Absent milk teeth

Options
My twenty month old daughter's teeth seem to be a bit odd  :o

I've made myself an appointment with my dentist next week and will take her with me for him to have a look, but just wondered if anyone else has ever encountered this.

Her front pair of incisors at the bottom are completely different shapes.  She hasn't got through the next pair of incisors or canines at the bottom, but does have the 2 molars.  The space between the front teeth and the molars is no way large enough for 4 teeth to come through.  Nor can I see evidence of these teeth in the gum, just look like there are 2.

Done a bit of hunting on google, and there's a fairly common condition called hypodontia, which is absence of one or more teeth.  My guess is that it might be that.

Feeling worried....  :'(

Can anyone offer any advice?

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

well not up on what all the teeth are called - but instead of having the 4 square(ish) teeth at top I only ever had 2 and (fangs) next to it ie I was missing 2 teeth - my mum also has this.

mum (who is nearly 60) had to have false teeth, but mine were capped for me when I was about 14. Also one of the big front teeth cos i broke it falling down. Dentist made them all slightly bigger than normal so though i have a gap it's not very big.

Only caused me problems during my teenage years just prior to being done (due to other kids comments!).
    No-one nowadays knows unless i choose to tell them.

BTW this happened with my 2nd teeth not my milk ones.
    I agree with going to your dentist to check things over though.
  • purplepatch
    purplepatch Posts: 2,534 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Spendless. Since posting earlier, I've stumbled upon a mumsnet messageboard where there was a discussion about kids having milk teeth missing.

Apparently your situation with permanent teeth missing can affect up to 20% of the population. Its more rare to have milk teeth missing, and usually means the permanent teeth are missing too.

Oh well, no point in getting carried away with my own diagnosis! Will wait and see what the dentist has to say next week :-/
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    try not to worry until you have discussed it with dentist purplepatch, I'm sure they will then give you all the advice you need, but if they don't and you are still worried visit your GP and ask for referral to Hospital Orthodontic Department.
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure