PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Plus size varies from shop to shop & label to label - I have to say from what I've seen it is easier to find smaller things but that doesn't mean there are not larger garments donated in frustration, relief, etc too. Just there's a bit more competition & in some cs a bit more discrimination as to hat is displayed. (Yes, I can point to a local place that is size-ist & shunts everything 16 & up off to its sister shop in Burnley - so I go straight to Burnley. It's frustrating but workable.)
  • Laredouter
    Laredouter Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    Popped into the Haven Hospice in Rayleigh on a whim and got a beautiful blue 100% silk blouse by Cynthia Rowley (?) for £4. The print of the blouse reminds me of Monet's technique of painting water if that makes any sense? It is such nice quality and I love it so much.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 31 July 2018 at 7:28AM
    Options
    Laredouter wrote: »
    Popped into the Haven Hospice in Rayleigh on a whim and got a beautiful blue 100% silk blouse by Cynthia Rowley (?) for £4. The print of the blouse reminds me of Monet's technique of painting water if that makes any sense? It is such nice quality and I love it so much.
    I know exactly what you mean.
    My friend bought me a hand painted silk scarf from a little shop in Cornwall.
    It's exquisite.
    Lucky, lucky you.:T
    What a wonderful bargain. :)

ETA:

https://cynthiarowley.com/

Some lovely, delicate patterns here ^^^^.
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have found a ball dress on ebay however, rrp 90 quid but this was starting bid 20 quid with 3.95 carriage!!!8230; it was open to offers so I offered 16.05 with the 3.95 carriage and I have got it, excited for its arrival and fingers and toes crossed it fits !!!8211; brand new with tags, I thought about it for ages buying new off the website so im dead pleased iv won it
  • Pollycat
    Options
    klew356 wrote: »
    I have found a ball dress on ebay however, rrp 90 quid but this was starting bid 20 quid with 3.95 carriage!!!8230; it was open to offers so I offered 16.05 with the 3.95 carriage and I have got it, excited for its arrival and fingers and toes crossed it fits !!!8211; brand new with tags, I thought about it for ages buying new off the website so im dead pleased iv won it

Regardless of where you bought it from, if you've paid £20 for a dress you were considering paying £100 for, that's got to be a great bargain.
    Hope it fits and looks fab.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My purchase this afternoon was of the 'it's only the price of a coffee' kind. A white, fine cotton lawn, self striped smocky top with a scoopy neck and 3/4 sleeves. Weighs next to nothing so will be great for holiday travel. As new, has that crisp finish and is a proper bright white (not that been thro the washer a dozen times white - or is that just me?) It's a size too big but a belt will sort that...the 'peplum' look is in right now....no?:p Make is Simply Be and cost £1.50 from the hospice chazza.

Proud of myself as I managed to resist a Regatta, as new, graphite grey walking jacket which was on the half price rail at £3. It fitted and felt good on but I know I would regret it at the first wearing. Regatta are not good at 'breathable' so it has to be a Goretex lining for me....I hate that sticky/sweaty/damp feeling with non- breathable waterproof jackets. It did pass the 'cup of coffee' test, (just) but even so I resisted!! :j
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    dress should arrive today, fingers crossed, im desperate to go charity hunting now!
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Been to 3 charity shops today but didn't see anything to float my boat.

One had 2 Radley bags - £14.99 & £9.99.
    The most expensive was leather but not a very exciting design.
    The other was pastel-patterned in an oilcloth material (like Cath Kidston).
    The other gave me pause - it was a Desigual (Spanish make) but I decided I didn't like the style. £9.99.

Yesterday I bought a M&S T-shirt in fuchsia with a bird design. Not that cheap at £2.50 (BHF) but looks unworn and is perfect with my new denim pinafore dress.
    I'd been looking in Primark for short sleeved tops and much prefer the M&S one for around the same price.

And from Air Ambulance, a long sleeved thermal 'HeatTech' top. £1.00.
    These aren't that expensive new but will be good for walking or I may decide to donate it to my sister.
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lucy5781 wrote: »
    Another nice M&S work shirt for DH, £1 in BHF

Good thing too, he left a pen in the breast pocket of another one today and, only checking DsS the 11yr old's pockets for tissues and wrappers, I put it through the wash!!

Thankfully nothing on other items but seriously, he never usually even carries a pen there. Urgh. So annoyed.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Ok, following up on my previous posts...after picking up the keys and going to our new flat we discovered built in wardrobes so have managed to save by not buying any :D

Had to buy new curtains BUT spent a few hours searching through argos clearance curtains and picked three pairs out and have change from £50! Didnt realise how much the ring top curtains had took off/become fashion and the limited range for the traditional topped curtains (which I what I wanted). Duly ordered and are waiting to be collected.

Back to the new flat...upon walking into the lounge we got to see exactly how big it is and have had a rethink on the layout, duly popped to BHF this morning and bagged a two seater leather sofa (a mate is giving us a three seater).

So, my updated list:

Sofa £40
    New bed/mattress £307
    Side board/tv stand £40
    Toiletry (or veg) rack £5
    Laundry box £20
    Delivery £20

Bean bag £5

Curtains £48

Dining table £0

Total £485

Leaves £15 for any other bits of furniture :D more than likely a take away on Saturday as it will be chaos!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure