Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Littlebean
    The Knitters Thread
    • 1st Oct 07, 4:55 AM
    The Knitters Thread 1st Oct 07 at 4:55 AM
    Following on from the recent thread about handknitting it is apparent that many of us OS'ers are also keen knitters. The idea of this thread is to give us a place to post comments/suggestions, to be able to chat about our current work in progress (WIP), share patterns/tips/tricks, and post pictures of our completed work (I'm nosy and love seeing piccies ).

I'll get the ball rolling: I've now finished knitting the sweater that sparked the original post. Now I've remembered just how much I disliked making up the finished garment -definately the worst part of knitting. I've managed to pick up and knit around the neck and I've done the collar, but now I have to work out how to set in the sleeves - hmmmmmm. Any suggestions/tips would be gratefully received. I've never knitted a sweater with shaped armholes before - having stuck to straight seams - but having splurged on the yarn I really want the finished product to look nice.
Page 3
    • whatatwit
    • By whatatwit 2nd Oct 07, 3:41 PM
    • 5,387 Posts
    • 15,339 Thanks
    whatatwit
    STOP ........you are making want to go and spend money........must resist.....aaarrgggghhhh.......no will power.....ebay here I come.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Littlebean
    I know what you mean Whatatwit - I've had to seriously curb my ebay habit in the last few weeks. I'm in the process of setting up a wishlist for myself. That way my family will know what to buy me for Christmas/birthdays etc. There are just so many tempting things out there to try.

Getting fed up of the eternal stocking stitch, I decided to try doing a pair of socks as a kind of 'filler' between other projects. I battled with double pointed needles for about 10 rows and found them really fiddly - they seem to have a life of their own and its like knitting with cocktail sticks! Then I bought a small circular needle from ebay - joy - so easy to use and helps you really fly round the rows. Only problem is that there is no natural break at the end of a row - so I kind of forget to go to the loo or get up to stretch my legs - LOL. I'm almost at the 'turning the heel' point though so things might go seriously pear-shaped.
    • whatatwit
    • By whatatwit 3rd Oct 07, 6:31 AM
    • 5,387 Posts
    • 15,339 Thanks
    whatatwit
    Having read about socks on here, I too am tempted to have a go.
    But my OH already thinks I have too much spare time on my hands when he finds me knitting a bobble hat for a smoothie bottle.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
    • Ishtar
    • By Ishtar 3rd Oct 07, 7:13 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 11,332 Thanks
    Ishtar
    Getting fed up of the eternal stocking stitch...
    Originally posted by Littlebean
    Me too - can't abide it. I've mentioned before that I'm doing a Thomas the Tank jumper for DD but as a 'treat' I've left the front until last. This way I've done the boring stocking stitch and now I've got the interesting motif to look forward to.

My sister knits on dpns all the time...I suppose it means she doesn't have to sew anything up! She mainly knits toys though, so its all quite small. Me, I can't really get on with them at all.

I saw a lovely knitted jacket in Adams yesterday costing 12, so I'm off to search the internet for a pattern, as DD seems to have grown out of a lot of her cardigans. It's in a yarn similar to Wendy Moiselle (I have one ball of this in my stash....), so I'm off to see what I can find....

Have a good day all
    D.
  • Olliebeak
    I've always envied ANYBODY who can knit 'in the round' either with double-pointed needles or circular needles. As I stick my right needle under my armpit - this makes dpn's painful and cn's downright impossible!

I still have a cn needle that I bought once for doing a knitted shawl that had over 300 stitches - I thought it would be useful but used as 'ordinary needles' ie turning at the end of a row! Unfortunately my 'underarm needle habit' means I found it impossible to hold it steady .
  • Amethy5t
    help!
    Hi! Hope someone can help me out! I noticed some of you have mentioned knitted bags on here. I would like to 'graduate' from the fluffy scarf brigade and branch out into bags. Does anyone know of any fairly easy patterns or web resources that could help me?

Please be gentle with me!!!
    Last edited by Amethy5t; 03-10-2007 at 9:05 AM.
    • InTheRed
    • By InTheRed 3rd Oct 07, 9:54 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    InTheRed
    Hi Amythest!

Try the web site I recommended on Page 2 for free patterns, they are easy to use as well.

Good luck!

InTheRed
  • moanymoany
    Yes, I add the stitches for the front bands (say, for example, an extra 9 stitches) and rib the band stitches, working the pattern for remaining stitches. That way the front bands are growing along with the fronts. When buttonholes are needed in - for example - left band, I would work the right front first, counting the number of rows to commencement of front shaping. That way I know exactly how many rows are needed between each buttonhole.

Good luck
    Originally posted by libra10

Thank you so much libra10. The making and stitching on front bands is so difficult as they tell you to slightly stretch the band while sewing it on. It is so easy for the end result to look - not good.

The other thing is, when the garment has been sewn up a thin band is knitted, stitches are picked up around the whole front of the garment and then one row knitted and then cast off. I've made a cardi with this kind of finish and it really isn't as good as I want.

I've thought of crocheting just one row, do you think this is a good alternative?
  • moanymoany
    Don't buy knitting needles from ordinary shops, go to charity shops, you may have to ask as some keep them hidden away. You should only end up paying pence and you might work a deal and buy their whole collection, including a needle sizer.

If you find a shop that has a good selection buy lots of sizes while you are there, you are sure to need them as the modern funky yarns need different sizes to the more conventional dk, 4ply, aran, chunky - whatever.

Given the price of knitting needles in regular shops a trip round the charity shops in town is worth a special trip. If you buy 10 pairs for 20p each you could save £20 - 30 pounds.

Now that's moneysaving......
    Last edited by moanymoany; 03-10-2007 at 11:45 AM.
  • Amethy5t
    Hi Amythest!

Try the web site I recommended on Page 2 for free patterns, they are easy to use as well.

Good luck!

InTheRed
    Originally posted by InTheRed
    Hi

This is great! And it has felting as well which is something else I want to try!!! Can't wait to have a go! Many thanks for the suggestion.
    • homealone
    • By homealone 3rd Oct 07, 4:01 PM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    homealone
    If you're a frustrated knitter and don't know what to knit, please consider knitting for your local premature baby unit.
    There are lots of ideas here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/your_community/ray_of_hope/index.shtml
    including patterns for wraps for babies that sadly don't make it.

Once knitted, it seems best to give the items directly to staff in the Labour Ward, not just leave them at the Maternity Unit reception.
    Originally posted by bertha

this is what i started doing couple of years ago when i became immobilised. they really do appreciate them and having had a prem baby myself it was lovely being able to dress him now and then in the tiny beautiful knitted bits as nothing else fitted. anyone considering it should give it a go most of the things knit up quickly but are used and appreciated for a long time by many
    • homealone
    • By homealone 3rd Oct 07, 4:11 PM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    homealone
    I am making socks and fingerless gloves for christmas presents and am well on the way. I did a practise pair of socks for me first and `ironed` out my mistakes. The next pair is going really well, using drops fabel yarn via garnstudio. Fantastic yarn and each pair will cost only 4.50

I also hate sewing together so will explore using circular needles to cut down on edges. I have made 5 baby tops but sewn them together quickly, the type of sewing that just will not do for better garments. I used to have 2 knitting machines and explored sewing together on a sewing machine. It can be done but requires feeder feet top and bottom and copious use of pins. The best way in the old days was via the hague linker but I gave that away when I downsized. I might possibly investigate sewing together with a crochet hook as that should give a very neat finish

I have also done bands with crochet. Very easy and gives a lovely finish

a recommended book for finishing is `finishing techniques for hand knitters` by jane crowfoot
    Originally posted by kittie

sewing together with a crochet hook sounds like a great idea, will have to try that. have recently thought about updating a few jumpers by adding a simple crochet edging to them, anyone else tried this or similar?
  • Peem
    I've used crochet to "sew" together a few jumpers. It gives a nice stretchy finish like the knitting.

I also used to find making up a real chore. But then I discovered mattress stitch. It's great, I like the way the finish is invisible, you get to work on the right side of the work so you can see exactly what the end result will be like, and it appeals to the "anal" bit of me (ooh that doesn't sound quite right ) that likes to ensure each row matches it's partner on the other piece of the garment.
    "You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." - C.S. Lewis
    • kittie
    • By kittie 3rd Oct 07, 4:29 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,059 Thanks
    kittie
    I did crochet bands on a baby jacket and it looked really good. Gave a nice firm edge and was SO much easier and neater than picking up along the edge. Knitting the 5 stitches as an add on is also a good idea and moss stitch gives a very nice edge

I am making a determined effort to use up yarn that I have in so am now making a baby jacket in sirdar snowflake chunky. It is looking very nice already but is HORRIBLE to knit. I cannot tell what stitch I have done and I cannot see the rows to count them and it is hot and sticky to handle. Ah well at least it knits quite quickly

I finished a pair of garnstudio drops fabel socks last night and they are really really nice. Very cosy with good stretch and lovely colours. They were fine to make using 5" dpns by brittany birch.

I have also got 22 balls of debbie bliss merino aran and I have managed to find a pattern in an interweave magazine, so it is stylish rather than full of cables and bobbles. I have dutifully made the tension square and washed it as I would the garment. Rolled it in a towel and it is drying, ready to measure tomorrow. I don`t really bother with the square for baby garments as the size isn`t that imprtant. I knit loose and always have to go about 1mm lower

Peem I am pleased to hear about the crochet sewing. The stitch would be like that on the hague linker
    • libra10
    • By libra10 3rd Oct 07, 6:11 PM
    • 11,886 Posts
    • 276,030 Thanks
    libra10
    moanymoany "...when the garment has been sewn up a thin band is knitted, stitches are picked up around the whole front of the garment and then one row knitted and then cast off. I've made a cardi with this kind of finish and it really isn't as good as I want.

I've thought of crocheting just one row, do you think this is a good alternative?"
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    If crocheting front bands I think I would do more than one row, two or three would be a firmer finish (as mentioned above). It all depends whether you can get your tension correct. Too many crochet stitches and the fronts will droop, too few and they will pull up slightly.

I prefer adding the front band stitches to the pattern and slipping the first stitch of the front band. This keeps it tight and ensures the fronts don't sag.

Good luck.
    • conradmum
    • By conradmum 3rd Oct 07, 7:56 PM
    • 4,836 Posts
    • 9,202 Thanks
    conradmum
    I've used crochet to "sew" together a few jumpers. It gives a nice stretchy finish like the knitting.

I also used to find making up a real chore. But then I discovered mattress stitch. It's great, I like the way the finish is invisible, you get to work on the right side of the work so you can see exactly what the end result will be like, and it appeals to the "anal" bit of me (ooh that doesn't sound quite right ) that likes to ensure each row matches it's partner on the other piece of the garment.
    Originally posted by Peem
    That sounds cool - could you explain how it's done or know any websites that explain it. I learned lots of stitches as a girl at school but I've forgotten how to do them now.
  • Littlebean
    Thanks for the 'mattress stitch' tip Peem, I've seen this mentioned in a book I have so I'll try and give it a go. The sweater I'm doing has broad stripes so this would be ideal to make sure that they match up properly.

Bit of a knitting nightmare yesterday and had to pull back about half of the front of a childs jumper I was knitting. I hate pulling work back, it seems like such a waste of time but there's no point in making something that will be the wrong size.
  • Olliebeak
    At last the treasured knitting patterns have materialised - they had accidentally been taken to bf's flat when he moved (1 month after I moved!). He arrived here weighed down with a tightly sellotaped box in his rucksack, demanding to know what the hell was in it as it had my name on and not his! I must have been storing them in his flat before we moved -so they went with his stuff.

Another matinee coat more than half finished yesterday evening - one of my favourite silver label Paton's ones. Going through those yesterday afternoon brought back so many memories - I could see each of my children in the items as I came across each pattern !
    • Katgoddess
    • By Katgoddess 4th Oct 07, 7:26 AM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    Katgoddess
    Can anyone recommend some Christmas yarn? I want to make some stockings on my knitting loom. Red, green, and white/cream colours would be good.
    "A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for."
    • Ishtar
    • By Ishtar 5th Oct 07, 6:10 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 11,332 Thanks
    Ishtar
    Sorry KatGoddess, nothing springs to mind at the moment - but what a fantastic excuse to get down to the wool shop

I've finally finished the st st on DDs Thomas jumper, starting the motif this evening when she's gone to bed. It's a surprise you see....

Of course, now that I have nearly finished that I'm looking around for something else to knit. I had no joy with the Moiselle for children, there was one pattern for a jumper, but this was not really what I wanted, so back to the drawing board on that one. Might just have to give in for now and *shudder* buy the jacket....

I found this interesting hat calculator here so will whip up some hats for DD (and OH too, if he's not careful!). Seems like they are for simple beanies - and it's an American site, so terminology might be a bit challenging...

Have a great day, all.
    D.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,754Posts Today

7,504Users online

Martin's Twitter