What to send to Afghanistan?

Options

Comments

• cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

I think he'd love a return ticket but I stuck to the basics of cakes, sweets and crisps. He hasn't got a choice where he goes. Its the powers that be that do that.

All our boys and girls (home and abroad) do a wonderful job

Cuddles:rotfl:
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Send him his return ticket back to England, seen as though they're just wrapping it up out there and it is officially over in 12 months time.

I wish, I think you are confusing Iraq with Afghanistan mate...

We'll be in the 'Stan for years....
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • s30jok
    s30jok Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    If the person you are sending to has a sense of humuor send them out a packet of sand!

Any of the latest dvds or latest music so they can top up their ipods etc.

Haribo's are very good, my wife sent them out to me, they dont melt and they last a long time.

any of that lucozade sport drink powder - to replace minerals etc

any of the latest books, most magazines are available in theatre as well as newspapers.

hope this helps you out
    Wins so Far: 21" lcd monitor, 6 day all expenses paid holiday to China, 8800GTX gfx card, 2x Panasonic cameras, 12 cups and Loads of Twix's, Coffee Lovers Hamper - Wild bean cafe. TomTom (upto value of £200) Aviva Car Insurance
  • Becc4
    Becc4 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    Very first post, but hope this of use to all of us left in UK when loved ones away, I've just had news my parcel was received however a few items 'seem' to be missing! And as I posted it over a week ago I do not remember all items, and therefore have very little grounds to complain to family office etc.. This is the first time I come across this problem and hope it is not a wide spread issue,so my advice would be to write a list and include in box so your loved ones will receive all you expect them to and keep a copy. I will not be caught out like that again.
    Making small changes, hoping they will last....
  • mummyof2angels
    Options
    Becc4, I've had the same problem recently, two parcels that I sent to my hubby in Iraq were both damaged and had things missing and one I sent three weeks ago still hasnt got there! Seems to have gone "missing". I recommend keeping a list of everything you send and make sure you get proof of posting from the post office just incase you need to claim.

One of the best things my hubby has said I sent him was some "wet ones" they are cooling face wipes, aparently good for a quick cool down while out on patrol.
  • blondierm
    blondierm Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    The generic lists avaliable are pretty good, just include a mix of food items, a pack of baby wipes and some entertainment material and you wil have one happy serviceman!

Don't forget, of you are sending out parcels to charities such as SOS, then they are crying out for female parcels as well.

What specifically to include if you know the person will honestly depend on where they are based. Most of the FOBs (Forward Operating bases) only have basic amentites and little fresh ration supply so the needs there will be different to someone based at Camp Bastion where there is opportunity to purchase basic items. If you are sending out a parcel to a FOB then bear in mind it takes about two weeks to get there. If the helos are in demand, then post is often left out of the supply helos to the FOBs to make way for more needed items like personell and ammunition supplies ie post is low priority so may take even longer - bear this in mind with the items that you send - you shouldn't send anything out that is perishable.

When hubby was out there he regularly requested things like smash potato packets, supernoodles, soup packets and savory rice packets, as well as tins of tuna and meat to supplement the rations, as well as beefy jerky wehich went down a storm.
    As Ration packs have very little roughage, nurtigrain, muesli bars and packets of fruit and nut mix go down well, they are also good for energy on the go.
    The lucozade/energy type drinks in sachet form also went down well.
    Tubes of pringles and packs of mini cheddars were also frequently requested. I had send out some of the long life part baked bread rolls etc so they could just bung them in the make shift oven - at hubbys FOB there was no beread at all.
    Haribo sweets are pretty much a staple - they don't melt and the small packets can be eaily put into webbing pouches for eating on to go - they are a good energy boost.
    I also sent over "gucci" socks (not actually made by Gucci, but forces slang for something that is good/better quality than issue) that I got from hiking shop type places. Baby wipes are good for a wash as there was no hot running water in his FOB. Toothbrush and toothpaste was also requested on a few occasions.

I always sent loads of stuff over as they had an "orphan" box, which is were excess stuff was put, so that someone who needed it could take it - some of the marines that were stationed with hubby were form canada or south africa dn therefore their families could not get parcels to them - so they could share in gett8ing the necessities they needed too as they only way to get supplies waas from parcels sent over.

I have also sent over rolling tobacco papers and filters, and cigars too. Even if your serviceman doesn't smoke, he can give them to someone who does.
    My hubby isn't a big reader so I only sent over the odd book. I had also had requests for SD cards for his camera as they take lots of pics and have nowhere to load them onto - Asda do a great 2GB SD card for about £7

It was his 30th birthday over there so I sent over a cake, balloons, hats and streamers to one of his mates out there for them to decorate his grot with - my party poppers got confiscated though as they are an explosive though lol! I have heard it is the same at Xmas - crackers are not permitted. For a present, I sent him over a cheapy MP3 player, along with a song from each year for 30 years. There was a sheet of paper with a list of the years on - all he had to do was match up the song to the year but it kept him entertained for hours.

Oh - and before I forget - most of the FOBs (whether they are allowed to or not lol!) have an adopted pet or pets of some description. Although some of them are looked after by the military, supplies for them can be in short supply. I know the two dogs where hubby was based were sent to camp bastion once a year for their jabs, but were not wormed or deflea-ed so I sent over supplies of spot on and wormer for them, and some of the bedding de-flea spray for their bedding. They also had collars, leads, their own military bandanas and tags sent out to them - talk about pampered pooches!! I did a box for them each with some rawhide treats, a cheapy fleece blanket from ikea, a dog bowl, and a toy in. The dogs were spoilt rotten lol!

Phew! i hope this has helped!!
  • blondierm
    blondierm Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Oh - and I almost forgot - I regularly sent over Centrum Cmplete multivitimains to make sure he still got his RDA whilst on rations!
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Options
    How do you send parcels to people or can you only send them to relatives / friends?
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • Skint_Lynne
    Skint_Lynne Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blondierm has a really good list - I sent my DH most of these items. Thankfully, he got back in one piece and is sat here with me now, he said that the guys appreciate good condiments as well, rock salt, pepper and hot sauces. I used to get an Encona one in a plastic bottle from farmf00ds, so it travelled well.

I think you send random parcels, just address it to any regiment that you know is out there and it will get passed to someone that does not get any mail. HTH
  • BaobabAmy
    BaobabAmy Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with the bit about depends where you are. Bastion has a shop with all toiletries, chocolate, crisps, magazines etc. It also has pretty good food. FOBS can vary - but from friends that were sent to these (I stayed in Bastion) food could be very monotonous.

Home baking survived very well - especially fudge and flapjack. Even cakes that were well packaged. I appreciated magazines, and even the occasional newspaper. Post took from 4 days (at it's very quickest) to 10 days - add 1 week for a FOB.

If anyone's looking for things to send to those they don't know, the hospital in Bastion is always grateful for donations of new flip-flops, shorts and t-shirts of varying sizes. This is so they can give them to soldiers that come through that have all had their clothes cut off in A&E, or ruined by whatever incident they had been involved in. Second hand dvds (including those free from newspapers) are also great for the patient library - gives the guys something to watch when they lying in bed and can't get out. The final thing the hospital were looking for were douvet covers and pillow cases (single size) for the hospital beds. They have some, but not enough when they need constant washing, and a Spiderman douvet set usually cheers the guys up too! Send to the Red Cross Welfare Office, Camp Bastion Hospital, UK JF Med Group, Op Herrick, BFPO 792
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure