We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    We have been offered an allotment, however it's not in a good way, it's full of weeds and clumps of clay mounds.
    Any tips of how we can get it useable would be very much appreciated.

I suggest you first look at whether there is anything worth keeping (fruit bushes, for example) - assuming it is a wasteland I personally would use a weedkiller such as SBK stump killer that has glyphosate in it as a kickstart. It is obviously not organic but does not leave a soil deposit. You can then cover the soil with a weed suppressing membrane that will help to warm it up. Then you have a time window to prepare seeds and order plants, design your layout and so on. Buy a soil testing kit and find out what soil you have (clay is hard to work with but usually nutritious for plants). I would urge you not to rotovate at this stage, you could end up with lots of tiny roots propagating (ground elder, bindweed and couch grass are my personal problems)

If your library has one, I recommend borrowing (or you could buy) "Practical Allotment Gardening" by Caroline Foley - I have a copy and keep coming back to it. Think about access (raised areas), paths, composting (burning?), storage, light and what your neighbours are doing.

If you want to break up clay clods (not mounds) then potatoes are a good crop and will "clean" the earth, leaving a much nicer texture after you have grown them. Beans will fix nitrogen into the soil. Mixing clay with grit, sand and leaf-mould will help to improve it and depending on you mound size you could start some compost bins off (pallets are our choice), mixing layers to retrieve later.

I will stop... How exciting for you and the perfect time of year to start!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Finally sowed my first batch of tomatoes 12x Ailsa Craig. Last years (from Suttons) germinated very poorly, so this time I double sowed one from Suttons and one from DT Brown in each pot

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    We have been offered an allotment, however it's not in a good way, it's full of weeds and clumps of clay mounds.
    Any tips of how we can get it useable would be very much appreciated.

I use Mypex membrane and whilst expensive means you can cover part of the plot whilst the weeds die down, and concentrate on the rest a little at a time.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I put my brave pants on and pruned one gooseberry and moved another following excellent advice on here. I also found diagrams on google images of exactly where to snip. It'd probably survive even if I made some mistakes but I really want to succeed as a gardener this year.

Also good advice from Suffolklass on the clay soil and mixing in sand/leaf mulch. I have clay soil and it been improved no end by potato growing to help break it up and sand will be my next mixer.

Took me almost two hours to dig out the mint on Sunday but it was so beautiful in the garden sunshine that I didn't mind at all. I will go back and dig over again and then keep my eye on it as its devilish stuff to get rid of. Pots only!

My seeds arrived yesterday and I'm off to get good potting compost today and start my potatoes. Very excited. :)

I love being on this thread and chatting to one and all about our plots and plans for them. I wish I could do a tour of all your little kingdoms and see what you're all up to. :)
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Wouldnt it be great if we were all on the same allotment site? :D

The site where my plot is.....is mainly older men. A few are very friendly but others keep themselves to themselves.

I must admit when I first got a plot over ten years ago......I felt intimidated by all these "experts" who would give me lots of advice, some of which was conflicting.

I quickly learnt to listen to the advice........go away and do my own research and then do what I thought was best for me and my plot. :rotfl:

I've made mistakes along the way but thats part of the fun. Trial and error and even from one year to the next, some things work, some dont. C'est la Vie ;)
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Slowdown wrote: »
    Well, I put my brave pants on and pruned one gooseberry and moved another following excellent advice on here. I also found diagrams on google images of exactly where to snip. It'd probably survive even if I made some mistakes but I really want to succeed as a gardener this year.
    I'm only half here at the moment, but I have to pipe up, and say congratulations! Moving a fruit bush is downright impressive :)

I love being on this thread and chatting to one and all about our plots and plans for them. I wish I could do a tour of all your little kingdoms and see what you're all up to. :)
    Thats a great idea :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ooh yes, I am very up for the virtual chat over the fence between our various plots. I love learning new stuff and picking up on the tips of others. My plot is looking wretched, it is just a bit too cold and wet for me this week. I have at least dug and cleaned a few leeks. I am going to use them in a past dish instead of the pasta!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    [QUOTE=Slowdown;75424361

My seeds arrived yesterday and I'm off to get good potting compost today and start my potatoes. Very excited. :)

I love being on this thread and chatting to one and all about our plots and plans for them. I wish I could do a tour of all your little kingdoms and see what you're all up to. :)[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen any new season compost in store yet. Where did you get yours please? I am hoping to get some Clover to start seeds off this year, depending on cost of course. I too am excited to get the seeds started but my dining room will end up looking like Kew Gardens until such times as the greenhouse is warm enough - months away!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Slowdown
    Options
    Living proof - I got some compost from a garden centre that is local to me.

Today I did battle with the leaf compost in the garden. The structure into which I put the leaves to rot down was looking like a Kansas style tornado had passed over it so I used some bits from the mystery pile behind the shed to fashion a new one. Took a while but at least the leaves are actually staying put now. Also sowed some seeds indoors for Peas, leeks and tomatoes that say they can be sown now. I'm all a bit unsure about it as I usually buy plants but I'm going to have a go. My FIL who was a fabulous gardener used to do this. I wish he was still alive so I could pick his brains.

It's pouring here now so I'm glad I tackled the leaves today rather than leave it for tomorrow (s'cuse the pun).

Any advice welcome on when to sow seeds :)
  • Slowdown
    Options
    Hmmm. Maybe should have waited another fortnight before sowing the tomato seeds. The RHS says mid-late Feb. I think I got a bit over excited. I'm doing everything in stages though so have plenty more seeds for march and April. I'll see how they go. They won't be going directly outside though but in a poly greenhouse so they might be ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure