water bill monthly payments reduced!

hi, just to let you know my water bill has been doubled by york s h i t e water... from £12 pm to £22 pm on DD.

so i phoned them up and said i cant pay that amount, so they blabbed on a bit about meter readings blah blah blah... its estimated.

so i said no way could i pay £22 pm and i was offering them £17. if they didnt take it then i shall cancel my DD and TRY and pay the bill when it came in, of course if i couldnt, then they would incur court costs to take me to court and then as im a single parent on benefits (through no fault of my own!) i would offer them 50p a month..

so the amended payments of £17 pm is winging its way to me... or i shall phone em back!

so if your struggling, phone em, and TELL THEM what you can pay.

hth loops
THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN... :A

Comments

• gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Goodness how I envy you paying so listtle! here in Devon (South West Water a POX on them grrh) upped, or wanted to increase my direct debit to a staggering £35 a MONTH!!!!! I live alone in a two bedroomed bungalow, and most certainly do not waste water, I have to confess if having a daily shower and a bath maybe once a week is waste........then I plead guilty. It is really disgracefull the charges we pay to keep the beaches clean so that the rest of the country that choose to holiday here can enjoy it.

I refused to pay that amount, as a pensioner I cannot afford it, and chose to pay quarterly, I have to say I am DREADING the next bill. I think it is time some kind of regional protest was made, as everyone is complaining.
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Hi

Here in south Essex (the driest part of the UK, we're already being threatened with hosepipe bans this summer!!) we pay separately for metered water usage and for sewerage.

I pay £11 a month for one and £11.92 for t'other, and I always forget which is which. That's nearly £23 a month.

We also got a rebate because the rain-water off the roof goes into a soakaway and not into the public drains. I'd be paying £4 a month more but for that rebate.

2 of us (2 retirees) have daily shower, washing-machine twice a week. We don't use excessively!!

Aunty Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • loopy_lass
    loopy_lass Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    ooo i dont feel so bad now.. sorry for moaning about such a small payment... it was the reduction i wanted to get across really, if you cant pay... offer them less... they usually go for it as its better than 50p a month if it goes to court.

I am a single parent (thro no fault of my own i may add!) in a 2 up 2 down abode, we shower. and i have the washer on twice a day... i am tight with water etc... but then again, i take the dog to the river in summer to bath her, i wash the car up the woods from river water (i do take a bucket and spone & NO soap)

so i guess you could call me tight lol..

loops
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN... :A
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    gatita wrote:
    Goodness how I envy you paying so listtle! here in Devon (South West Water a POX on them grrh) upped, or wanted to increase my direct debit to a staggering £35 a MONTH!!!!! I live alone in a two bedroomed bungalow, and most certainly do not waste water, I have to confess if having a daily shower and a bath maybe once a week is waste........then I plead guilty. It is really disgracefull the charges we pay to keep the beaches clean so that the rest of the country that choose to holiday here can enjoy it

id be very happy with £35, south west water charge us £47 and my mother £71. because they are a monopoly and you have no option but to stay with them they are quite happy to put the bills up by 16% this year knowing very well that you are stuck with it.
    i agree about the tourist, they should be charged and extra £10 a week to stay here to go towards cleaning all their rubish off the beaches.
    or better still stop them coming down at all in july and august so the locals can enjoy the summer for a change
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    we had exactly the opposite, our yearly DD statement came through and they wanted to reduce monthly water payment(excl sewerage as that is different company) to only £8, we've always paid >£10 and last year we upped it to £15 as we'd built up a deficit only paying £10, we're back on track now but could not see logic in only paying £8 and running up a bill. Rang and changed to £12.50 to see how it goes, stupid of the company really, same with gas and elec that I seem to be able to work out a DD better than them and their payment system with all the figures to hand,
  • dougk_2
    dougk_2 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Thats the only trouble with reducing the monthly amount - you will get further and further behind and you will have to pay the balance at some point!

Gatita - are you on a water meter - if not contact your water comapny and get one fitted - it sounds like you would save a fortune . When I lived on my own (3 bed bungalow) I transferred to a water meter and my bill fell to about 1/3rd. If you are on a water meter I suggest you may have a leak or a problem as you shouldn't be using that much.
  • gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Dougk Yes I am on a water meter! the Lord only knows what it woule be otherwise. The neighbours before getting a meter, paid £780!!!!!!! and elderly couple 2 bed bungalow.......... mush the same as me. They are now paying about £40 a month. I don't think the rest of the country knows just how much our water bills are in the Southwest, in my view it is scandalous and something needs to be done about it very soon.
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • dougk_2
    dougk_2 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Gatita,

I checked and the price you pay for a cubic meter of water is compariable with say Anglian water. Also compared to anglian Water the standing charge is similar....however the waste charges are the big difference. SW charges £10 standing charge but £2.25 m3 and AW charges £62 standing charge and £1.15 m3 . Its the waste charges that are the rip off, especially as you don't have a meter on your waste pipe!

Maybe this is where it pays not to be on mains drainage but on a septic tank!
  • robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    gatita wrote:
    It is really disgracefull the charges we pay to keep the beaches clean so that the rest of the country that choose to holiday here can enjoy it.

I think you will find that Holiday tourists pay more than enough to keep the beaches clean.

£4 for fish and chips !!!!!!
    £1.20 for tins of coke !!!!!!
    £3 to park on the beach !!!!1 even for 1/2 hr.

The list is endless, where seaside towns fleece incoming tourists.

I think you will find, that you pay to live in a seaside town with all the benefits that go with it, for 12 months of the year. If you want to pay less, then move to a crowded city with 10 people to each sq ft.
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • How much do you use on average?From my recent bills, we use arond 12 m3 per month. Are we being wasteful? Me, OH and 15 month-old. And I concur with the monopoly angle. Set up direct debit recently; seemed a little high, but was informed that charges have gone up approx 20% from last year!!!!!!! Thames water.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure