Ebay sided with seller

Options

Comments

• Shrimply
    Options
    I hope you get it sorted out but to be honest I think you are asking for trouble buying second hand batteries. Especially a listing that specifically states they haven't been tested. All batteries have a limited number of charge and discharge cycles and you have no idea how much the battery has been used previously. They likely only come with a 6 month warranty when bought new.

If the battery had charged but only held a couple of minutes of energy would you have still wanted to return them?

Even just sitting unused for a while can be enough to destroy a lithium ion battery. And for that reason the sellers story seems pretty reasonable to me.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I looked at his account no address details and only thing I can find is

Item location:
    Town (removed the name), Kent, United Kingdom

I asked ebay for his details they refused even though I asked for it to comply with UK law under The Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013

He states in his listing Returns: No returns accepted
  • savemoney
    edited 28 November 2017 at 11:26AM
    Options
    yes I realise that I do have a working battery that was sold but its one I got with the strimmer I have, its a high voltage battery 36v. The seller said in his advert that he couldnt test it however he is selling at same time the orginal charger so he could have tested it takes all of 10 minutes to show the fault led on charger

Its not a case of being unused but more to do with if the battery goes below a certain voltage it cant be be charged by the charger usually. Its also not good to keep them fully charged lithium batteries all time as it stresses them

Shrimply wrote: »
    I hope you get it sorted out but to be honest I think you are asking for trouble buying second hand batteries. Especially a listing that specifically states they haven't been tested. All batteries have a limited number of charge and discharge cycles and you have no idea how much the battery has been used previously. They likely only come with a 6 month warranty when bought new.

If the battery had charged but only held a couple of minutes of energy would you have still wanted to return them?

Even just sitting unused for a while can be enough to destroy a lithium ion battery. And for that reason the sellers story seems pretty reasonable to me.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »

Item location:

I asked ebay for his details they refused even though I asked for it to comply with UK law under The Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013

He may be a trader but is his account a business one or a personal one? It sounds like his account is registered as personal and so I doubt you can sort this out with Ebay. You'd have to take private action if you want to resolve it.
  • savemoney
    edited 28 November 2017 at 11:33AM
    Options
    I dont know if he is buisness I assume so as he sells a lot of things over 2700 items in 4 1/2 years and mentions in his listing he clears houses so surely must be a trader

I also cant take it any further because I have no address I have a paypal dispute pending

I didnt even set a ebay dispute he did. I thought he would be reasonable and accept it back minus delivery charge to me.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Item location:

I dont know if he is buisness I assume so as he sells a lot of things over 2700 items in 4 1/2 years and mentions in his listing he clears houses so surely must be a trader

I also cant take it any further because I have no address I have a paypal dispute pending

I didnt even set a ebay dispute he did. I thought he would be reasonable and accept it back minus delivery charge to me.

This is beginning to sound like an unregistered business, which in itself should have rung alarm bells immediately- if a seller is happy to mislead his customers do you really want to be buying untested items from them?

If seller is a proper business then if you look at his feedback page it should say so under his name or in that box, if it doesn't then he is selling as a private individual and as such under ebay rules (which are not necessarily the same as the law) you cannot force a change for mind return. Your only option would therefore be to go via small claims and show that based on his selling history and listings he is a business and is therefore required to take returns.

Unfortunately it doesn't help you, but for other newbie buyers reading this- please check before you buy what the status of the seller is. Everyone one of us knows someone who cheats the system a bit and pretends to be selling off their own stuff when they are actually businesses, and whilst we might all turn a blind eye, or even think it funny to mislead in this way- it does have implications if you buy from such an account and want to return something.

OP if you are felling particularly aggrieved by this try reporting the selling account to HMRC , there's a chance the seller is also hiding this income from them as well.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • savemoney
    Options
    Thank you, Soolin and everyone else. I too think he is a business he clearly states he clears houses.

I had hoped he would take item back at my cost but he referred that to ebay on rare occasions I do have issue I always give seller a chance think thats only ever happened once or twice in 14 years
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you, Soolin and everyone else. I too think he is a business he clearly states he clears houses.

I had hoped he would take item back at my cost but he referred that to ebay on rare occasions I do have issue I always give seller a chance think thats only ever happened once or twice in 14 years

This is something where perhaps I differ from the majority of ebayers - it seems masquerading as a private seller to avoid paying ebay listing fees etc is applauded by many people. However, I automatically think if a seller is prepared to act in that way then what else are they happy to do to avoid having to give buyers their rights?

Personally I avoid buying from incorrectly registered sellers.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    You still have the option of a Paypal case. But as I said above - BE BRIEF and state the item has arrived damaged (you didn't answer my question re this above so I am assuming it is damaged not listed). If you are brief and stick to that angle, Paypal will side with you and ask you to return the item. If you google 'returns on us' you can get reimbursement up to £15 from paypal to return.
  • savemoney
    Options
    yes sorry it is only slightly damaged the end of battery has a indicator to show how much power but its got damage as the small led display is broken

I have had zero input in ebay dispute I didnt refer it they did and it then went to paypal once dispute was settled.
    You still have the option of a Paypal case. But as I said above - BE BRIEF and state the item has arrived damaged (you didn't answer my question re this above so I am assuming it is damaged not listed). If you are brief and stick to that angle, Paypal will side with you and ask you to return the item. If you google 'returns on us' you can get reimbursement up to £15 from paypal to return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure