PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Eligibility for social housing ?

Options

Comments

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,674 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 May 2016 at 1:23PM
    Options
    It depends on the area:

For example Slough you have to have lived in the borough for 5 years & if currently adequately housed may not even go on the list - you live with parents so you are out...

Whereas Wokingham anyone can go on the list.

What does the housing allocation policy of your local council say about someone in your circumstances?? e.g.
    http://www.slough.gov.uk/housing/housing-register.aspx
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Nobody pays "the remainder". There is no extra to pay. Private rents are higher because private landlords aim to make a profit.
    Ask them...

I don't need to ask them, accounts are publically available, and I've checked.

We aren't going to agree on this, and both of us coming up with examples to highlight how we are correct will not lead to any actual solution.

In some cases the rent does not cover the cost of providing housing, in other it will.

The point really is social housing is allocated on need and the OP does not seem to need it.
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Lioness_Twinkletoes Posts: 1,573 Forumite
    edited 27 May 2016 at 2:25PM
    Options
    In order to secure social housing you have to demonstrate you meet the criteria. This is:

Eligibility: This relates to whether you are a British citizen or not and you will usually need to demonstrate links to the area in which you are applying. This might be family living in the area, you have a job or college place etc.

Need: This will look at several factors. Are you in priority need? Are you homeless or in danger of being homeless? Do you have dependents? Do you have a medical condition? Are you suffering from overcrowding?

If you are accepted by the housing authority as being eligible for and in need of housing, you are then placed on its waiting list. You will be given a banding with A being the highest priority through to E which is effectively 'hell will freeze over or all the social housing stock will have been sold before you get allocated a home'.

Most LA's operate a choice based lettings system (CBL). Once a week all the properties that are available are listed and you get to bid on properties where you would like to live. Most LA's will only allow you one or two bids per week. To give you an idea of how the stock is becoming, my London borough has only nine properties available for bidding. Three of those are Housing Associations so the rent will be higher than social housing.

As a single person, with no dependents and no medical need I would suggest you've got very little chance at all of a social housing home. You might, depending on where you live, get a property after a long wait, but I can guarantee it'll be pretty low rent.

If I were you, with no ties and cash on the hip, I'd be looking to spread my wings and assert my independence by looking to rent privately. You'll get a much nicer home much quicker.
  • Newbiebuyer2016
    Options
    If you have money from the sale of the house then buy one or look up shared ownership.
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    If I am single and 34 and live at parents do I have a chance for a one bedroom social house?

I work full time in a service job and parents would like the space.

I have owned a property before with a mortgage but recently sold it.

I have some money in the bank from the sale, but I wondered if I can apply for social housing at a fair rent instead of privately.

On my local council list there is a number of one beds available.

I'll say it. I bloody hope not.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. Why should you get cheap accommodation when you can pay the market rate? 1 bed properties can be offered to people with a small child.
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    depends on the area you live in.

Some HA give extra points if you are working, over a certain age, no drugs etc etc social housing is not all for single mothers and people on the dole.

As has been said in this thread, a lot of HA charge a lot for their rents, in many cases you can rent privately for cheaper.
  • GobbledyGook
    GobbledyGook Posts: 2,195 Forumite
    Options
    No-one can say because no-one knows where you live.

Where I live you'd have no chance. Where my BIL lives you'd have a good chance as they have a selection of flats available for immediate let, but there is a reason they are empty whilst people are sat on waiting lists for something else.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    All depends on the area. My area it's a points system and you "bid" on available properties. If no one with higher points bids on a property you have bid on then you are in with a chance of getting it. There are always properties coming available, and not just on sink estates. Although they have done well to eradicate those round here in recent years anyway.

Money/living circumstances makes no difference, a guy at work recently sold his house and got a social housing flat.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Up here in the North East it is relatively easy to get a housing association house/flat. Local agency has just built some new flats which they are advertising. Anyone can apply to be on the register, I personally think it is a good idea to do so as you never know when you circumstances may change. Social housing has bands. Up here band 2 is likely to get you housed. However in the South East you may even struggle to get housed on band 1.

Of course a lot of people are anti social housing and think you should fund a landlord's retirement plan...... With social housing you can usually have the home for as long as you like so long as you pay rent and don't act in an unsociable manner. It gives you security and stability. You can make the place your own. You can also be sure they will meet their legal obligations regarding the property. Furthermore any repairs will be completed by their trained professionals. With private rent you are at risk of the landlord's whims regarding the property. Obviously there are many decent landlords but changes in their own circumstances can lead to them needing to sell the property to release money in it for example.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure