Cutting Down Alcohol Thread

Options

Comments

• lamarsi
    lamarsi Posts: 805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    No problem all up to date now :)
    Thank you lovely xx
    get rid of all the pounds by summer !!
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
    Was -£8900 NOW-£5000 PAID- £3900
    Get rid of the weight, pay the debt, then get myself a campavan! :T
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,439 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all and back on 18/21 for today thanks. I feel good this morning so clearly didn't overdo anything yesterday. :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Morning all 7/15 for me today. I put the recycling out and guess what no wine bottle/s :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Baileysonice
    Options
    Morning all 7/15 for me today. I put the recycling out and guess what no wine bottle/s :)

Congratulations on your 7 day smilie :T:T:T
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Missing a target by one day is frustrating FatRab, but at least you're enjoying the family time and getting on with stuff. In the grand scheme of things you won't remember that one day but you will remember the turning point when you were back with the family in every sense.
    Glenda wrote: »
    Has anybody every managed to give up one drink like say wine because it doesn't agree with them but continued to drink beer? Or would there be a risk of just using beer as a substitute. I'm not trying to find excuses to not stick to my targets but if there was a way I could have a social drink and not lose all control I would.

It's the holy grail of drinking, Glenda - being able to moderate! My tipples were red wine or G&T. When I knew my drinking wasn't under control I thought having beer would be the answer - I'd drink less because I didn't like it. Within a matter of weeks I was on five pints a night. Yuk. Changing drinks to see if we can find one that we won't over-indulge with is also a marker for a potential problem with booze generally.

It's worth trying alcohol-free drinks such as B3ck$ B1u3 or any of the AF wines, beers or lagers early in the evening so that you can pace yourself more easily. None of them taste like the real thing but some of them are fine.

Alcohol is alcohol; the brand, the colour, beer, wine or spirits are all an irrelevancy I'm afraid.

21/31 please, Baileys.
    Better is good enough.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

:rotfl:

That's a bonus!! :D I was OK when we had to drive to the bottle bank (and spend an age posting them through:o) but it became an embarrassment when we got a doorstep service and all my neighbours could see the loaded box! :eek:

I understand what you're saying about choosing alcoholic drinks that you don't like much HB. It's such a shame that so many soft drinks are incredibly sweet._pale_ When I'm AF in a pub I tend to have fizzy water.

No drinking here today. I'm delighted at how quickly I've just slid back into AF after my holiday. Even on holiday my habits have changed so much. I didn't drink at lunchtime and in the evening I'll just share a bottle with DH in a restaurant. Gone are the days when I had a bottle in my luggage for a drink in my room before a pre-dinner drink in the bar.:o

9 AFDs please Baileys.
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Morning all. 17/23 please
    Will pick back up Friday. xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,439 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Has anybody every managed to give up one drink like say wine because it doesn't agree with them but continued to drink beer? Or would there be a risk of just using beer as a substitute. 4/15for me please Baileys

Glenda, I tried using cider as a substitute for wine for a while, because I was concerned about my wine consumption and tended to drink less cider because I didn't like it quite as much, but it didn't achieve anything in the long run because I just went back to wine. I know it's not quite what you're asking but I'd agree with Honey Bear, substitution of drinks doesn't really work.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Paspatur
    Paspatur Posts: 490 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So a Tuesday would have been my wine in front of the TV evening not to say I could'nt do it on a Wednesday or a Thursday for that matter but mostly Tuesday's. Tonight I changed my routine like you suggested Paspatur i had a lovely hot bath and a pamper session. Felt great afterwards.

if there was a way I could have a social drink and not lose all control I would.

4/15for me please Baileys

Glenda glad the change of routine worked for you
    I am with Honey Bear on this one - booze is booze is booze - if you have no 'off switch' like me then changing drink will not help
    I am now on 60 days in a row AF and it does get easier with time
    21/31 for today please Baileys
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I haven't been here for a while. I don't even think I posted a target for March, oops.

I fell of the wagon for two weeks, where I drank during the week.

My aim was not to drink Monday to Thursday.

But the good side is that I stopped after two weeks and didn't drink during the week last week or (so far) this week.

However, I didn't half crave wine last night which I guess shows I have a problem with the stuff. But I left it alone and had a couple of cups of tea.

Still, I'm up to 7 days this month and will continue on with my not drinking during the week.

I don't think I am doing myself any favours and really should give it up at the weekends too, but not sure I am ready for that as I really look forward to wine on a Friday.

But I think it is just fuelling my cravings. Both my dad and brother have given up (my dad longer than my bro) and although I haven't confessed to a full on drink problem, they are aware I am trying to keep it under control.

One said that the cravings go after two months, and the other said after three, so by me drinking at the weekend, I'm not ever giving myself the change for the cravings to go (if that makes sense).
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business