Options
13»

Comments

• Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for replies.

I have not connected via wire as the devices i am using are Wifi (Firestick and phone).
    We only have 4 devices connected, i have used an app to discover least used channel and am actually the only person in area on it.

NOW TV have now issued a deadlock message.
    Some of their most worrying/puzzling comments are:
    wifi works best without electrical items in the same same (by definition their business model of NOW "TV" is somewhat flawed.
    that wifi speed checkers dont work
    that no company will help with wifi as they provide broadband (why do routers have wifi mode?)

What Wi-Fi channel have you chosen?; you should only use channels 1, 6 or 11 because these are the only three channels that don't overlap and every Wi-Fi network should be on them. If you choose any other channel then you are causing interference for the other channels and this can cause Wi-Fi issues.
  • fair_enough
    fair_enough Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, this has actually improved it slightly, thank you (wonder why nowtv didn't suggest that).
    It still isn't great though. Literally one min 17meg the next 5meg, then 11meg and then drops to less than 1meg.
    Same devices, same room, same speed checker and all within a couple of minutes.
    Plays havoc with streaming my nowtv.
  • fair_enough
    fair_enough Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Takmon wrote: »
    What Wi-Fi channel have you chosen?; you should only use channels 1, 6 or 11 because these are the only three channels that don't overlap and every Wi-Fi network should be on them. If you choose any other channel then you are causing interference for the other channels and this can cause Wi-Fi issues.

Was told by nowtv to pick a channel no one else is on. I am on channel 4.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Options

Yea so channel 4 overlaps channels 1 and 6, so anyone on channels 1 and 6 (plus any channels in between) will cause you problems with your Wi-Fi. This actually causes more problems than if your all on the same channel!.

If lots of people are all on channels other than 1, 6 or 11 then that would mean you have little hope of getting a consistent speed over Wi-Fi.

Your best bet is too split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels and use 5Ghz for your mobiles (modern mobiles will supports this) because 5Ghz doesn't have the same issues with the channels. Then you want to hard wire anything you can such as Now TV boxes.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    yeah using a cable to the nowtv box would be an interesting experement for a week or so.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    If blaming wifi then its time to buy or borrow a wifi router to test .
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Try setting the router to automatically select the best channel. Have you tried moving the router? Put it as high as possible and keep the cables away from other cables.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure