MSE TicketySplit app discussion

Options

Comments

• Madminder
    Options
    dwl99 wrote: »
    Whenever I try to use the mobile website I get an error "please select a valid departure station" no matter what I type in - any ideas?

Same here. Blooming typical, first time I've tried it and it's not working!!!!
  • StevenDr
    StevenDr Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does the app also search for fares which go past your station? For example, I was looking at single fares from London Euston to Lockerbie. The Virgin Trains site offered me a price of £104 for London to Lockerbie. I then checked a fare from London Euston to Glasgow (which is north of Lockerbie). This would cost me £71. So I could get a ticket to Glasgow and jump off at Lockerbie (I checked that the train stopped in Lockerbie and there are no ticket barriers at Lockerbie).
  • Former_MSE_Adam
    Options
    Madminder wrote: »
    Same here. Blooming typical, first time I've tried it and it's not working!!!!

Apologies for this, we had a minor problem with the tool that stopped it working for a few people. This has now been rectified.

Thanks,
    Adam
  • blanik
    blanik Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 June 2012 at 4:17PM
    Options
    StevenDr wrote: »
    Does the app also search for fares which go past your station? For example, I was looking at single fares from London Euston to Lockerbie. The Virgin Trains site offered me a price of £104 for London to Lockerbie. I then checked a fare from London Euston to Glasgow (which is north of Lockerbie). This would cost me £71. So I could get a ticket to Glasgow and jump off at Lockerbie (I checked that the train stopped in Lockerbie and there are no ticket barriers at Lockerbie).

I suspect that the £71 fare is an advance ticket that will expressly prohibit breaks of journey so you cannot get off at Lockerbie.

Did you look at getting an advance ticket London to Carlisle ( currently £68 or £41 for travel in the next week ) then a walk on ticket (£6) from there? Strictly I think you would need to get off the Virgin train at Carlisle to complete the advanced ticket journey and reboard a train to Lockerbie.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    blanik wrote: »
    Strictly I think you would need to get off the Virgin train at Carlisle to complete the advanced ticket journey and reboard a train to Lockerbie.
    If you have a valid ticket from London to Carlisle, and a valid ticket from Carlisle to Lockerbie, then the train must stop at the changeover point, Carlisle, but there is no need to get off the train and back on again.
  • blanik
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    If you have a valid ticket from London to Carlisle, and a valid ticket from Carlisle to Lockerbie, then the train must stop at the changeover point, Carlisle, but there is no need to get off the train and back on again.

thanks for the correction!
  • blanik
    Options
    Delayed trains and split advanced tickets.

On the main site there is a warning that if the 1st train runs late the 2nd ticket might not be valid http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets#changetrain

However I found details posted elsewhere, supposedly from the official manual, that the 2nd ticket should be endorsed for later travel with the same company at no cost. See Q22 section 2 which includes the example "e.g. Advance ticket Bristol-Paddington plus tube single ticket, plus advance ticket Kings Cross to Hull;" http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48377&highlight=Advance+FAQs

Perhaps someone from MSE could clarify?
  • skipness
    skipness Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    This question may have been posted before, if so sorry!
    The first part of my journey would be from an unstaffed station. Can the conductor/guard issue split tickets?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    skipness wrote: »
    This question may have been posted before, if so sorry!
    The first part of my journey would be from an unstaffed station. Can the conductor/guard issue split tickets?
    If there is no facility to buy the tickets at your departure station, you should buy the tickets at your first opportunity.
    This may be from the guard/conductor, at an interchange station or at your destination.
  • skipness
    skipness Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    If there is no facility to buy the tickets at your departure station, you should buy the tickets at your first opportunity.
    This may be from the guard/conductor, at an interchange station or at your destination.

Unfortunately, the ticket split for the journey I was researching occurs part way through the 2nd leg, not at the interchange from branch to main line.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure