What kind of things do you find your children pestering you for?

Options
Money_Advice_Service
Money_Advice_Service Posts: 27 Organisation Representative
First Anniversary
edited 12 November 2018 at 4:01PM in Marriage, relationships & families
How do you deal with it? Any tips?

This thread is part of a Hub post aimed at helping people new to personal finance start a conversation on it. It’s aimed at newbies, so please be patient with anyone posting on here.

We’re verified representatives of the Money Advice Service, working with MoneySavingExpert on a Hub and series of posts as part of Talk Money Week to encourage people new to personal finance to discuss money. If you have any questions please ask below or get in touch with a member of the Forum Team.

We'd love it if you got involved with our other #TalkMoney week conversations we've started. Check out our hub with all the links - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5921799
Verified Company
I am a verified representative of Money Advice Service. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.

Comments

• pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,966 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sweets and screen time.
    Sweets are only allowed at the weekend,
    Screen time is only allowed in the evening after earning a certain amount of time from doing chores / homework etc.
    There are no exceptions so pestering does nothing for them, and in fact will hinder their chances of getting the things they want when they are allowed.
  • mikeeboy
    mikeeboy Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fortnite VBucks
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    Drugs but I just let them know it's ok cause we can share the syringes
    Eugh,
    I thought all the school kids had gone back to school now.:(
    Reported.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mikeeboy wrote: »
    Fortnite VBucks

Yes mine too. I feel for him but I can't think of anything worse to spend money on.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Robux - not going to happen

Lego - she has to pay for it out of her pocket/ birthday/ Xmas money. We look in the Lego shop and then check the prices online to find out where it's cheapest. She's only eight but she's definitely her mother's daughter when looking for a bargain :T
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,073 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Data (for their mobiles)
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Options
    Lifts. Often at short notice, with the youngest.

It improved once he started sixth form and bought a bike, it was almost a point of pride not to ask for a lift for a while after that. Unless it was to a cricket match, when he didn't fancy taking all his kit on his bike.

He learned that asking at a week's notice got better results than asking at a day's notice, and asking at an hour's notice would often get a 'do you see the car out there?' response, because DH and I shared a car and both of us had very hectic lives!

Anyway, when he did give a sensible amount of notice, he also learned that my first response would be "have you ... done the washing up / put your clothes away / tidied your bedroom / done your homework ..." so he would do whatever he thought I'd ask about before asking. :rotfl:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    When they were little (a long time ago now) sweets after school was my main problem. And if I'd had a hard day, I would give in. But that's not how I wanted it to be, so in the end I said no to sweets except on a Friday afternoon. In fact, I made a bit of a joke about it, saying they HAD to have sweets on a Friday, whether they wanted them or not.

I was a childminder at the time, so I came to an arrangement with the parents that I would charge them up to a maximum of 50p for sweets (it was a long time ago, but I childminded a lot of kids - didn't want to spend all my profit!!). We used to form our own queue in the sweet shop. One boy asked me very nicely if, instead of buying sweets, he could get football stickers instead. Well, they were about the same price, and better of his teeth, so we were both happy!!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Options
    Surely it depends on the age of the child.

Once upon a time it would be packets of Moshi Monsters or Littlest pet shop toys.

Nowadays it's clothes or make up, especially eye brow stuff, acrylic nails, food when they're out.

From the age that they've understood money though, they've been quite happy to spend 'my' money, giving them the cash and tell them you're not providing anymore and suddenly they think far more about the price of stuff.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Robux - not going to happen

Lego - she has to pay for it out of her pocket/ birthday/ Xmas money. We look in the Lego shop and then check the prices online to find out where it's cheapest. She's only eight but she's definitely her mother's daughter when looking for a bargain :T

Have a look on Freecycle for Lego. I've had one lot of Duplo and two lots of Lego in the past year. They needed a good wash, but it's worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure