Origin Broadband - any good

Options

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    <I trusted MSE to check all the terms for strange things like this when I am browsing their site, before presenting it as a good deal or cheaper than other packages. I thought I could trust their expertise but feel I was wrong about this and I ended up paying far more than the next cheapest package.>>

What expertise they certainly are not going to go down the route of checking every term and condition .Reading every faq and guide trawling the internet for reviews .Especially as its a free service .
    You see an offer on MSE then its up to you to check it out .
  • Supa
    Supa Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you read their terms and conditions? To get the advertised price you would have had to have been lucky enough for them to start your service on the 1st of any given month, otherwise you were paying a lot extra. That's not just a minor difference.

When the customer service guy was explaining why I was paying extra, even then I didn't understand what he was saying (I have schizophrenia which effects my concentration) and I certainly hope your elderly relative or someone vulnerable you might know never has to be deceived by such deceptive terms.

And I never said anything about reviews, your comment isn't helpful. Obviously ultimately the onus is on the customer to check but not all of us are as able to do so without some help. I've learnt a lesson from this, I really did think MSE were more reliable than 'hey check out this great deal': 'Oh yeah most of you guys who signed up payed way more but you should have studied the terms and conditions, oh well'
  • radiantx
    radiantx Posts: 1 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 9 August 2018 at 1:56PM
    Options
    I have been with Origin broadband for about an year. I joined it as they were offering a good deal and were not part of a huge company. MSE recommendation was also a factor.
    However the range of the Router called ASUS is limited. Got no access near my living room TV in a 3 bedroom flat. The Wi-fi signal waxes & vanes and often disappears.. so it is quite frustrating. I am now looking for a better provider. Hope you have better experience with them if you plan to take them.
    :(
  • Saeed
    Saeed Posts: 733 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there.

I can assure you these are not automated responses. The reason we direct people to this email address is:

1. To provide a point of contact for customer queries.
    2. To provide a secure online platform in which personal information can be shared to aid the resolution of said queries outside of a public forum.

We have not closed our website or taken any steps to do so, which is why we are encouraging any customer that experiences an issue similar to the one you are referring to (or indeed any issues) to contact us via this email address so that we can look into it.

If you have a query, just send us an email via that address and we would be more than happy to help. However, as I'm sure you can understand, we cannot discuss private information on a public forum.

Kind regards,

Origin Broadband

I emailed Origin BB with the email address you quote regarding partial month billing which should not have happened but after almost 2 weeks I have not received a reply from Origin!!! What is the point of you being here and/or tell us to email Origin BB??
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have finished my initial 12 months contract and decided to leave Origin. They have sent me an email saying they will charge me £208 if I leave. There is no explanation in the email, no reply when I call, and no response to email.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Saeed
    Saeed Posts: 733 Forumite
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    I have finished my initial 12 months contract and decided to leave Origin. They have sent me an email saying they will charge me £208 if I leave. There is no explanation in the email, no reply when I call, and no response to email.

What no reply on their 03xx number at all. I phoned up the other day and they picked up the phone pretty quickly and I got an answer to my (relatively) simple question.

However, I am still waiting for a reply from them to my email about partial month AND the Origin rep here hasn't replied to me either!
  • RedbullRJ
    RedbullRJ Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 September 2018 at 1:10PM
    Options
    I am finally free! Origin has been a nightmare for me. After paying up front for a year, I got the part month bill that others have got in my second month, what a strange way to do business. My speed was 20% slower than my previous supplier and regularly dropped out, this is obvious to me as I listen to radio on the internet. (Now I've switched again I am back to seamless listening).

Leaving them was a massive saga, which I won't go into here in full, just to say I am so pleased I cancelled my direct debit, as they tried to bill me for another year even though I had carefully jumped through all the required hoops in good time. If you are with them, just make sure you keep all emails, Facebook transcripts, and make note of times, dates and details of any calls (if you can get though) and send your router back via a very reliable "signed for" courier (sent mine RM special delivery) In my experience the customers services and billing is either just terribly managed or has not been fixed for other reasons, you decide.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to balance things up, I've been with Origin for two years now.

I went for their initial 18 month pay up front package back in 2016. I then renewed this again back in March for a further 18 months.

I must admit that I've not had to contact them, as there has been no reason to. The billing has been accurate and the FTTC connection as fast as it can be for our line length (20Mb). It has also been extremely reliable, with no loss of service or slowing down over the whole two year period.

In my case, the backbone is provided by Vodafone and has a fixed IP address, which comes in very useful.

Perhaps I've just been lucky?
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was looking to switch my BB provider, I don't want all the sports an stuff like that just basic BB so was looking around for a cheap supplier, I was with Plusnet but their price had crept up to nearly £40 a month for up to 76 Mb and line rental plus caller ID.
    I found a provider called Origin who were advertising all in BB and line rental for £24.99, I think they have just increased it to £28 a month, it doesn't matter has they have already taken the first payment 3 days after I signed up . It's an 18 month contract with no increase for 30 months, so would be well outside the contract period before they could increase the price. I then went and read some reviews and all I found was a load of people not happy with them, but my thinking is that I have had 7 years with either BT or PN and the line has dropped while I wanted to use it about 6 times in those 7 years, that the service will be just as with the 2 other providers it's only the company that I am paying that is changing.

My question is has anybody moved from a stable connection to another provider on price price grounds alone then found they have constant drop outs after the period of 10 days that it is claimed is the time it takes to work out a stable connection speed for the line?
    I believe people are more likely to complain of a bad service than give a good review of a decent service.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    wild666 wrote: »
    I believe people are more likely to complain of a bad service than give a good review of a decent service.

Without a doubt.

If the external infrastructure is fine and proven then the only variables would be the set-up at the exchange end and the router, I think you should be fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure