The £1,000 emergency fund challenge.

Options

Comments

• Swash
    Swash Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, my car cost me a grand total of £20.00 (for now), so my EF is at £889.75.
    "Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles".
  • LittleMissDetermined
    Options
    Swash wrote: »
    Well, my car cost me a grand total of £20.00 (for now), so my EF is at £889.75.

That's good news! :j
    Life gets in the way...PADding is addictive...Saving's better than spending...
    2024 1p challenge #11 | Cash envelope challenge #01 | SPC #017
    Sealed pot 2024 £2551.68 | EF £1000/£1000 | Sabbatical £970/£3000 | Holiday spends £540 | General Saver £2422.48
  • Swash
    Swash Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's good news! :j

Thanks, it will need more spending on it but it can last until after Christmas :j
    "Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles".
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well done to everyone who has saved something towards their EF and a deserved:beer: to those whose emergencies have ended up costing less than feared.

I'm having a bit of a battle with my pet insurance as the company are refusing to pay out because the illness/treatment wasn't on the list of included items covered. My vet thinks otherwise so I've returned the claim form to the insurers anyway (after involving the vet's practice in a lot of extra paperwork:o) and am just hoping I'll get something back for the approx. £150 I had to pay the vet. There's an excess of £75 anyway so I won't get much but every little helps. I've had the policy for about 6 years and only made one very small claim near the start. The premium goes up every year as the cat gets older (although he's still only 7 and my last cat lived a healthy life until 20!) so I'd be better cancelling the policy and putting a small amount away in my EF to cover eventualities.

Otherwise my EF is static, nothing in and nothing out.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I never bothered with pet insurance when I had a cat. It was better to put what the premium would have cost in a jar each month.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• LittleMissDetermined
    Options
    £5 popped into my EF today. I will try and add to this at least twice a week. Pretty hard when I am trying to clear my debts but I appreciate the importance of having one.

EF now stands at £25/£1000 (2.5%)

Sounds so little when it's written like that :(
    Sealed pot 2024 £2551.68 | EF £1000/£1000 | Sabbatical £970/£3000 | Holiday spends £540 | General Saver £2422.48
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 23 October 2015 at 12:57PM
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    I never bothered with pet insurance when I had a cat. It was better to put what the premium would have cost in a jar each month.

I've owned cats all my life and never had insurance before this one. Luckily never had any big vet bills apart from routine stuff that insurance policies don't cover anyway.

But after 3 different friends/neighbours have had huge bills (amounting to £1500 for a recent one:eek:) because of orthopaedic surgery necessary after their cats were hit by cars (and all on the road that goes past our house:eek:) I daren't risk not having it. This is a very rural area, the road past us is barely wide enough for 2 of anything bigger than cars to pass each other but there are a lot of drivers racing through now using as a ratrun whilst there are endless roadworks and detours on the busier roads:mad:. A vet bill of £1500 would be impossible for me without credit cards to fall back on any more:o ( and there's no way I'd let them put my cat down unless he was suffering too much) but the EF (thanks patman:beer:) has given me a lot more peace of mind and that's one of the reasons I feel confident enough to cancel the policy.

I got massive cashback from Quidco when I first signed up and the premiums were reasonably low the first 2 or 3 years but went up 20% this year despite not making any claim whatsoever for 3 years:eek:. Plus, an excess of £75 is ridiculously high but is fixed not optional:mad:

The idea of saving money in a jar for it is sound but the worry is that with finances being what they are my designated 'cat' money would be spent to cover any other of life's more costly emergencies.
  • mossy
    mossy Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone, I became debt free last week and so now I'm trying to build up an emergency fund. I've been doing this without realising there was a thread for it!! So please can I join you. :)

I have been saving 1% of my income and putting it away in my EF but now I've got a little bit of extra cash I've started adding a bit more. If I have any spare at the end of the month I'll throw that in to the fund too. :)
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!
    :starmod: Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - £10/£1000 1% :starmod:
    :xmastree:#083 SPC6 £63 - SPC7 £90 - SPC8 £63 - SPC9 £54 - SPC10 £26 - SPC12 £70 :xmastree:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mossy wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I became debt free last week ......

Congratulations:T:beer::dance:_party_. I bet it feels wonderful!

Roll on the day (not for a while yet though:() when I am:j
  • LittleMissDetermined
    Options
    mossy wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I became debt free last week

Yay! Well done... as Carbootcrazy said above: roll on the day I am!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback