PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Glad you got your sausage roll stash replenished PN, I really must buy or make some as all the sausage roll talk is making me want one. I might see if my son when he arrives fancies popping to Greggs:).

Not much to report here, my face is a lot less swollen but still very sore and I'm feeling grotty from all the meds:(. I don't think I'll be doing much today, though if it stays dry I might get a potter outside later:).

We are having the salmon planned for last night tonight so an easy meal to put together.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    'Morning all. Misty start but sun's out now. But I'm stuck in, waiting on the postie with I hope my packet. It would be a nice day to be out & about

Happy morning, scales are going down at last, upset tums have silver linings:T

Breakfast was overnight soaked porridge, bit of planning ahead there, with sliced banana, HM thick yoghurt & honey

Lunch, likely to be cheese salady sarnie
    A fridge with sausage rolls in it is a happy fridge :)

As is a belly:):)

Thanks for Victorian link, new site to me, I'll browse later. My rellies workhouse experience was from opposite ends. One lot inside, the other was the Chaplain. Different workhouses and Counties BTW

The sunshine is calling me to get out & pot on the last of the tomatoes this afternoon, these ones are wall basket ones, saved my own seed in 2013 and still viable, some you win etc
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had porridge for breakfast and need to go visit a dd in hospital this afternoon so actifried a pork chop and had it with some veg chilli beans. Need to go catch a bus soon so hung washing outside, loaded dishwasher and have more washing whirring in the machine.

Tonight will probably be a ready meal from the freezer unless inspiration strikes or I do a quck shop while I am out. Low fat sausages are defrosting in the fridge in case dd and sil pop in tomorrow for a late breakfast.

Pastures

I am firmly convinced that even if a planned menu was positively angelic someone , somewhere would stick their beak in and find fault. I agree with your philosophy that unless they plan to do the buying, prep and cooking for you then it is none of their business.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Elona wrote: »

Pastures

I am firmly convinced that even if a planned menu was positively angelic someone , somewhere would stick their beak in and find fault. I agree with your philosophy that unless they plan to do the buying, prep and cooking for you then it is none of their business.

It's endless.
    Eat eggs; no don't.
    Stay away from lard; no it's fine.
    Palm oil.
    Eat fish; no it's got plastic in it.
    Go veggie; no, go vegan.
    Food miles, local produce.
    Fly in exotic ingredients for a recipe online/on the telly. Aren't you killing rain forests?

Endless.... so many drums people are banging :)

I must be doing something right because 1] I'm still alive 2] I weigh about 8½ stone.

I mowed the grass, first cut of the year. I wasn't overly bothered about the finer detail, I just concentrated on "look at that mess, get about 90% of the worst of it done.... you can do the rest the next time you have a go". I hate doing it. Took the clippings down the tip (£65/year here for a bin and I only go 4-5x a year).

Two hot sausage rolls for lunch :)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The pizza was lovely. Now I'm sitting in the garden in the sun with a book.

I did walk to the shop as I fancied making roasted cauliflower and they didn't have any. I couldn't be bothered to walk up to another shop so I just went back home.;)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The pizza was lovely. Now I'm sitting in the garden in the sun with a book.
    It's not that good here. Sun's out, but it's a bit nippy. My indoor thermometer's showing 60C. As a rule, my garden's a bit too breezy to sit in.... and I don't read. Everything I need/want is indoors here... coffee, table to put it on, PC, telly, phone, comfy sofa/cushions. I can't see myself getting a chair out and sitting out there.... as there's nothing to do :) I also might get pooped on by seagulls.... the patio's dotted with it!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Lovely day, I could sit in garden but don't. So nice & sunny the greenfly have arrived on my dahlias:(

Toms potted on, I think if the weather holds next week I'll have to follow PN example & attack the grass, once I've scooped the cat poo off:mad:
    I did walk to the shop as I fancied making roasted cauliflower and they didn't have any. I couldn't be bothered to walk up to another shop so I just went back home.;)

Sounds like my style of shopping, plenty of CBA, if not on the shelf I'll not bother

Dinner
    Could be Healthy oily mackerel, with new spuds & salad
    Will be, tin of sausages & beans on toast:D

My package arrived too late for me to bother going out, I'll make the effort tomorrow if not pouring
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 April 2018 at 4:18PM
    Options
    well I have been a lucky booger with the weather today, the work on the allotment was done in not too hot temperature, assembling a stucture for my few beans and oiling and sharpening all my tools, then sweeping my shed and don`t it all look tidy!!

Had my tasty stir fry, blackcurrant tart and chocolate, put my, was dirty now washed, gardening clothes out to dry. Put beans to soak for planting and prepared root trainers for 5 beans, 2 more than I need. Sown mini cucs, 2 courgettes and two squash. Then by golly it was hot, so garden zero gravity chair lifted out the shed for the summer season. Sun screen on face, GnT in hand and a very nice relax. Put the solar bird bath out, good job I was tidy when I put it away, knew exactly where it was. That was it, now watch the summer next week be a short one

I have got to have make those sausage rolls tomorrow, mouth is watering for them. I`ll just have stir fry veg for starters, got to keep on with the veg, more coming next week. I have excess of carrots, will have to make carrot juice and watch me turn orange

Yes I agree with the posts above, we all eat what we can as best we can and within means and most of us have better things to do than stand and cook, we have enough to do just living on a solo level
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Completely agree that food choices seem to be a very complex area these days. Personally I'm fed up with all the preaching from so-called "experts" flogging their latest manta/book/supplements and as with most things in life happy to do what suits me....:cool:

Early promise of sunshine didn't last though it's perk up a bit again now. However, I have slept loads today so wouldn't have got any gardening done anyway.:( Thankfully the sleeping seems to have banished a good bit of the grottiness just need to refind my oomph and my balance now;).

My son didn't get here until an hour or so ago as stopped en route to visit his Dad so no sausage roll for lunch. I had pate & tomato on toast instead. The lovely lad has already built my garden trolley, blast hosed my bird feeders and has now popped to Wilkinsons with a list:). He's also volunteered to cook tonight which will be lovely:D.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lovely sunny day here. Morning spent in hairdressers and a nice walk this afternoon only 8km today :D although I think we both regret the decision to walk across the fields, just a little muddy :eek: jeans in wash and walking shoes left on doorstep to dry, it was nice to be walking in a tee shirt lets hope it last. Although the advantage of rain is I can avoid mowing the lawn, unfortunately now they are in their 20s and working either of my nephews will mow it for £5 :(

YS smoked salmon made into a sandwich for lunch and it will be venison steak with salad for dinner I may make a chimichurri sauce for the steak just debating whether I want to cook some new potatoes to go with it.

I'm a strong believer in live and let live with diet choices I eat what makes me feel good, I know I benefit from eating healthier and too much bread / wheat upsets me (I still eat it and then complain about it!) I also have no will power so I'm easily led astray with 'naughties'. I ignore the articles which tell me what's bad to eat and just read the ones which tell me a glass of red wine is good for my heart so is dark chocolate ;)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback