Windows 10 computer.Now old printer won't work.Ideas?

Options

Comments

• that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 13 February 2019 at 12:19PM
    Options
    you may get that printer working on linux? if you can, you can share it and use a postscript driver on windows to possibly get it to work?

https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO-9.html

There is also this under Raspberry, but insure if a windows driver for your printer is needed or not. From what i remember, under windows it is not if printed on a shared machine that has drivers, but linux?
    https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1467103-cups-printing-with-windows-10

you have read this page as it mentions windows 10 drivers for Lexmark printer Z735 under Windows 10/ 8/ 8.1/ 7/ Vista/ Xp (32-bit, 64-bit)
    https://lexmarkprinterdrivers.net/lexmark-z735-driver/
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for that,I'll digest it later when I'm back on the computer,and let you know.It sounds promising.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Make sure to scan the download for viruses and malware before running it. And choose the Custom install method (if offered) so as to avoid installing any toolbars or other spammy stuff.

I'm not saying these will be there - just be careful as this is not an official Lexmark website.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Froglet wrote: »
    The computer wizard who had just transferred my info from my old computer to a new windows 10 put AVG on it as he reckons it's one of the best.Thanks though

Sounds like he hasnt quite finished his training at Hogwarts yet if he is advising you put AVG onto windows 10 ;)
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    OP - a jet direct box would fix your problem - and is the only way ..

But with them clocking in at around £120, and a brand new printer of your model costing £19.99 I dont think you will be doing that ;)
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    OP - a jet direct box would fix your problem - and is the only way
    How? unless they have changed and can now do emulation? Will still need drivers for the lexmark as it will only put the printer on a network?
  • Froglet
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Sounds like he hasnt quite finished his training at Hogwarts yet if he is advising you put AVG onto windows 10 ;)

Why is that Andy?
  • Froglet
    Options
    I have come up with a solution until I decide whether to buy a new one or not,or continue looking for a way to use it with windows 10.My sister has an xp laptop ,but she doesn't have the internet installed on it.However it has be used in the past for that.So I am going to borrow it,merely for printing anything from the internet that doesn't involve higher risk websites,as I know that xp isn't supported any longer.

My main use has been for making up my genealogical albums from info on the relevant sites.But I have now finished doing them and won't need to print too often in the future.i want to make sure that it will run ok,but I do know that the printer will work with xp.

I am a little nervous of keeping on trying to get the printer working as some of the sites I use seem to get viruses,and avg does pick them up.I am not very computer savvy so I am wary now.
  • Froglet
    Options
    I am very grateful to everyone that has posted ,for your help.Thank you.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Froglet wrote: »
    Why is that Andy?

See posts #17 and #18. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing