PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Daz, you have to get that put right! It's a good job you had preps and could cope, but at the end of the day that needs sorting.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Absolutely! Daz, hope its a bit better today, don't make it worse again :(

JKO - omigod :j:j:j
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    im ok now 2 or 3 days after getting prescribed meds cochicine and naproxen was a lot better....not completely right but i just have knee pain dont know if its arthiritus or gout....might ask dr for an x-ray... otherwise going to start being caught up in my firms attendance policy ...3 abscences in 12 months is stage one at stage 3 they can let you go...so it is quite worrying....im trying to help by losing weight lost nearly 2 stone since middle of June.....thanks for kind words and advice
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whatever your company's policy, you have some protection in law....get advice from your Union or local advice services such as CAB and get medical notes from the doctor.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Daz does stage 1 reset to nought after a period of time? I've never worked where I would have to worry about absense records but this past year would have seen me in very bad strie if I had. Workers rights still have a shed way to go as far as I'm concerned. I'm surmising that you're a carer daz. If so, and as this is joint related, also check out the health and safety policy specifically moving and handling. Look for how much training they say the provide, how much you actually have and national expections that CQC have for managers along with the HSE law http://www.hse.gov.uk/healthservices/moving-handling.htm this episode exacerbated really severely for you whilst at work. If I was you (coming from a care coordinator and carer) I would keep a diary and a file of bumph related to your knee, episodes, treatment, conversations with managers, training lapses and anything else that you could use should you be faced with dismissal or even supervisor grief. Hope to help daz.

Daz you've brought home that I should be thinking about a pair of crutches as a back up given that I do walk a fair way for DD's schooling. I could get the bus but then what? A pair of crutches would get me able enough to get myself to school, the docs, the chemist or to hospital for xray should I get so much as a sprained ankle or worse. I will add it to the prep list for sure.

I feel a bit bad taking a positive out of your strife :cool: chuffed that your colleagues brought you a frame though... carer's through and through ;)
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyone receive this from Barclays? Sounds suspiciously like Bank Holidays, doesn't it?

2017_05_new_pv_email_01.jpg
    2017_08_rb_console_SRP_outage_hero.jpg We're carrying out work to align with new banking legislation to help strengthen the UK financial system – please read if you frequently use our core banking services

Dear Mr JK0

We're writing to let you know that we'll be carrying out work on our systems, during which time our core services (Online Banking, Telephone Banking and our Mobile Banking app) will be unavailable. This work is required to prepare us for one of the reforms brought in by the UK government, called ring-fencing, which aims to strengthen the UK financial system. You can find out more details about these reforms below. The work will take place during one weekend each month, for five months (with the exception of December). They will start at 23:30 on a Saturday and typically complete around 15:30 Sunday afternoon. We'll let you know the exact dates nearer the time through our app, online banking, or via SMS or email. The next time we carry out work where our core services will be unavailable will be the weekend from 23:30 on Saturday 19 August until 15:30 on Sunday 20 August. We know this may cause disruption and we're sorry for any inconvenience. Which services will be unavailable? During the periods where we'll be carrying out work on our systems, some core services will be affected. However, we'll always let you know about these periods in advance so you can organise your banking.
    Services which will be affected: • Online Banking • Mobile Banking app • Telephone Banking • Pingit • Transferring money into / out of your account. You can still continue to use the following services: • Card payments (as long as you have enough funds in your account prior to the outage starting) • Cash machines – you can still withdraw cash and check your balance. Barclaycard services are not affected. Please remember • If you need to transfer money into your account to use during our system outage, please ensure you do so before 23:30 on Saturday 19 August • Any money that's transferred or paid into your account between 23:30 on Saturday to 15:30 Sunday will be added to your account as soon as possible after our work is finished. What's UK ring-fencing and why are we making changes? Ring-fencing of day to day banking services is one of the reforms brought in by the UK government to strengthen our financial system following the financial crisis that began in 2008. Ring-fencing legislation requires each of the larger UK high street banks, including Barclays, to separate certain retail and smaller corporate banking activity and products, from more complex activity. In order to ring-fence our retail and business banking services, we need to make changes to our banking systems. These additional and longer outage periods are required to enable us to make those changes. If you want to find out more about ring-fencing, please search for 'Barclays ring-fencing' in your web browser. How will we keep you updated? Before our outage starts, we'll always update you in the following ways: • Service Status page – we'll always update this page before and during our system outage, you can find it by searching 'Barclays service status' in your web browser • Via Twitter - follow @BarclaysUKHelp, we'll always tweet during the week leading up to the outage period • Via SMS, email, online banking and mobile banking notifications. We're always happy to hear from our customers so should you have any questions, please call us on 0333 202 7582*. Your Barclays Team
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perfectly normal time to make those kind of changes jK0. They have to be done, and bank hol sunday is generally the best time to do it. They start late at night and hope to be done by morning but generally leave longer in the window in case of problems.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that jk0! DS banks with them and I know he had a letter from them recently, so i must remind him to actually open and read it if he hasn't already.
  • Shropshirelass
    Options
    Hope you are feeling better Daz, knee pain can be very bad, and stop you getting a good night's sleep as well as mobility problems. Then there are unpleasant side effects to pain relief meds too for which DH found fruit the best solution, tinned, dried and or fresh. And don't try lifting anything heavier than a pillow.
    Do hope things are not too bad.
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yes i do moving and handling every 2 years ....but they have put the onus on us to remind management when we are due again. Personally the management have been ok up to now but then again im rarely on the sick , ive used my annual leave to recuperate , which i must admit while still under tupe agreement is still very generous , however the sickness conditions moving between the stages has become a lot stricter....i.e it used to be that any 3 abscences within a 3 month period would move you up a stage.... now it is within a 12 month period....we do have back to work interviews and management ask if they can help to solve it. if i have any more time off before next april . i will hit stage one , so if this knee keeps getting worse my job is at risk....considering going private to ascertain what is wrong with it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure