Busy Mee's Last Leg

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Enjoy the meal.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At least you were doing well with your ebay purchases!

Slow cookers are brilliant for meat joints, I love them.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oh yes, chicken and pork I especially do in my slow cooker (or in a dutch oven, in the range, when that is on, in the warming oven) - I use a jelly stock thing and level water to that level then just bung in the chicken and put it on for the working day (or 24 hours in the oven) - it goes so much further and the flavour is locked in. There used to be a rubber chicken thread on here and that was the basis. Roast, curry, pie and soup over here...
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Well the weather has brightened up again and it is a beautiful sunny day here. I was beginning to think I was going to have to get my boots out again :)

Thanks for popping in Beanie and Suffolk Lass. Lovely to see you "back" Michelle and AndersonDavis I think you wandered into the wrong thread. But you are very welcome :rotfl:

So I have spent the morning updating our spending diary (gulp !) Removing the bedroom refurbishment costs we have spent a whopping £1250.46 and no excuses this month...no parental emergencies or five week month. We just spent it :o

Our groceries came in at £285 this month - £71.00 per week for three adults, but does include some bulk buys. I am reasonably happy with my grocery spending, it feels that we are achieving a reasonable level of frugalism ( is that even a word ?) that is acceptable to us ( and more importantly Mr Mee) I think I could get it lower but that is likely to take more time (trailing around looking for YS items) and would probably upset Mr Mee;) I think I am going to set our budget to £70 a week for groceries.

Our petrol costs came in at £265, and this included some work trips for which we can claim expenses back. We try and cut costs by using the smaller car at weekends and I have been trying to encourage Mr Mee, who has the longer commute, to work from home at least one day a week. I think I do however need to increase the petrol budget to £250 per month.

Household costs were better this month (if I take out the bedroom costs) and we spent just over £100.

Personal spending was (ahem) high and so was gift buying.....I seem to have broken the seal on internet shopping and I need to close it again firmly....very firmly. In my defence it has been DS and 3 Parents' Birthdays and a wedding this weekend. We will gloss over the clothes I bought for myself :rotfl:

Medical expenses were fine

Our entertainment costs were £222 for the month and this included a bulk buy of 12 bottles of wine bought in the Asda 25% off offer. Looking through the spends there was nothing regrettable, a bottle of wine (£22) shared with a colleague whilst in London, 2 reasonably priced Indian meals out with friends, a couple of lunches and our regular weekly breakfast out. Our budget of £200 a month seems reasonable and is affordable both now and in retirement.

The positives from this are that I am feeling a lot more confident about understanding our spending patterns. The good news is that quite a bit of this spend is discretionary and we could grind it down if we want/need to but it is affordable. When we retire I am hoping that some of these costs will reduce, hopefully we won't spend as much on petrol or paying people to do jobs we don't have time to do :D

I have just had a little wobble about sharing all of this. I hope no one finds it insensitive, I know we are incredibly fortunate to be in this position to afford our lifestyle and there are lots of people who aren't as fortunate as us. I am sharing though, because it is really helping me on our road to retirement and it might help others by giving a benchmark that you can compare to.
  • beanielou
    Options
    It is your diary & you can share as you you wish :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Your last paragraph could be me. I look at the circumstances of some others and I am sure they scoff at me having a diary. I do share your reticence but Beanie is right, it is your diary and I always think that I and others can grow our own approach and understanding with the input of these little insights from you and others.

By sharing approaches and little hacks we all benefit.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think your food costs sound good for three adults - we spend about £200/month (she's says, knowing from her newly minted spending diary ;) ) for two of us, largely veggie.

I'd echo what the other said - it's your diary, spend and report as you will - we all approach this from different angles/backgrounds/incomes, and if people don't like what they're reading, no one is forcing them to read it. :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Beanie, Suffolk Lass and MadVix thank you for the reassurance. The last thing I would want to do is be insensitive and I am acutely aware that there are lots of people living in proper poverty and it really saddens me.

Beanie actually gave me a well timed nudge a few weeks ago when she mentioned on someone else's thread how sad she was that the food bank where she helps out had run out of treats for kids and it was school holidays. It made me get off my backside and take a couple of carrier bags of stuff ( sensible and treats) down to our local food bank. They are advertising that they need tinned meat and toiletries now so I will drop off another donation this week.

This is what I love about this forum, in addition to the focus on saving money, it is the generosity and gratitude of the people on here. Everyone gladly gives of their advice and shares their journey and there are lots of people like Beanie who give up their time to help others.

There is also just generally a sense of gratitude that pervades this forum. Maybe it is because a MFW lifestyle gives you choices or maybe the fact that the people on here have such a well considered life, whether it be choosing how they spend their money, the impact on their environment, whether they eat meat or whatever. Although people have different backgrounds,, incomes and everyone has different priorities people are living a life where they have consciously considered their choices. Anyway I am not sure what it is but I like it :)
  • michelle09
    Options
    Thanks BM, good to be back and back on track!

I think people tend to get their backs up when people have a fortunate lifestyle and are completely insensitive about those that have less. Not as if you're Duncan Hunter claiming that $174k a year is not enough to live on but voted against raising the US minimum wage to $7.25/hour.

It's a lovely thing your doing for the food banks, it's just disgusting that they are needed by so many right now.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Busy mee~~You are such a star :D Thank you.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback