PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Removals companies

Options
Our house sale and purchase are currently underway with searches in progress at the moment from both parties.
Starting to prepare for moving day in terms of researching removals companies and costs vs hiring a van and doing it ourselves.
As I’ve never moved before and I’ve never needed a removals service, I was wondering what average prices to expect are??

It’s a 2 bed house, not a huge amount of furniture really. We will box everything up ourselves but would be hoping to bring a company in to help with the lifting and moving of our larger goods.

Aware that price will vary on location etc, but just wondering on a very rough average of cost to expect before my quotes start coming in?

Thank you 👍🏼

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you value your sanity at all then pay a company to do everything for you :)
  • tomhudson21
    Options
    I recently did a similar move. It of course depends on how FAR you're moving, but I moved around 30 minutes away.

I got in touch with a man with a van from Gumtree. He helped me pack up all furniture and boxes into his van, then delivered and helped us unpack too.

Cost me £130. I was quite pleased with that. I'm from the North if that effects things too.
  • Ames1983
    Ames1983 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I should have said. I live in Cheshire so hopefully if their are regional variations should be slightly cheaper than south east etc!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently did a similar move. It of course depends on how FAR you're moving, but I moved around 30 minutes away.

I got in touch with a man with a van from Gumtree. He helped me pack up all furniture and boxes into his van, then delivered and helped us unpack too.

Cost me £130. I was quite pleased with that. I'm from the North if that effects things too.
    Yes - distance is relevant.
    But so is quantity!
    And time.

I'd avoid gumtree.Might be cheaper but there'll be no insurance or come-back if things go wrong.

If going down the man/van route, get quotes via https://www.anyvan.com/

Look beyond price at feedback, insurance etc

If this is a houseful of stuff (not just a bedsit /similar) look at professional removal companies. Costlier but worth it.
  • Ames1983
    Ames1983 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    PS: moving 2 miles away
  • aries_163
    Options
    Go for a removals company! Worth their weight in gold! We moved a 2 bed flat to a 3 bed bungalow about 4 miles away and so glad I used a professional company. You’ll have more to move than you realise. I don’t like clutter and definitely not a hoarder but the amount of boxes was much more than I’d imagined.

We boxed everything up in advance and disassembled any items. But removal men loaded and unloaded everything. What with last minute hoovering / cleaning upon moving out, going to get the new keys, the excitement of opening up the new house, etc, I cannot imagine having had to load and unload a van ourselves.
    My OH wasn’t keen on removals men at first due to extra cost but I over ruled him (! Haha!) and afterwards he admitted that he had been wrong! Would have added so much more stress into the day.
  • tomhudson21
    Options
    I'm interested at what a professional removal would have cost. It cost me £130, what did you guys pay?

End of the day, he arrived at 9.00 and we were fully moved by 11.30. I had sore arms, and yes there was a risk of breakage and I guess theft too, but fortunately there were no issues. Really we only had three or four items really worth anything mind - if you're moving expensive furniture and half of John Lewis then maybe something with better insurance would be advisable!
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    edited 23 January 2019 at 10:12PM
    Options
    Just ring round at least 3 firms and ask them to come and quote.
    Ask them lots of questions so you get a feel for them. When I last moved I didn't go with the cheapest quote because I didn't feel I could trust them.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Distance is a factor, but not the main factor. For the removal men, that's the easy bit!! In your case, they're not going to have any break at all really between loading the van and unloading it at the other end.

If you possibly can, get them to do the packing. On a move that filled a full-size removal van and a half-size one, they charged us just £150 for the packing. 5 guys arrived first thing in the morning and moved through the house like a plague of locusts - it was all packed and ready to go by lunchtime. They came back the next day and packed the vans. The other huge advantage of getting them to pack is that you have better insurance cover - if you pack it yourself then you have to prove they were negligent if anything gets broken, but if they pack it the insurance will cover it without you having to prove it was their fault. And, because they know what they're doing, things are far less likely to get broken in the first place.

As a previous poster has said, get 3 firms to quote - maybe one of the big ones, a local one, and a man-with-a-van (but beware the man-with-a-van might not have much in the way of insurance). And if you do it yourself, don't underestimate just what difficult heavy work it is - factor in at least two session with the physio afterwards...
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Am with a couple of others on here - it is worth EVERY PENNY to get someone to do the move for you.

I always pay for them to pack for me too now. Would ALWAYS get professional movers in. Have done it myself before and it's been so stressful!

Do you have white goods to move too? Beds? Do they need dismantling? Don't underestimate how hard it is to even get one mattress out, let alone more. Have you even tried carrying one microwave from the front door to the kitchen - imagine doing that 50 times to a van out the front. Arghhhh. Never again!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure