PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Really healthy eating on a budget

Options

Comments

• Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm following this thread hoping to get my food bill down too, I try to eat as healthy as possible but my food bill is around £50 a week, just for me :o
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We were £40 a meal for two before I started really planning meals and trying to be more budget conscious. I thought I was spending a lot more than that till I added it up.
    Ironically it went up to £48 a week when we started budgeting but I did stock up on reduced quorn stuff and 3 for £10 packets of salmon. I reckon there's now a months worth of stuff in our little freezer and we'll just need dairy and veg to go with it.
  • JamesO
    JamesO Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    main-qimg-c0ee9d57f2dcb14d9a36d065ecfa026c-c

;)
    edited 11 February 2018 at 10:34PM
    Options
    I think what I'd really like to do - once we've eaten the contents of our freezer - is make myself a fortnightly meal plan.

I really like this website https://eatnotspend.wordpress.com/

I'd like to make something similar to the meal plans with shopping lists on there that fits in with my idea of healthy eating - 2 portions of oily fish a week, lots of veg, no gluten, no sugar and perhaps no dairy. Make the plan and the list with perhaps a day which could be flexible when I could try new things.

I keep thinking gram flour might be a good move. I don't eat onion anymore (migraines!) but wondered if I could make bhajis with other veg grated and gram flour. It can also be used to make gluten free flatbreads. I might try that for lunches.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JennyP wrote: »

I keep thinking gram flour might be a good move. I don't eat onion anymore (migraines!) but wondered if I could make bhajis with other veg grated and gram flour..

Yes, they’re called a “pakora”. It makes a good fritter batter, too.

Gram flour is also used in Indian sweets. Besan Burfi is the name of the one my colleague brings in to work.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    JennyP wrote: »

I keep thinking gram flour might be a good move. I don't eat onion anymore (migraines!) but wondered if I could make bhajis with other veg grated and gram flour. It can also be used to make gluten free flatbreads. I might try that for lunches.

When you say "onion" would that apply to anything else in the same "family" as well? For instance - leeks could be substituted for onions. Or do you react to anything in the allium line?
  • JennyP
    Options
    When you say "onion" would that apply to anything else in the same "family" as well? For instance - leeks could be substituted for onions. Or do you react to anything in the allium line?

I can have garlic. Would have to look leaks up but think they're OK.
    I'm not 100% certain onions do anything but it was on the list of foods to avoid.
  • JennyP
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Yes, they’re called a “pakora”. It makes a good fritter batter, too.

Gram flour is also used in Indian sweets. Besan Burfi is the name of the one my colleague brings in to work.

- Pip

I thought I was about to invent an amazing new food!!!! :rotfl:
  • ScotinLondon
    Options
    Pakora's, Bhaji's in my book are all the same thing - well according to my mum anyway...Bhajis used to be regular occurrance in our household when we were growing up and any veg would be used...potatoes, onions, chillis, mushrooms, courgettes etc. It's the gram flour batter that you need to get right - not too thin and and not thick and the right spice mix too...when done right, it is v good, especially with tamarind sauce and chilli chutney that the indian sweet marts give out. Just perfect.

If you live in London, the best place is Maru's by Alperon Station. It looks like a dive and the service is hit & miss, but the bhajia's are great.

SIL
  • dbrookf
    dbrookf Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My non-veggie hubby and I just love this healthy stew....cheap and cheerful...we have it regularly:

http://www.recipes.vegsoc.org/recipe.aspx?cId=645&cTheme=85
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport