PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Eligibility for social housing ?

Options
If I am single and 34 and live at parents do I have a chance for a one bedroom social house?

I work full time in a service job and parents would like the space.

I have owned a property before with a mortgage but recently sold it.

I have some money in the bank from the sale, but I wondered if I can apply for social housing at a fair rent instead of privately.

On my local council list there is a number of one beds available.

Comments

• Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No chance , at all
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • Newbiebuyer2016
    Options
    You can apply I don't think you would get very far!

They band according to emergency are you employed?
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends on the area.

Some less desirable areas may have less demand.

You can apply, and see how many points you get.

Any overcrowding at your parents house?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    If I am single and 34 and live at parents do I have a chance for a one bedroom social house?

I have some money in the bank from the sale, but I wondered if I can apply for social housing at a fair rent instead of privately.

Well everyone can apply, but I don't see how your 'needs' require social housing.

You have money and a job.

I don't see any reason for the taxpayer to supplement you beyond any benefit entitlement you are already eligible for.

Social housing is not a 'fair' rent, it is subsidised.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I *think* anyone can apply to go on the list and they allocate points depending on your circumstances.

A friend of mine joined the list when she was 16 and living with her parents, she started getting offered one bed places when she was about 24/25.

That's in the South East though. Where abouts are you?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can go on the list but, unless your council has a glut of empty properties and few people on the list, it would not be unusual to be waiting 10 years+
    If you need to move your options are likely to be to buy again or look at private rented
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Go and rent privately.

Social housing around here isn't even cheap.

Private rental properties come with much more and effectively are cheaper. The only benefit I see is that they tenancy is secure as long as you pay the rent.

Private rental properties usually come with carpet, a cooker, maybe a fridge, freezer and washing machine. You wouldn't get anything with a housing association property. You just get the walls which require painting or wallpapering at your own expense, the concrete floor and the roof and that's about it. If you need a new kitchen or bathroom you buy one yourself. In a private rental you move and if the LL wants to let out the property again the kitchen or bathroom will be replaced by the LL.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the private rents are that unfair, just wait around a little longer. Im guessing theyll have little take up charging unfair rates. When you get oversturated markets prices tend to fall, should be just around the corner if the private rents are unfair. Most markets hit an equilibrium (have a look at supply and demand) eventually.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 May 2016 at 12:04PM
    Options
    Unfair has little to do with demand. Four years ago you could rent a 3 bed house for £700. Rents were just starting to rise as we are within commuter distance from London. Government changes to HB/benefit caps and rising rents in London have made this area very popular. Rents are now double what they were.

Unfair has little to do with it. Council rents are less than half of private rents which will probably continue to rise. I'm not sure its overly useful to tell someone looking to rent to wait until an imaginary bubble bursts. It may not, or it may, but still leave rents much higher than social housing rents. And very much depends on the area, and demand.

However, I do agree that the OP has little chance of social housing in the immediate future unless he can put himself in a vulnerable category.

If the bidding list is anything like my council's, they usually have a results page which shows what priority the winning bidders usually have. Looking at this will normally allow a user to determine if they have any chance of getting housing with a low priority. However, given his circumstances, the OP may not be assessed as having a need at all.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It depends where you live ... where I lived, I went on the list at 18 and at 30 I asked them "how long do you think...." and they said "There's nothing for single people, maybe in 20 years' time we might be able to get you a room in a shared house".

Your best best would be to buy something again.

Or get up the duff by some random/stray oik, that's how most jump the queue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure