Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• DennisTenus
    Options
    I've been with them for a few months now and have had no major problems. The worst I could throw at them so far is that monthly statements are have not always been within 5-days of the statement date. With DDs this is not a major problem however.

Their customer service is a bit slow and fairly basic but I've had no problems on that score so far. Some report delays in repaying credit balances when transferring at the end of a contract. Other reports suggest they block switches if you are in any debt at all.

I'd say this supplier is ok for those who keep track of their energy usage and stay in credit. When I switched to them I saved quite a lot compared with other suppliers and was aware of the downside risk. I'm content with my choice.

Thanks.... do you get a portal to login with and submit meter reading and download bills whenever you want? does that side of it work ok?

Interesting.... on MSE credit club it gives me them as top but with completely different standing rates and unit rates compared to going direct. They aren't just a little bit different either. Direct standing rate is 16.8p via MSE it's 21p!

Also whats the "Tariff Comparison Rate" that's shown when I go direct?
  • bri160356
    bri160356 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Avro Energy allow existing customer to renew their tariff automatically ‘online’ but only if it is within 6 weeks of the renewal date;…which is fair enough.

However, if you are more than 6 weeks from renewal and you merely wish to ‘change tariff’ (which is what I wanted to do) then existing customers cannot do this online;…in fact, existing customers can’t even get a quote online. Existing customers must use email, phone or post to ask for the pertinent information.

As such, I’ve lost interest in Avro and signed up with the brand new company Yorkshire Energy;…it’s a bit cheaper than Avro and I’ll enjoy being a trailblazer! ...hopefully anyway,...or I may crash and burn.

We'll see. :D
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 August 2018 at 7:42PM
    Options
    Thanks.... do you get a portal to login with and submit meter reading and download bills whenever you want? does that side of it work ok?

Interesting.... on MSE credit club it gives me them as top but with completely different standing rates and unit rates compared to going direct. They aren't just a little bit different either. Direct standing rate is 16.8p via MSE it's 21p!

Also whats the "Tariff Comparison Rate" that's shown when I go direct?
    Yes there is a portal and I receive a reminder email each month to submit meter readings by the statement date.

When I signed up, the MSE quote was about £50pa more expensive than that by going direct. It looks as though Avro add about £50pa to their MSE quote to cover the commission paid to comparison sites. The tariff I signed up to has never appeared on MSE's CEC.

Edit
    The TCR is a single figure which you can use to compare tariff prices on comparison sites. Broadly, it's the average cost of a unit for a typical medium user.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bri160356 wrote: »
    Avro Energy allow existing customer to renew their tariff automatically ‘online’ but only if it is within 6 weeks of the renewal date;…which is fair enough.

However, if you are more than 6 weeks from renewal and you merely wish to ‘change tariff’ (which is what I wanted to do) then existing customers cannot do this online;…in fact, existing customers can’t even get a quote online. Existing customers must use email, phone or post to ask for the pertinent information.

As such, I’ve lost interest in Avro and signed up with the brand new company Yorkshire Energy;…it’s a bit cheaper than Avro and I’ll enjoy being a trailblazer! ...hopefully anyway,...or I may crash and burn.

We'll see. :D
    I changed tariff with Avro 3 times while I was with them, as you say, can't do it on their website, but I just emailed and within a couple of days they switched me over, very easy. I thought they were good apart from chasing the refund when I left, but got it back ok.
  • beardiedog
    beardiedog Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They were in my top 3 possible switches from Octopus(Iresa) but they've priced themselves out of the market for me in the last few days.
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    beardiedog wrote: »
    They were in my top 3 possible switches from Octopus(Iresa) but they've priced themselves out of the market for me in the last few days.

What are your top three now - I'm looking for a fixed deal with no exit fee. Eversmart look cheap but are they another IRESA?

USIO are cheap too but you have to agree to have a smart meter installed - no chance until a SMETS2 are widely available.
  • Sapphire
    Sapphire Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    bri160356 wrote: »
    If you don’t mind me asking which tariff are you on at the moment and which renewal tariff have Avro offered you?

My present tariff ‘Simple&Supreme’ ends on 9th October and a move to ‘Simple&Summertime’ will mean a hefty 11.7% increase for me;…as it stands there are 2 cheaper alternative companies/tariffs out there at the moment but unfortunately both still mean a substantial price increase.

I’ve no doubt Avro will introduce their new Simple&DaylightRobbery tariff at some point soon so I may need to jump-ship before my present deal ends. :(

I'm on 'Simple & Summertime' from September. The payments have increased by £3 per month.

I was quite satisfied with Avro during the last year, but my trust in them has gone down since them. This is mainly due to their poor customer service after I received a renewal email from them (being kept hanging on the phone for more than 15 minutes, the operative not being able to help once I was finally put through to someone, she promising someone would ring me back on that day and they never did, the renewal button not working and the price changing for renewal every time I looked at the relevant page, them not answering emails despite advising me to email them in the renewal email, and so on). I never had such problems with my current tariff, and even phoned Avro a couple of times this past year with no such issues.

I've renewed my tariff with them and will have to see how it goes. I don't want a repetition of the above problems in future. They need to improve their customer relations if they want to retain customers and attract new ones.
  • beardiedog
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    What are your top three now - I'm looking for a fixed deal with no exit fee. Eversmart look cheap but are they another IRESA?

USIO are cheap too but you have to agree to have a smart meter installed - no chance until a SMETS2 are widely available.

Top two now, Usio and Bulb. It's looking like Bulb even though it's variable. Usio are out because I don't want a smart meter installing as I'm hoping to move in the next few months or so.

Third choices are £70 more expensive even on fixed tariffs, still cheaper than Octopus though.
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 August 2018 at 10:58AM
    Options
    beardiedog wrote: »
    Top two now, Usio and Bulb. It's looking like Bulb even though it's variable. Usio are out because I don't want a smart meter installing as I'm hoping to move in the next few months or so.

Third choices are £70 more expensive even on fixed tariffs, still cheaper than Octopus though.

Just looked at Bulb prices. For my usage, they are quite pricey and they, as you say, only offer a variable rate. They are only around £10 cheaper per year than the current Octopus fixed deal. Edit: Sorry, just spotted the £30 dual fuel discount - that makes a difference to my figure above. Should be £41 cheaper than Octopus. Still, I want a fixed deal, not variable.

So my current choice is Eversmart fixed - really cheap (£699 per year for me - the same as my IRESA deal before they went bust), or bite the bullet and move onto the Octopus fixed deal (£815 per year) for added security.

I never had a problem with IRESA (over 18 months) so I'm tempted to take a chance with Eversmart.
  • DennisTenus
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »

What's SMETS2 ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure