Pigeons nesting under my panels

Options

Comments

• mickyduck
    mickyduck Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    Mine have retrurned but do not seem to be nesting as they are not on my roof in the evening and I cannot see any nest. Whenever I do see them I just clap my hands and they fly off in a big circle and come in to land again... If I wait until the are returning and clap again they seem to get the message and go elsewhere.
    3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch + Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have air rifle. now.

Been adjusting the sights in the garden, pleased with my accuracy at 20+ yds.

Pigeons appeared to have !!!!!!ed orrff without me firing a shot in anger at them?!!
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • Westender69
    Westender69 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    edited 4 May 2017 at 1:42PM
    Options
    Is this problem more common than it would appear? We only recently had our solar PV system installed and within a few weeks pigeons were nesting under the panels. I arranged for some galvanized meshing to be installed yesterday to fix the problem. The company who did the install said they were doing a couple of jobs most days so it doesn't seem to be an isolated problem.
  • Yut_Man
    Yut_Man Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    I have been reading about this problem for many years. One guy spent a fortune trying to keep the pigeons away. spikes lasted the longest but even these started to fall off after time. Once the birds started laying eggs the squirels then moved in pinching the eggs.I guess you just have to keep at it and hope you have more determination than the birds.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Squirrels are a more serious problem as they can and will gnaw cables (so various pest control companies have told me).

You can get your solar panels bird/squirrel proofed and some companies offer 10 year guarantees against any breach of what they install.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Squirrels are a more serious problem as they can and will gnaw cables (so various pest control companies have told me).

You can get your solar panels bird/squirrel proofed and some companies offer 10 year guarantees against any breach of what they install.

Like many of the firms who offer long guarantees on their product, the chances of them being in business in a couple of years time are slim; as are your chances of getting are remedial work.

Even if the same people are still in business, they will probably have wound up the old firm and started another business with a similar name, the same premises and personnel, and have no liability for the old firm's defective work.
  • HafezAbdo
    Options
    I leased my roof to A Shade Greener in 2014. They installed their solar panels. Initially they told me that they will only install the panels while I am in. I came from work and found the panels installed. They just install them in an odd way which makes my house looks odd. After their workmen have gone I noticed that they have caused some damages here and there. I had to call ASG to come back and fix the damage - I did not have a good experience with them at all.

Recently, I noticed that pigeons have nested between my roof and ASG panels. I guess this is a general problem that many people suffer from. However, this is a new experience to me but I would believe that ASG knew about such an issue, as they seem to have installed too many panels across the UK.
    I emailed and telephoned ASG to discuss this issue with them. They only came back to me after I told them if they do not reply I will go to court. However, their reply was not satisfactory as they declined liability and responsibility. Rudely, ASG offered to install wire guard around their panels for a charge of £1,500.

My claim is based on the following points:
    1- Their solar panels provided a shelter for birds to nest on my roof;
    2-ASG is the main investor and they should be liable for any damages (and environmental damages) that may result from their investments; and
    3- when installed the solar panles, ASG did not tell me about the possibility of birds and other animals living between roofs and solar panels, and never offered to install wire guard around their panels to stop birds from coming in between my roof and their panels.

Therefore, I see ASG is escaping from their responsibilities and are not conducting their business to a standard that meets UK standards.

The significant number of complaints I read about different aspects of ASG business activities across the UK confirms the default of this company. I am just wondering how long it will take before UK courts pick up on ASG. How much damage to homes and societies ASG would cause before they stopped.

I would not recommend ASG to anyone and would make a call on holding this company accountable for the damage they are causing to people and societies across the UK.

In terms of energy and money saving, you save very little by having other companies installing their panels on your roof, this is because solar panels generate electricity in summer where your electricity usage is at its minimal. However, they make the biggest share of profit. In my case, if ASG does not remove the birds and place a wire mesh guard around their panels I would make significant loss as a consequence of this investment. I would not recommend this type of investment to any one particularly if the company is ASG
  • Tonyt
    Options
    My Daughter has just bought a house with solar panels fitted by the company A Shade Greener and there are about 10 pigeons nesting under them. The company leases the roof space and still owns the panels. In the last month 5 eggs have rolled off the roof and smashed on the conservatory roof and made a right mess. I cleaned the gutter which was full to the brim with pigeon droppings and twigs. After only one week the gutter is about 1 inch deep in droppings! There are several nests underneath the panels. Surely the installer should have made provision for this and created a barrier against birds during installation. I have noticed in the contract that the "Landlord" (my daughter) has the right to have the installation removed twice over the 25year lease for up to 3 months at a time for "Reason of renovation or extension of the property". I would imagine that it would be a very costly exercise for the company to remove the installation twice so that we can have access to the roof to remove the detritus, clean the tiles and make good any damage caused by the pigeons! If they are not prepared to install the pigeon barriers free of charge then I will definitely consider this option.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    High pressure water, or high velocity lead will solve the problem.

If A Shade Greener will not accept their liability then take them to the Small Claims Court* for the cost of solving the problem - ASG's quote of £1,500 would be a starter.

*Going to the Small Claims Court is very simple, informal and inexpensive and you get your expenses back if you win. ASG cannot claim their expenses even if you lost your case.

In all probability ASG will settle, by fixing the problem, before it gets to court.
  • BigBird1
    Options
    I had my panels installed 4 years ago by A Shade Greener and this summer for the 1st time am experiencing problems with pigeons. The noise has become unbearable and having JUST had my gutters cleaned (which I do EVERY year) the guys told me that I had major problems with pigeons nesting UNDER the panels with the resultant detritus and muck all over the conservatory roof and the patio underneath. The gutter guys said that I should get a covering sorted as quickly as possible. I decided to go and check the loft and discovered that the birds have started to destroy the covering of the roof INSIDE the loft and there were feathers all over that area of the loft floor. I found this very disturbing to say the least. I phoned ASG today to ask them to come and sort it out to be told that this was my responsibility and the cost would be £450 plus the inevitable VAT. I explained that I was a pensioner and just didn't have that kind of money to be told that it wasn't their problem. I asked why I hadn't been told about this possible problem when the panels were installed - to which I was told that this had only just become a problem!!!!! I told the woman I was speaking to that I wasn't calling her a liar but I found this very very difficult to believe. I told her that there are 3 houses directly opposite mine that also have solar panels that are also experiencing exactly the same problem - to which this lovely lady told me that it was probably just in my street!!!!! I pulled her up on this and said that this was an absolutely insane comment and that she might want to think about what she said BEFORE she said it. I asked what the procedure was for getting someone to come along to start the process of sorting this out to which she replied that an email would be sent to the Head Roofer who would then decide on the cost - NOT that he would come along to view. THEN she suddenly asked whether I had a conservatory - which I confirmed I had - the Coup de Gras was that they may then need scaffolding to which I was also liable!! She then told me that I could of course get a local company to quote for doing the clearing of nests and protection work but that said company would have to send them a Method Statement which they would have to approve before this work could go ahead - I MAY save some money that way!!! How can this Government funded company get away with this abdication of their responsibilities. It is disgusting!! I understand that my contract states that I have the right to get ASG to come along and remove the panels TWICE in my 25 year lease so that I can carry out renovation work - I feel that repairing the tiles - which allows the birds to invade my loft space - would be regarded as renovation, if I am not wrong?. I wonder if they would want to go to that expense????? That is going to be my next move. They say that you can tell the quality of a company's worth b the way they deal with problems or complaints - my opinion is that A SHADE GREENER'S worth is NIL pounds!!!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback