PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm’s Thread 2018

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have finished reading Empress Orchid by Anchee Min and I enjoyed the exploration into a bygone era of China's history. It is centred around the life of the last Empress of China. It is a truly fascinating account of her life in the form of a novel. I would give this book 9/10
    I missed this post until just now.

I have this one on my shelf too, will move it up the priority list now it comes recommended. The books I've read by Chinese authors have been so compelling, I can't say storytelling is a national trait because it's only Amy Tan and the stuff that's been good enough to translate into English that I've read.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Well I did read The Party by Julie Cohen and I did enjoy it though I'm not sure it's a must read though.

Started reading last night 'This is going to hurt' by Adam Kay detailing his years as a junior doctor. I was only going to read for a short while but the easy reading of the diary format meant I read for a lot longer than I meant to - so am tired today!

The little I have read makes you wonder why anyone would want to become a doctor and how unrealistic dramas such as Holby City are with junior doctors bright eyed and busy tailed all the time
  • timehastoldme
    timehastoldme Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Finished Isaac Asimov Foundation Trilogy yesterday, so well written, really quick to get through. The empire collapses and the new foundation is setting the way forward against an extended future of barbarianism. The books follow how the Foundation deals with the crises that arise, from local disputes to an unexpected Mutant, to the second Foundation at the other end of the galaxy. I've bought the extension books second hand but am going to break for a genre change before I start wearing space jumpsuits.

Am behind in my reading challenge (34/104) but it's coming up to the end of term, the planning pressure for teaching and tutoring has lifted and the summer will be spent hiding in the shade with a book, so am hopeful will catch up.
  • timehastoldme
    timehastoldme Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

Nearly midsummer, and seems I'm finally back on track to meet my target of 60 books this year. The last few books I have read I have made a conscious effort to sit down and read without distraction, rather than getting 2/3 of the way through and then picking up another (still plenty of those to finish!). This weekend I was accused of being promiscuous with books :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I've had a few like that this year, but I'm not sure I'll go back. Tried reading Shardik by Richard Adams, and it was beautifully written, and a great story but so loooooong I just couldn't hold my interest, had to abandon a couple of hundred pages in. Also the Man in the High Castle, I've read it before but couldn't slog through it this time. Will maybe try again in the winter, might be a seasonal thing.
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Book 16:

51KxUug-pUL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

8//10. I enjoyed this and learned a lot about liberal Judaism at the same time, much of which is very good sense - although I realise not all rabbis are the same! An entertaining collection of well-written vignettes. Amazon reviews are mixed and if I had looked at them rather than making the selection in a bricks and mortar library I would have missed out.

I'm making good use of the long summer evenings and sitting in the conservatory to read as long as possible during natural light. Because as soon as the lights go on, the mozzies descend :eek:

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • timehastoldme
    Options
    Got a book out of the library on impulse, the man on the balcony - Per Wahlöö and Maj Sjöwall.. turned out to be the third in a series but still reads well as a standalone. Sweden in the sixties, and little girls are being murdered. The origin of scandi crime noir, and is so stark, it's really good. Was only going to read one but enjoyed this more than expected. I like crime, love Rankin and Nesbo, but there's only so much mileage out of jaded older male detective with a shockingly bad personal life you can get sometimes. This wasn't that. Is listed as a Martin Beck novel, but it's not like the detective is the story, he's a cog in a bigger machine and a useful set of eyes to witness it. The writing is minimalistic which keeps it feeling stark and gives the story space to breathe a little. If you like a crime, would definitely recommend.
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Book 17:

AWXVK.jpg

7/10. This is not a work of a literary genius - as the author is at pains to point out from the outset - but is an entertaining read. I also liked the way the author interwove stories from his own dysfunctional upbringing into the book, which shows that it is possible to emerge a good and kind person if you are so inclined. If I have one criticism its that it doesn't really convey just how tough and stressful the role is, even the disciplinary is described in a factual matter without bitterness.

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just finished Sisters by Claire Douglas.

Goodness me, that was a good read. Lots of psychological suspense with a not obvious ending. Kept me guessing right up to the last chapter which is always a good thing, I hate it when books give too much away in the early chapters so that you could almost write the story yourself.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 May 2018 at 10:29PM
    Options
    Alphabet challenge is moving along nicely again.

42371866491_27e35c2fbe_m.jpgM by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    "Mistress of Justice" is a pre-Lincoln Rhyme book which he reworked. It has a feisty heroine. The plot moves at a cracking pace, with plenty of twists and turns. Most enjoyable.

40563893330_3803cbf8b7_m.jpgN by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    "Never Somewhere Else" is the first of Alex Gray's Detective Lorimer books. Another pacy puzzler, well worth reading.

I'm counting Philippa Gregory's "The Other Queen" as my book for 'O' as I was still reading it when the year started.

My current read is "Perfect Prey" by Helen Fields. As it's a book I'd been bequeathed, I did not realise that it is book 2 of a series, but that isn't getting in the way of a good story. It certainly drew me in quickly, so I think it'll be another I finish soon.
    42371866601_aa2b5e5daf_m.jpgP by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr

May has been a productive month for reading, with 5 books completed. It's a very long time since I achieved such a tally. Will I make it 6, I wonder?
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Syman: What did you think of the B.A. Paris book? I've just finished "Behind Closed Doors" and was thinking of getting "Bring Me Back".

I've just ordered all three from the library, I've a couple of long business trips coming up, hopefully they'll be here in time.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure