PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Nothing's really leaving here atm - but nothing's really coming in, either (except DD's stuff back from uni) (although it's DS3's bday next week...… more Leg0!) - too busy/ tired to shop/ KM. Half term in a week - have plans to list somethings on fb00k and flebay then and hopefully shift some things via that way and CS
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 May 2019 at 10:41PM
    Options
    Today the furniture CS turned down two dining chairs (wheelback style) because they only take sets of 4 + and with a table. They accepted the lone table earlier the year - should have organised ourselves better!

There are two more shops, further away, to try tomorrow - really don't want to have to send the chairs to recycling as they are in good condition, just surplus now that we've been given a set that are more suited to our needs.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    luxor4t wrote: »
    Today the furniture CS turned down two dining chairs (wheelback style) because they only take sets of 4 + and with a table. They accepted the lone table earlier the year - should have organised ourselves better!

There are two more shops, further away, to try tomorrow - really don't want to have to send the chairs to recycling as they are in good condition, just surplus now that we've been given a set that are more suited to our needs.

Might your local freecycle or freegle groups be a solution?
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DawnW wrote: »
    Might your local freecycle or freegle groups be a solution?

DH had an idea so we took them to the Tip Treasures shop at the recycling centre :)
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • NuffinisFree
    NuffinisFree Posts: 421 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone,

First can i say Oh my, I'm glad to find this forum on moneysavingexperts. I've been googling for days about some questions i had on the Konmarie method and all i've found is the same thing in her book on a gillion webpages and blogs.

Second, sorry i've only read back a few pages and dont know everyone and their stories. I know some people are going through bad times and are trying to find some support here and others are here just for the company i expect, whatever the reason or circumstant i just want to wish everyone good luck on their progress.

Third and the main point - I've come here today to ask the lovely community for some info, advise or even just to share your expereince.
    Marie Kondo says to discard first then organise.
    Please can someone tell me what does she mean by discarding? Is it just to decide what you want to keep and what not to keep?
    Or does she mean choose what to keep and get rid of whatever is left by either donating, selling, fixing it.

Its just that i've started the process and now have a pile of clothes that i want to donate, ebay, alter. The same with books, papers, and some komono.
    I dont know what to do, its all starting to get a bit much and muddle up.
    Should I carry on with the catergories and just choose what keep or stop after each catergory and do what ever I need to do to the item to techincally discard it i.e. take it to the charity shop, get it fixed.

What have people found that works best
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hello and welcome, NuffinisFree :)

I generally did a category and then got rid of things from it (sold/ donated/ recycled etc) and then did the next category. Sometimes the process overlaps (eg: having a pending pile to take to the CS at a convenient future point so carry on sorting in the meantime) The important thing to ensure you don't get stuck is to have an exit plan for your discards - and then implement the plan! :D If you choose to sell but don't do it quickly, the process stalls and you can become unstuck and almost back to where you started.

Once you are further through/ completed, it is easier to maintain pending discard piles (eg: I always have a 'CS' bag/ box on the go, but only take it there when it is full - sometimes it can get filled in a week, sometimes not for a month or so)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its just that i've started the process and now have a pile of clothes that i want to donate, ebay, alter. The same with books, papers, and some komono.
    I dont know what to do, its all starting to get a bit much and muddle up.
    Should I carry on with the catergories and just choose what keep or stop after each catergory and do what ever I need to do to the item to techincally discard it i.e. take it to the charity shop, get it fixed.

What have people found that works best
    I've bolded your answer :) our homes are generally more spacious than those in Japan, especially Tokyo, but sorting and tidying need space in themselves! If you know for sure that something is in the discard pile, then discard it. And if Marie Kondo says something that makes things inconvenient for you, then do it differently :) you'll find a very accepting attitude on this thread, don't worry :)

Often, the thing that encourages you/ me to keep going, is that you start to see the space, things start to feel less cluttered, more open, well before you've finished. If I were you right now, I'd attend to the discards you've already identified (except ebay, for me that takes such a long time) first, before anything else, whether it's rubbish bin, charity shop, local homeless shelter, facebook selling page, alterations pile.

And good for you for keeping going in spite of the muddle - I bet you find it a breeze now :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • NuffinisFree
    NuffinisFree Posts: 421 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, greent and Karmacat,

I think my issue with the discard piles are that i'm not sure whether I want to get rid of the items. I'm not sure what sparks joy and what doesn't, I find myself second-guessing things.

Theres a scene from runaway bride I think were they ask 'How do you like your eggs', that how i feel. I dont think i know what i like as i've stuck with whatever was available at the time.

Having said that i think your suggestion of doing one catergy at a time and ensuring the discarded items are gone will probably be better. At least that way i'll have some space for breathing and thinking.

Karmacat - Ebaying is hard, i started almost 7 years ago and at first everytime I tidied a drawer it some how got filled up again. So i started to leave things where they were when listing which was so frustrating as i kept seeing them every day. Since reading the Konmarie method i've now listed items, packed them up and put them in the garage so they are out of sight. I know where they are if they sell, hopefully at the end of the process if the items have not sold i'm just going to donate the rest.

If your short on time try and bulk list items and put in the description that your willing to sell items individually if people want something they can message you.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome, Nuffinisfree.

A question we regularly pose ourselves here: is it really worth the hassle? Is the amount I might get for this item really worth my energy and annoyance?

All my stuff gets donated, either to my parents for further distribution (they are part of an informal church charity network), the local secondhand shop, or husband's relatives in Africa. I hate online shopping and selling :)

If you need the funds, maybe you can try once, and give yourself a deadline? Or wear the old clothes, or the items you don't like very much, around the house, and change into nice clothes when you see other people?

I agree with greent and Karmacat to keep things moving. Maybe sort 15 minutes, divide into correct piles 15 minutes, ebay 15 minutes, go to dump and charity shop 30 minutes? As you can see, I have allocated quite a bit of time to the rehoming part of the process, because for me that is the time it takes.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As GQ once said you need to have an exit strategy, but have one that works for you.
    If the item is fairly expensive and saleable I tend to use Preloved or Gumtree or Facebook for local stuff, anything else goes to favourite charities. I have a Hospice craft shop nearby that gets any redundant sewing or knitting stuff. There is also a local charity supporting trafficked girls that tends to get household equipment and clothing.
    Like GreenT I always have a CS bag in my spare bedroom ready to drop various items in. It really helps you to focus if you already have an avenue for your unwanted items that suits you like Siebrie.
    Good Luck and Happy Kondoing
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure