Busy Mee's Last Leg

Options

Comments

• katsoocam
    katsoocam Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Busy_Mee1 wrote: »
    I love the Lidl weekend savers too katsoocam and stock up with anything we use. It really helps with the budget. I could do with washing tablets and teabags being on offer again soon.
    Is muesli for us next weekend.
    Quite like that bacon, we have run out of cereal though so may get muesli too.
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    A quick check in following a lovely weekend away.

We finished work slightly early on Friday afternoon so that we could drive to some friends and arrive Friday night and then have the whole day Saturday and most of Sunday away. We had an Indian on Friday night and then a glorious day on the beach and a BBQ on Saturday. The weather was perfect despite rain being forecast.

It felt like we were away ages and it was a really good break. Consequently I feel like I have bags of energy today and have got loads done.

We are into the second week of a two week shop and so I need to be creative this week. I have hard boiled eggs for sandwich fillings this week and also been blackberry picking to make compote for my overnight oats as we have run out of soft fruit.....it doesn't get more MSE than that :D.

Unfortunately I have three loads of washing on the line and the heavens have just opened and it is bucketing down. I will not been using the tumble drier through, the last time I used it was April and I am determined not to put it on again until at least October :T

I am starting to clear out DS's old bedroom to turn it into a guest bedroom, but I need him to come and sort out all the flotsam that he didn't take when he left home. I think there will be lots of stuff off to the charity shop.
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Sounds like a lovely break and just what you needed!

Loving the blackberry compote - I must get out and get picking!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,418 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad that you had a lovely break :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glad you had a good break Busy, you'll have been ready for it!

Good luck with your creative cooking week - it's very satisfying to make something out of nothing, not to mention clearing out the cupboards and the freezer! Saves a fortune as well:money:
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • Busy_Mee1
    edited 21 August 2018 at 6:20AM
    Options
    Gosh these weekends go quickly !

I have had a very productive few days, in fact I have barely stopped but feel like I have made progress in a few areas.

We have had some rather alarming cracks appear in the wall of our house, that have caused me to worry a lot ( I have gold medals in worrying and this was keeping me awake at night).I had rather hoped Mr Mee would sort this out but unfortunately he is not one of life's problem solvers and I decided on Friday that I needed to get a grip and sort it out. I rang our builder, who happened to be between jobs.....he came within an hour, looked at it and said there was nothing to worry about. Just caused by the extremely dry weather and he got his "lad" to repoint it..........just like that :T . I was expecting him to charge me a couple of hundred quid but he wouldn't take any money and just said to get him a crate of beer :j Hopefully that will sort it out and I am feeling very relieved.

I was up and out early on Saturday morning with DD, and called to Lidl to pick up their weekend deals (washing tablets, grated cheese and kitchen roll ) It was perfect timing as we were on our last box of washing tablets. We then called to @sda to buy wine (6 bottles 25% off). We have been running down our stock of wine for ages now ( Mr Mee used to be in a wine club and bought more than we could drink) and we finally got to the end of it ( it has been tough people :cool:) Anyway I opened our last bottle of red on Friday :eek: so time to stock up again. I will charge this to our entertainment budget I think, rather than to groceries.

I then went shopping with DD and ended up being £25.00 better off :j ( a dress she returned that I had paid for on my card).

We were back home for 10.45 and I cleaned all the bathrooms before visiting the outlaws.

We did end up ordering a Chinese takeaway on Saturday night (£13.00) but we find the portions too large and I froze the leftovers for another night.

It was grocery shopping yesterday and I was really pleased that our spend was well within budget despite not shopping for two weeks. Once again I found that the second week of a two week shop was quite illuminating. I realised :doh: that vegetarian sandwich filling (eggs and salad) are cheaper than cooked meat.

The blackberry compote was luvvery on the overnight oats, so need to get picking some more...free fruit what is not to like.

I also used up some half price meat balls, made a tomato sauce and used 20p value spaghetti. This was delicious and reminded me that spaghetti is a much cheaper than shaped pasta.

Yesterday afternoon I started to tackle DS's room and now have 5 bin bags of stuff to take to the charity shop and one bag full of rubbish. I now need to get him to come and pick up what is left.

I discovered the base of his bed is broken (I am not going to ask :eek:), so after a bit of research I have ordered another from JL. A bargain £70 for a white metal bedframe which has great reviews, so hopefully it will be good for the money. I also bought two birthday gifts from JL and used my free £10 ICE voucher:T

I think that is all...I am working from home today so better go and get myself logged on :)
  • Christina_F
    Options
    Please can I ask for the recipe for the blackberry compote ?

Thanks
  • Busy_Mee1
    Options
    Hi Christina
    I just made it up.....basically I just warmed/simmered the blackberries with some sugar and lemon juice. I think I had just under 1 kg of blackberries and 100g of sugar and then poured into into a empty jam jar. I left the blackberries more or less whole but there are different recipes on the internet that involve blending the blackberries and sieving to get rid of the pips.....I don't mind the pips so didn't bother. I think you could just make it by trial and error according to taste - more or less sugar, pips or no pips. Hope that helps.
  • MatyMoo
    MatyMoo Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just read your whole thread, you are doing great!

Just a suggestion for sandwich fillings - if you have a slow cooker you can do your own gammon or cold meats (beef brisket is amazing in the SC). If you have a meat slicer to get it really thin it will go even further!
    :j Proud Member of Mike's Mob :j
  • Busy_Mee1
    Options
    Hi Matymoo thanks for dropping in and also reading my ramblings. I have never cooked joints of meat in my slow cooker, but regularly cook a gammon. I will give it a try.

I seem to have had a bit a spendy week this week. In addition to a glut of parental birthdays coming up, we have a family wedding next week. I have however been trying to keep costs down wherever I can.

I managed to buy a nice H@bbs dress for the wedding on Eba@y and am making a really nice photo frame for the happy couple with photos of their grandchildren ( this is second time around for them and they have asked for no presents) It feels a bit mean to give no gift, so I thought I would do something a bit more personal.

It was a bit dangerous shopping on Eb@y again and I ended up disappearing down a black hole and emerging with a BNWT M&S work dress for £9, a BNWT pair of white skinny jeans for £8.99 and top shop velvet mini skirt for DD for £12. Must.....stop....looking... now :o

The big clear out of DS' room continues and Mr Mee did two runs to the tip yesterday and has the car loaded for another run today. His room is almost clear now, I just need him to come and collect the stuff he actually wants.

The new bed frame has arrived and I need to wash all the paintwork down now. I have bought new bedding (bargain Sanderson Dandelion quilt cover reduced from £90 to £15 in the Bedeck outlet shop) and I now just need to psyche myself up for a trip to the Swedish shop for some other bits and pieces. I might have also bought a new quilt set from Bedeck for us too (Joules) to brighten up our room :D I have a couple of hundred quid pay arrears to come next month which should easily cover the bedroom refurbishment.

In other more MSE news we received some interest in the Virgin ISA of £126.05 which will help the savings totals this month.

I have picked more blackberries and also helped myself to apples that were being offered free in the kitchen at work. I stewed blackberries and apples together and have frozen into portions for my overnight oats. I am also hoping to have a cookathon tomorrow to batch cook some meals for the freezer.

We are on pensioner patrol again this weekend. We did the long journey yesterday afternoon to see the elderly Step Parent and top up his freezer with meals and we will be visiting the MIL today for her Birthday. We do however have a meal out planned with friends tonight so we will get some time for us.

I hope everyone enjoys the extra long weekend x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure