Pigeons nesting under my panels

Options

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    BigBird1 wrote: »
    I understand that my contract states that I have the right to get ASG to come along and remove the panels TWICE in my 25 year lease so that I can carry out renovation work - I feel that repairing the tiles - which allows the birds to invade my loft space - would be regarded as renovation, if I am not wrong?.

Does the contract specifically state they will remove the panels free of charge?
  • happybunny22000
    Options
    Hello
    I have had terrible problems with ASG - has anyone gotten this sorted with them?
  • mickyduck
    mickyduck Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    Another pair trying it on again... Im getting a bit old to be climbing on my roof to chase them off .......
    3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch + Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since
  • bondy_lad
    bondy_lad Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep,have the same problems,a shade shysters,just do not want to know,no mention when signed up,maybe a trip to small claims court,I do not mind a bit.has anyone got anywhere with this lot in the quest for removal of pigeons?.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was looking up at my panels only yesterday and thought about this thread. Loads of wood pigeons in my garden, but they fortunately nest in next door's mahoosive willow. I've had a couple fall down my bedroom fire chimney (great fun _that_ is!), but I'd say the clearance between the panels and the roof is too small for my fat bu**ers (and nothing smaller has tried). Is it the case maybe that some installations are raised further off the roof allowing nesting to happen?
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's my guess silver. But also the orientation of the roof might help/hinder - it'll get too hot for nesting for longer on a southerly roof, whereas my ese roof gets sun earlier but not as hot at midday and then cools earlier in the day than a s or sw roof?

datec66 wrote: »
    I then realised I had bought 100metres of 316L grade stainless wire for my vape coils off ebay. This was 620 micron thick and came out at too little ohms resistance for my liking so was a waste of £5.20 delivered I thought.....

Carl

What I'm after, if anyone has any ideas, is some simple brackets that can clip on the panel itself, but without damaging the panel - ie no drilling (for warranty protection on the panels) , they need to be weather resistant obviously!Need to be about 100-125mm long, not very wide and have a notch cut in towards the end away from the panel - or a hole, whichever would be easiest to make?

I've been thinking about this for a loooong time, but not very deeply, and even bought some wire as per datec66' post cropped above, but that's as far as I've got!

Suggestions welcome, maybe we can start a little business if we get it right!!
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,794 Forumite
    Options
    Good point about the orientation - mine's directly South anyway.

For the clips, how about adapting table cloth clips? Sprung metal which you can face with gaffer tape on the glass contact side, and hole drilled as appropriate. Worth a play?
  • Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,158 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2018 at 2:05PM
    Options
    [IMG]https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/C:\Users\Adrian\Pictures\Ferndown\Solar panels[/IMG]
    theboylard wrote: »
    That's my guess silver. But also the orientation of the roof might help/hinder - it'll get too hot for nesting for longer on a southerly roof, whereas my ese roof gets sun earlier but not as hot at midday and then cools earlier in the day than a s or sw roof?

What I'm after, if anyone has any ideas, is some simple brackets that can clip on the panel itself, but without damaging the panel - ie no drilling (for warranty protection on the panels) , they need to be weather resistant obviously!Need to be about 100-125mm long, not very wide and have a notch cut in towards the end away from the panel - or a hole, whichever would be easiest to make?

I've been thinking about this for a loooong time, but not very deeply, and even bought some wire as per datec66' post cropped above, but that's as far as I've got!

Suggestions welcome, maybe we can start a little business if we get it right!!

[IMG]https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/C:\Users\Adrian\Pictures\Ferndown\Solar panels[/IMG]

Not sure if this post is going to help as I've no idea if the photo's taken have been attached/linked!
    Anyway birdproofing was included in our solar panel purchase so have added three photo's. Along the top and bottom edge of the array it would appear that the clips which clamp the panels themselves have been utilised with no other means visible. Along the sides there appears to be a round disc attached through the mesh to a clip of somesort on the under side of the panels. The third photo shows one of the corners where the bottom and side coincide.

Hope this helps if no photo's are visible then if you let me know your email address I'll mail them to you.

Oh, it's not only birds that need keeping out, if squirells get under there then it's likely that cables may also be chewed. A big problem in Canada apparently!

[IMG]http://View albumsolar panels VIEW SLIDE SHOW DOWNLOAD ALL This album has 3 photos and will be available on OneDrive until 9/10/2018.View album View album Click or drag photos here to add them to this album on OneDrive.[/IMG]
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • Billywhizz74
    Options
    I moved into a house which had A Shader Green solar panels fitted, this year though I've been terrorised by these pesky pigeons, I reckon I have a family of a least 5 under my panels, which is right above my bedroom.
    Ive still yet to speak to ASG but from this thread it seems it would be pretty pointless.

Baring getting myself a air rival, which I am seriously considering! the only other way is to put some mesh around the panels.
    Amazon have a 30M solar panel bird exclusion pack
    Does anyone know if fitting these would affect the warranty of ASG
    I'm not sure how much a roofer would charge to fit as there is no way I'm getting on the roof! But for £240 plus fitting it seems a lot better cost wise than the £1500 that ASG quoted someone who posted above.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I moved into a house which had A Shader Green solar panels fitted, this year though I've been terrorised by these pesky pigeons, I reckon I have a family of a least 5 under my panels, which is right above my bedroom.
    Ive still yet to speak to ASG but from this thread it seems it would be pretty pointless.

Baring getting myself a air rival, which I am seriously considering! the only other way is to put some mesh around the panels.
    Amazon have a 30M solar panel bird exclusion pack
    Does anyone know if fitting these would affect the warranty of ASG
    I'm not sure how much a roofer would charge to fit as there is no way I'm getting on the roof! But for £240 plus fitting it seems a lot better cost wise than the £1500 that ASG quoted someone who posted above.

If you want ASG's attention find the inverter and turn off the electric to it. The system will stop producing and you will get there attention. Yes you will lose the free electricity but someone will soon contact you.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure