equates to approx 13 cubic meters per month which is actually quite a substantial saving. I have calculated that to break even with my rateable value I would need to use no more than 18 cubic meters per month. So looking at my usage I could be saving about 25% of my water rates which has left me very pleased to say the least.

Does anyone else keep a record of their water usage in cubic meters and if so are these figures above average for a family of 4?:)

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Also with Yorkshire Water. Family of 5 (3 adults and 2 teenagers), washer on every day, 2 cars, no dishwasher.

We use an average of 48 cubic meters per quarter (16/month). Going back to rateable value would cost us considerably more (£220K property in band D).

Only downside I can see to the meter is we have to couple up to a friendly neighbour's outside tap in summer for the lawn sprinklers - not really a close neighbour as 3 x 30m hoses are required and we communicate by telephone ;)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I use approx 180 cu mtrs a year(15 a month) 3 adults. Wife and daughter bath every day. usual washing machine and dishwasher activity.

House had a high RV and reverting to unmetered would cost an extra £700 each year.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Two of us here + dishwasher & washing machine. 2 showers every day. Hardly ever have a bath :eek:

We use 165 cub mtrs a year
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Cardew wrote:
    I use approx 180 cu mtrs a year(15 a month) 3 adults. Wife and daughter bath every day. usual washing machine and dishwasher activity.

House had a high RV and reverting to unmetered would cost an extra £700 each year.

WOW! I was pleased with looking at a saving of about £100 per year:D Mind you I couldn't save £700 or they'd be paying me for the water as my annual water rates were £458!

I posted this to see if approx 160 cubic meters per year was representative for a family this size. From what you've posted above it appears to be.

Thanks for the replies guys and gals:beer:
  • Cardew
    WOW! I was pleased with looking at a saving of about £100 per year:D Mind you I couldn't save £700 or they'd be paying me for the water as my annual water rates were £458!

I posted this to see if approx 160 cubic meters per year was representative for a family this size. From what you've posted above it appears to be.

Thanks for the replies guys and gals:beer:

I changed to metered many years ago. My Rateable Value(house built in 1988) was just under £700 which in my area would mean water charges of over £1,100(at 2005 rates) had I not got a meter.

This year based on consumption of 180 cu meters it will be £392.

Last year the total for the same consumption was £337 - that shows how much charges have risen this year.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    hollie.weimeraner Posts: 2,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Cardew wrote:
    This year based on consumption of 180 cu meters it will be £392.

Last year the total for the same consumption was £337 - that shows how much charges have risen this year.

The problem is that eventually everyone will be on metered water, with the nett effect that water revenues may reduce, so to stop this happening Water Companies will need to increase revenue by raising prices.

It would appear that we can only slow down the rate of increase of our own bills, eventually when all water is metered we will be back at square one with high charges:confused: (Unless I can get the offspring unloaded:j )
  • mrnomoneybags
    mrnomoneybags Posts: 630 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Reading this post (sorry to thread jack) makes me think about my water

Its £21 p/mo with southern water.

Its a Three bed house but there is only 2 of us living there ....... dialy showers and no dish washer.... we wash our cars at the garage(lazy i know)

Is it worth going down the meter route?

thanks

-Tom
  • Cardew
    Reading this post (sorry to thread jack) makes me think about my water

Its £21 p/mo with southern water.

Its a Three bed house but there is only 2 of us living there ....... dialy showers and no dish washer.... we wash our cars at the garage(lazy i know)

Is it worth going down the meter route?

thanks

-Tom

Apart from the amount of water used, it depends on a number of factors.

The main one is the Rateable Value(RV) of your house. (this can be found on your water charges bill)

Semi or detached house?

Surface water draining into sewer or soak-away?

If your consumption is really £252 per year(the direct debit charge does not always equate to actual consumption) I suspect you have a pretty low RV. I would guess that you will not save a great deal therefore by switching to a metered supply.
  • Phonix
    Phonix Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The problem is that eventually everyone will be on metered water, with the nett effect that water revenues may reduce, so to stop this happening Water Companies will need to increase revenue by raising prices.

It would appear that we can only slow down the rate of increase of our own bills, eventually when all water is metered we will be back at square one with high charges (Unless I can get the offspring unloaded )

I disagree with the whole idea of paying for water full stop. Paying for service charges yes that's fine but surely that should come out of taxes?

This is a basic resource and should have never been privatised. The tax that we payed before to build up the infrastrucure before it was privatised is now the property of the corporations.

Consumption isn't an issue either, if you use too much you should simply be cut off.

The reason you're paying so much is because Thatcher was bought out by the corps.
  • Cardew
    Phonix wrote:
    I disagree with the whole idea of paying for water full stop. Paying for service charges yes that's fine but surely that should come out of taxes?

This is a basic resource and should have never been privatised. The tax that we payed before to build up the infrastrucure before it was privatised is now the property of the corporations.

Consumption isn't an issue either, if you use too much you should simply be cut off.

The reason you're paying so much is because Thatcher was bought out by the corps.

Presumably you feel the same about gas and electricity supply, railways, airlines etc?

The Conservative Government sold the nationalised Utility companies to shareholders and the revenue raised went into the Public purse; and these companies pay tax.

The Labour Government had the opportunity to re-nationalise but didn't and won't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure