PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Eligibility for social housing ?

Options
124»

Comments

• Fennite
    Fennite Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Bit of an old thread to piggyback on but I was in a similar situation. I've been living with my mum for 2 years. I applied, and was put in Band C (bands are A to D, A being the most in need). I thought I'd have no chance, but signed up anyway, and a year later was offered a one bed ground floor flat in a neighboring village near Cambridge. I was really surprised to get it, but it must have been my lucky day. Rent is about 30% cheaper than local market rent, with no deposit needed. One could argue that I can afford market rents, but why should people be paying over 50% of their wages on accommodation costs, I see the market as unfair.

Yes as pointed out it came totally unfurnished, no carpets, no white goods, but I was donated rugs by family. The kitchen and bathroom floors came with lino. I found a fridge freezer for £20 and a cooker for £60 on local buy and sell sites. There is no need to go out and spend £1500 on new white goods unless you are anal about other people's germs and second hand goods.

I'd rather the hassle of going out to source these things than paying two months rent for damage deposit up front on a private rental which would have taken me a further year to save up for.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    Well done you for blagging a Council flat that you didn't need - you must be so proud of your 'achievement'
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done you for blagging a Council flat that you didn't need - you must be so proud of your 'achievement'

Supply and demand again. Surely it is better that a property is let and looked after by a responsible tenant than left empty awaiting a "worthier" person, who might well be the stereotypical pregnant, druggie chav?

Well done, Fennite. I lived in HA, then council one bed flats for years, working full time all the time. Eventually, I met OH; a couple of years later our circumstances changed and we were able to buy. We paid full rent on time all the time and never caused anyone any problems. Admittedly, this was in the 80s and 90s when things were somewhat different and not all HA/LA tenants were the stereotype; many worked.

I am still grateful for the opportunity we had. Paying lower rent = saving for a deposit faster (or at all) does it not?
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    Go and rent privately.

Social housing around here isn't even cheap.

Private rental properties come with much more and effectively are cheaper. The only benefit I see is that they tenancy is secure as long as you pay the rent.

Private rental properties usually come with carpet, a cooker, maybe a fridge, freezer and washing machine. You wouldn't get anything with a housing association property. You just get the walls which require painting or wallpapering at your own expense, the concrete floor and the roof and that's about it. If you need a new kitchen or bathroom you buy one yourself. In a private rental you move and if the LL wants to let out the property again the kitchen or bathroom will be replaced by the LL.

Surely this depends on the HA? We moved into a beautiful HA property 4 weeks ago in a very desirable area. It had been totally redecorated with brand new carpets in every room. It is a HA for over 55s, does that make a difference?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,663 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I think this is a little unfair. Fennite applied and was offered a tenancy, she didn't queue jump, didn't make a fuss, didn't deprive anyone of a property, just waited patiently.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why does everyone assume that it is only people with families who need social housing because they are low paid. Shouldn't single people who don't earn much also get more permanent housing?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure