Windows 10 computer.Now old printer won't work.Ideas?

Options
Just got a ,previously used,windows 10 computer.It looks like my faithful Lexmark printer Z735,which only has one cartridge and is just a printer ,doesn't have drivers for it that i can search for.Is there any way round it,or do i just give up and get a new one ?I see the new ones are all in one printers,which i don't really need,again,any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Slim chance - try Vista64bit driver here
    http://www.siliconguide.com/drivers/device/226/
    Connect printer to computer with USB lead when requested.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks,but it didn't work.I went on to the Microsoft,and Lexmark sites but whatever I found out and tried didn't work and it does state that there is no support any longer for my obviously now antique,printer!

Such a shame,but there it is ,progress.My old windows 7 was nearly grinding to a halt so I had to do something.Now I need to find a more modern printer but it does look as if they all come with more facilities and more expensive ink!
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quite a lot of older printers work on Windows 10 even if there are no specific drivers produced. I have a 12 year old HP Laser printer and this works by using whatever the default HP driver is. It picked it up when originally plugged in via USB.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Froglet wrote: »
    Just got a ,previously used,windows 10 computer.It looks like my faithful Lexmark printer Z735,which only has one cartridge and is just a printer ,doesn't have drivers for it that i can search for.Is there any way round it,or do i just give up and get a new one ?I see the new ones are all in one printers,which i don't really need,again,any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Plug it in and see if it works with the drivers built into Windows. You might not need any specific ones.
  • Froglet
    Options
    Thanks,but I have tried that.Even the computer expert who swapped over my old Windows 7 computer to this modern,Windows 10 one tried,and advised I needed a new one.I decided to try all I could think of but it's not looking good when Lexmark's own site states there is no driver for the series 730.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Very last chance you could try windows compatibility mode on the driver. See
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-non-compatible-printer-drivers-windows-10
  • Froglet
    Options
    Thanks,I'll try that later when I'm back on the computer.I'm not giving up until I have to !
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cranford wrote: »
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-non-compatible-printer-drivers-windows-10

Yes, that may well work. I had to do that to install an older small Canon Selphy Printer in W10. Just like your Lexmark, Canon would suggest it is not possible but it works absolutely fine!
  • Froglet
    Options
    I have looked at Lexmark website but find it confusing and am not sure how to find the right driver to download.So far I have tried through some promising websites but avg anti virus keeps stopping any attempt.
  • rdr
    rdr Posts: 400 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cranford wrote: »

Worker for me on my Canon MP610, funny that canon didn't mention the posibility and wanted to sell me a new printer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure