Personal experience with Virgin Fibre BB ??

Options
adindas
adindas Posts: 6,814 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 24 January 2019 at 10:26PM in Broadband & internet access
Has anyone tried Virgin VIVID 100 fibre broadband 100mbs and it just cost £27 pm.

I am currently with Talktalk Fiber with boosters which cost me £27.50 pm. But the main problem here is that the speed that I get is nowhere near the advertised speed of 63 mps. So if I switch it to BT, Sky or other ISP providers which is using Openreach / BT lines I will still can not not get 63mps speed.

I wonder based on people experience did people really get the Virgin advertised speed ?

Also after one year it will jump to almost twice. How easy it is to move your ISP again to another provider ?

Thanks

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 January 2019 at 9:33PM
    Options
    Yes, with virgin, you get that exact speed. (unless in a congested area where it may drop off at peak times 6pm?)

But note your upload with be slower. 3Mbps I was getting! (rather than 9 on openreach).

Yes you can move again after a year (just don't damage the old cabling!) or do a deal with VM
  • escapee
    escapee Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been with Virgin for many years and the speed I achieve when downloading content has always been extremely close if not bang on what was advertised.

Lately my connection has been maxing out at over the projected speed!

Take a look at Martin's 12 month deal offer here to get Virgin Fibre as low as £18.75 per month.

https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/search-96022
  • escapee
    escapee Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They used to throttle at peak periods but I've seen no evidence of this for at least a couple of years.

AFAIK it is truly unlimited. Personally I don't get anywhere near 5TB per month

For info, I've just found this on Broadband Choices Website:

Virgin Media fair usage
    Virgin Media's unlimited packages are indeed unlimited with no limit to how much you can download. It also no longer manages web traffic - it's truly unlimited.
  • snapdoodle
    Options
    Yes, I have this for many years. Currently only paying £22 with a TV box. I don't use the phone but no issues with BB speeds or services.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    Thanks. That is very promising. I could not take Martin's 12 month deal at the moment as I am still tied up with talk talk until the end of March this year.

Dependant on how the costs work out you could cancel the Talktalk now and just pay the early termination costs, then grab the Virgin offer.
  • AndyPK
    Options
    or if you don't want to transfer the phone number, have both running at the same time
  • samizdat
    samizdat Posts: 398 Forumite
    Options
    In case anyone in a similar position already ordered Martin's Virgin deal at £18.75/month, you can just call Virgin and postpone the installation date to coincide with the end of your current broadband deal.

Not sure how long they will defer, but they agreed a one month delay for me.
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had Virgin a couple of years ago - I was not impressed with them. The speeds weren't great for me - but to be fair the walls in my house made signal difficult with any provider (though I did find BT better).

The virgin customer service I experienced was absolutely dreadful, amongst the worst I've ever encountered. I'll never use them again.
  • Sallyf
    Options
    I’ve just moved to Virgin with the £25 per month and £75 credited to the account so 1st payment of £25 on 10/7/19....just got 1st bill and getting charged £50 on 08/05/19 and £75 is not showing in account and they are refusing to add £75 to account! Customer Service is appalling - will be moving to another provider one 12 month contract has ended!.
  • AndyPK
    Options
    show them the evidence of the credit on the deal, and get them to add it.

As a new customer you are in a good possition to prove the agreed contract.

If it is within 14 days, tell them you wish to leave immediatly
    infact. it maybe 28-30 days ???

Firs bill could be £50 as they take a month in advance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills