PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm’s Thread 2018

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I received my copy of the new Syd Moore book yesterday. It was a surprise as I forgot I pre-ordered it.

That will be my 25th book this year.:T
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Currently reading He said She said & enjoying it
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    35376281.jpg

just finished this.
    Thought i had sussed it out but was wrong!

4.5 stars well worth a read
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • timehastoldme
    timehastoldme Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sputnik Sweetheart- Murakami big Murakami fan, love the minimalistic almost beat prose coupled with the slightest surrealism. Saw a Murakami bingo once of things you could expect to find in a book, and it's true (cats, simple meals, horrible sex scenes), but still love them.

Harbour- John Ajvide Lindqvist I liked let the right one in, and I liked this one too. A little girl goes missing from an island, and she's not the first one. This was long, some weird goings on, some late character introductions to explain plot, but was pacy and a nice solid horror book read.

Childhood's end - Arthur C Clarke This was ace. An alien species arrives at Earth and fixes all the strife so the planet becomes a utopia. Of course people are suspicious, especially as the overlords stay hidden. What are they like? What is their main purpose! The reveals surprise everyone.

I Robot- Asimov Classic sci if and obviously exceptional. Novel presented as short stories around the three laws of robotics. Adored.

Consider her ways and others- John Wyndham solid book of short stories, which I'm convinced I've read before.

Stowaway to mars- John Wyndham liked this, but not as much as the cosy catastrophe Wyndham. A team are racing to be the first to mars, when they set off they discover a female stowaway. She has her own good reasons for doing it. Cripes though most of the men in this are absolute jerks.

Just ordered a little pile of books from eBay, more John Christopher, John Brunner stand on Zanzibar and Nevil Shute A town like Alice. Currently reading another John Wyndham - The Outward Urge. Started then stopped an Ursula Le Guin book Always Coming Home, beautiful writing but my mental health means that the jumping around is too jarring. Will come back to it when things smooth over.
  • timehastoldme
    timehastoldme Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm reading too many John's.
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have finished reading Empress Orchid by Anchee Min and I enjoyed the exploration into a bygone era of China's history. It is centred around the life of the last Empress of China. It is a truly fascinating account of her life in the form of a novel. I would give this book 9/10
  • turtlemonkey
    turtlemonkey Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Childhood's end - Arthur C Clarke This was ace. An alien species arrives at Earth and fixes all the strife so the planet becomes a utopia. Of course people are suspicious, especially as the overlords stay hidden. What are they like? What is their main purpose! The reveals surprise everyone.

Thank you - have added this to my wish list! :)
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At last I have finished "J", by Howard Jacobson. It made me want to read it until the end, but sometimes it felt like I was reading the words but not the book, if you see what I mean. i'm still not sure that I understand it. :(

Found a 'K' sitting in the pile on my bedside cabinet!
    28122508348_6b0b94779a.jpgK by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr

Out of season reading, bit of 'fluff', nice and quick. Not as good as other Agatha Raisin stories.

Next up I have

28122508508_1bf86285d9_m.jpgL by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr

Not a book I'd usually choose, a hand-me-down from a friend - and the only 'L' on the shelves. (I've still not ventured to the loft stash!)
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Syman wrote: »
    35376281.jpg

just finished this.
    Thought i had sussed it out but was wrong!

4.5 stars well worth a read

Have you read her other ones?

I enjoyed them so am looking forward to listening to it.

I've also just finished (thanks to a sunny bank holiday!) Together by Julie Cohen which I enjoyed and was in a different format to the norm but I think added to it's appeal.

Not sure what I'll read next (I have a fair few from the library!) ...though The Party by Elizabeth day is a strong contender
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Book 11:

cvr9780743250016_9780743250016_lg.jpg

8/10 - a short one, but a good one! Great to be able to recap simple lessons in leadership.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure