Mobile 5g Data for the home incoming. Beginning of the end for fixed line ISP's?

Options

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Well, nearly

From 3's Ts & Cs

That’s why we’ve set a usage cap at 1,000 GB, in order to identify commercial use of the service, for example, which is not permitted under the Terms for Three Services.

I appreciate that 1000GB is an awful lot!:)
    You could use that quite easily if you download a few games and stream video.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 November 2018 at 9:32PM
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Indeed. Certainly in many rural areas of the UK 4G is currently virtually non-existent.
    This, in many parts 5G just aint gonna happen. Fine for you city dwellers but out there in rural parts with little or no mobile signal and poor digital radio and tv coverage landline will still have a part to play. FTTP is the most likely solution as they seem to have given up on using the power network for data.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm only ~ 5 miles from the centre of Cardiff - but in or around the house forget 4g - can't even get a reliable 3g signal some days. I think we are stuck with a fixed line for the foreseeable future:(
  • Al3x
    Al3x Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    darkovo wrote: »
    Three mobile has just introduced Unlimited 4g data plans for just £20 a month, tethering allowed.

Having trouble finding this deal, can only see £27 pm for unlimited

I know it says tethering allowed, but would I be able to use this with a 4G router and get rid of the crappy BT ADSL line!? No need for landline anyway...
  • Al3x
    Al3x Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Actually was just looking at the EE 4G offering and it's 300Gb for £70pm with a £100 upfront router cost...

The THREE offering may just cut it, as we have good 4G signal with both providers
  • Timalay
    Timalay Posts: 906 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 December 2018 at 11:41PM
    Options
    No in my in my honest opinion. With the recent 5G auction selling off 3400Mhz for 5G. From what I can gather the 3400Mhz band isn't that great at penetrating walls (From the stories I've from Relish broadband, which uses the same 3400Mhz spectrum, but with 4G) and the range might not be that good.
    Also, it should be interesting to see how they combat the congestion problems that the 700Mhz 5G band might have.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Marvqn1 wrote: »
    Three already offer unlimited data on 4G.
    I imagine if everybody actually used it in earnest the speeds delivered would plummet. High headline speeds don't necessarily mean that the bandwidth is there for everybody to get high speeds at any time. Just ask a VM customer with a couple of torrent freaks nearby.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Al3x wrote: »
    It was a time limited offer. It may well return.
  • Pluto88888
    Pluto88888 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 13 December 2018 at 9:10PM
    Options
    I have 3 sim deal with three UK
    iPhone x paying £13 a month AYCE 200 minutes unlimited text unlimited hotspot usage been over 150gb - 250gb each month coming up to 20 months not even one word from three UK.

iPhone xs Max work phone paying £14 AYCE 600 minutes unlimited text unlimited hotspot usage been over 50gb each month

Finally cancelled my virgin media 70 mb broadband with phone the scammers charging me over £35 a month not even using the landline at all.
    Bills went from £24,£27,£29,£32,£35

Purchased a three UK sim for £20 black Friday ayce everything downgraded my minutes to 200 minutes within the 14 days cooling Period
    At the end only paying £11 ayce 200 minutes unlimited hotspot in my 4g tplink AC 1200 router getting speeds 50mb - 70mb everything work exactly the same as before.
    So I really hope 5g takes off and kill off bt and virgin in the future.
  • Pluto88888
    Pluto88888 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 13 December 2018 at 9:13PM
    Options
    Al3x wrote: »

I know it says tethering allowed, but would I be able to use this with a 4G router and get rid of the crappy BT ADSL line!? No need for landline anyway...

Hello, Take out the three existing customer deal £16 for 30gb data once your sim card arrives download the my3 app click on change price plans unlimited everything for £19 a month remember to use quidco £60 cashback.

Cheap way to have £19 home broadband via 4g router remember depends on your area for speeds test your speeds on a free payandgo sim card before committing yourself into 12 months or purchase your sim card online that way your covered by the 14 days cooling off period.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure