What kind of things do you find your children pestering you for?

Options
2»

Comments

• oystercatcher
    Options
    I don't remember much pestering. I did as I had when I was a child. They all had regular pocket money to spend on their own things and that was that as far as extras went so they didn't bother asking.

When they were old enough we opened bank accounts and I paid pocket money by standing order and they learned how to use the bank and budget. Sweets or a computer game ? Well lets just say they didn't have many fillings :rotfl:

My boys weren't interested in clothes but when I was a teen of course I wanted new clothes and so I was given a monthly clothing allowance which really helped me learn to budget. A friend's mother assumed I would spend it all and then be asking for money for new school plimsoles etc but I explained to her about keeping money back for things like that !

I think a huge amount of pestering is down to family attitudes, if parents are careful with money and 'no means no', then children won't pester , maybe ask politely now and again. If parents give in to pestering once then it will always be worth the kids trying again and again ....
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mine don’t really pester. They get sweets regularly, but don’t always eat them. I don’t believe in restriction in that respect because that just makes them want more. Mine know they’re allowed them pretty regularly, so they’re not actually too bothered.

They both have screen time, but again, that’s just as and when, after they’ve done homework, read etc. Both usually would rather play outside.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a look on Freecycle for Lego. I've had one lot of Duplo and two lots of Lego in the past year. They needed a good wash, but it's worth it.

She's got boxes full of odd bricks - it's the sets she wants. Emma's Art Cafe arrived Friday :o She spends ages watching YouTube videos of a mad Aussie woman building Lego sets. She could build sets marked as age 16+ when she was 5 .... she's obsessed with the stuff.
  • nomorekids
    Options
    Dance classes, and dance related stuff such as new dance tights and leotards and pointe shoes.

Drives me bonkers that she dances most days of the week and as soon as there is day off, she's begging to attend dance classes in London and wants money for fare and class :shocked:

The other one is no better with music score :shocked:

Cant be rich and have kids :rotfl:
    If you want to be rich, never, ever have kids ;)
  • owen_money
    Options
    Money!!!!! 'Dad can I just borrow £100 till payday', which means 'Dad can I have a hundred quid, which you'll never see again'!
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Any more tips on this?
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nomorekids: have a look on Trash Nothing/ Freegle/ Freecycle for sheet music and scores. I've picked up some fascinating stuff, and a lot of random things, too.
    It's worth asking choirs and singing groups if they have extra or old copies. I have several folders full of past performance photocopied scores, some of which I'll probably never use again.
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Any more tips on this?

Proper ones? Or more silly ones
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,004 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine are that much older now, so the requests change. Latest one is to borrow suitcases and help with dentist bills!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure